Every Time I Die To Work With Converge’s Kurt Ballou On New Album?

Converge guitarist (and noted producer) Kurt Ballou may have spilled some beans with the below posting made on his Facebook. In it he alludes that Every Time I Die will soon be at his GodCity Studio. Every Time I Die are of course expected to begin recording their new album shortly.

COMMENTS

• MyDarkPassenger     February 28, 2014 at 1:31 pm

It’d be a nice combo tour, but by and large the fan base is the same so there’s not much to gain from a marketing standpoint. Both bands on the bill wouldn’t significantly increase venue size, making it more attractive to tour with a more diverse bill.

At least that’s the reason I’ve convinced myself it hasn’t happened yet.

• there is an overlap for sure, but to think they have the same fanbase is incorrect. there are surely plenty of pansy warped tour teen ETID fans who think converge are noise, and old toughguy hardcore converge fans that think ETID suck.

besides, how often are either band motivated by marketing or what they stand to gain? converge absolutely never, ETID only occasionally. they both put serving their core base at a high priority, and touring together would make lots of people go apeshit.

• MyDarkPassenger     February 28, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Bullshit. Half the fans at an ETID show are under a buck fifty. Converge is probably no different. I love both bands Im ust saying. Lots of skinny legs in skinny jeans. How much havoc could they possibly wreak?

• Stereotypical Evil Archer     February 28, 2014 at 6:35 pm

More ETID fans need to follow the Andy Williams diet and then the structural integrity can be tested.

• Actually it has happened. They toured back then with Cave In. It was a pretty fucking stellar show.

• it was two seperate tours

from autumn to ashes/ETID/cave in/funeral for a friend (2003)

converge/cave in/between the buried and me (2004)

• tenwestchaser     March 1, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Agreed. The production really stood out on that album. He’s great at making things sound clear and punchy as fuck without sounding processed or overproduced. Perfect fit for the bands he works with. My favorite producer/engineer out there. By far.

• tenwestchaser     March 1, 2014 at 6:29 pm

This is so fucking awesome. Two of my favorite things in music coming together. It’s like…if Three Floyds brewed a beer with Founders. It’s extra awesome considering the production on some of their albums lacks the teeth their songs deserve. Steve Evetts has a way of making everything sound mushy. Especially on the Big Dirty. Kurt will make them crush like they’ve always deserved.

• BlueBalls     March 2, 2014 at 5:54 am

Do Texans consider PBR a craft beer now? Damn, y’all need to raise your standards.

I don’t have a problem with Evett’s production of The Big Dirty either, and I loved what Barresi did with Ex Lives. I was kind of hoping that Barresi would be hired again. I’m sure Ballou will do a fine job though.

• evetts and barresi did some stellar work. i think machine is the only producer they’ve had who failed to totally deliver.

• Blueballs…it isn’t just Texas, it’s all over. And it’s not that they consider it a craft beer; it’s all the fucking hipsters thinking it’s “cool” to have a PBR in your hand. Those fake fucks. It’s like part of their costume or something. It’s shit beer.

Back to the topic at hand….I think Ballou will do a mighty fine job with ETID.

• MyDarkPassenger     March 2, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I don’t drink anymore, but I have noticed PBR becoming very trendy. In my day it was serviceable because it was cheap and readily available. Even more annoying are those people that wouldn’t drink a Bud Light if a gun was to their head. If more than three people were involved in it’s brewing, it’s untouchable. Lame.

• Yeah, as I got older I couldn’t stand to drink any of the basic 3 (Bud, Miller, Coors), but I will if that’s what’s around. Heineken and/or any of the Sierra Nevada beers have been my beers of choice for the last decade. A

Apparently I offended a hipster-in-denial with my last post.

• MyDarkPassenger     March 2, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Yeah becoming. As in it wasn’t the case ten years ago when I first started drinking regularly. At least not round these parts.

• In the Dallas-Ft Worth area, it start making its way into stores around 2005. In the last two or three years PBR has become part of a hipster’s costume. If you’re a hipster and don’t have a PBR or Lonestar in your hand you are blacklisted from the United Hipster Society.

• MDP, thanks for explaining, i did NOT understand that

it was already well enough trendy 10 years ago. and i live in fucking maine.

• MyDarkPassenger     March 2, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Right Tom. I forgot for a minute there that things that are trendy in Maine are also trendy in California, which i call home. Every example in history demonstrates that. Silly me.

Did you have a point in all this or…?

• i wouldnt think i would have to explain the point of the maine mention, but you live in fucking california and still are oblivious to PBR, so im just going to stop right here

• Stereotypical Evil Archer     March 3, 2014 at 9:33 am

Nothing wrong with PBR. It’s been around as long as I can remember and I hope it stays. The death metalheads in my town drink PBR pounders proudly.

• PBR has been trendy in the St.Louis area for awhile. I don’t get it. I prefer Budweiser or Whisky if and when I do drink. I’ll drink a PBR on draft, but everything’s better on draft. What really trumps all of the above is Fierce Grape Gatorade. That’s the stuff!!!

• zaodriver     March 3, 2014 at 10:21 am

In Vermont, PBR is everywhere. Then again, Vermont is full of hippie offspring, who then birthed hipsters. I am a fan of Dos Equis Ambar and Samuel Adams. Their are quite a few popular micro-brew places around here that make some excellent seasonal brews.

With the beer talk out of the way, we know Kurt is going to put about double the normal amount of bass guitar into the mix for more of a live feel. Compared to other producers, Kurt have a much more organic, fluid sound. The other producers, as of late, seem to have a thing for making the instruments artificially clear, which makes everything sound sterile. I liked his work on Today Is The Day, Nails, and others.

• BlueBalls     March 3, 2014 at 11:29 am

One of the venues in my town has PBR on draft for $2-3 a beer. That’s a ridiculously good deal for any concert beer, regardless of quality. I’ll drink it if I’m broke, or if I’m already drunk and need to calm down. I can’t tell the difference between PBR, Bud, Miller, Coors, etc. anyways. It’s all shit. Maybe I’m just spoiled living in GR, a town with so many world class craft breweries.

I generally get along with hipsters, too. Maybe that’s because deep down, I am one, even though you couldn’t tell by looking at me (my pants fit and I don’t have a stupid haircut).

• I drink domestics because they’re convenient and there’s not much to them. Dark lagers and pale ales are good for kicking back or eating dinner with. BB – $2-3 is an awesome price. I would drink almost any beer for that price on draft. As far as hipsters go, people are people. I will talk to anybody at anytime.

• tenwestchaser     March 3, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Craft beer is far from being just a hipster thing. It used to be a pretty nerdy group of enthusiasts (think comic book guy, not hipster nerd) until the renaissance we’re currently in. Today, it has one of the most diverse group of fans I’ve ever experienced. That’s one of the things I love so much about it. I’ve met so many people that I would never have had anything else in common with if not for craft beer. Nerdy parents, sport junkies, metal heads, hot chicks, sure hipsters too, and everyone in between. It’s a fucking cool culture that’s more into sharing than any other community I’ve been involved in. Which is a breath of fresh air from the uptight metal community.

• An “organic, fluid sound”? I, too, like to use words completely unrelated to music when describing music.

• tenwestchaser     March 2, 2014 at 6:35 am

Si, señor. Crank TBD on a good stereo and then crank Hot Damn right after. The drums, especially, have no bite. It’s like I’m being gummed at. Hot Damn punches a shit ton harder. Like they always should. It’s not like it’s bad production. It just lacks the punch that I expect out of bands like this. Kurt always brings that crushing sound. They’ll sound better than they ever have (since hot damn anyway). You’ll see.

• tenwestchaser     March 3, 2014 at 9:52 am

My stereos are plenty good. I wouldn’t call myself an audiophile but quality is important to me. Seriously though…you hear that album more than you feel it. Sounds like you need a better stereo, mayne!