The Faceless’ Michael Keene Calls Out Six Feet Under’s Chris Barnes, Says: “The Only Relevant Thing He Ever Did Was Cannibal Corpse”

The Faceless guitarist/vocalist Michael Keene doesn’t hold Six Feet Under vocalist Chris Barnes in high regard. Referencing his condemnation of Green Day‘s Billie Joe Armstrong for childish behavior, Revolver magazine recently asked Keene if there is any similar “childish behavior” in metal.

Keene singled out Barnes in particular, for his altercation with Cattle Decapitation frontman Travis Ryan last November. Speaking in the latest issue (Feb/Mar-2013) of the aforementioned publication, Keene answered:

“All The Time! Chris Barnes recently punched Travis from Cattle Decapitation in the face then tweeted, “If you eat tofu, you’ll get your ass kicked in a fight.” That is completely uncalled for.

The fact that he has been allowed to act like such an idiot for so long is beyond me. The only relevant thing he ever did was Cannibal Corpse and now he covers Cannibal Corpse songs, which is fucking pathetic.

I strongly feel everyone in the metal community should fucking put their money where their mouth is. Like, if you act like an asshole in the regular world, you will lose your job.

I really wish this industry ran like other industries where people are held accountable when they screw up like idiots.”

COMMENTS

• I love how he says “The only relevant thing he ever did was Cannibal Corpse…” so dismissively. Like “Oh, that guy? He only fronted one of the biggest death metal bands of all time and pretty much set the standard. So yeah, fuck that guy.” Really?! Fuckin’ kids these days.

• Fred Fred Burger (Darkdevout)     February 2, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Cannibal Corpse definitely doesn’t compare to the likes of Obituary, Morbid Angel, Deicide and Suffocation. The majority of albums they even did with Barnes sucked.

• No way dude. CC doesnt compare with Deicide? Deicide’s entire career has been subpar. They didn’t even release anything noteworthy until CC’s old guitarist started playing for them.

What is with all the CC hate? In a live setting they blow any of those bands you just listed out of the fucking water. I love Suffocation, but they don’t compare to Cannibal’s live show. Morbid Angel barely even tours anymore, and they definitely aren’t writing anything new thats worth a shit.

• rageofthemage     February 4, 2013 at 8:52 am

@damn. SMOLY HOKES I almost ate my keyboard over your Deicide comment. On the real real though… Chris Barnes is a douche canoe, and we all know this.

Now let’s go listen to Neurosis and smoke a bowl. I’m buying.

• Since when in the “real world” do you lose your job for acting like an asshole? I work with countless assholes and they aren’t in any risk of losing their jobs. In fact assholes run the whole goddamn operation. Chris Barnes has cancelled more damn shows in his career than any respectable musician should be proud of, but this Keene Boy Scout should mind his tongue. He hasn’t been around for nearly long enough to be calling out one of the founders of death metal. I do believe you’d get yer ass kicked for saying something like that where I’m from.

• When would you not? Let’s see, you deck a co-worker and I’m pretty sure you’re getting the axe, my friend. That is, unless you work for an underground fight club or you’re a pimp.

• Fuckin A he’s a founder. Chris Barnes created a vocal style that has been copied over and over again for 20+ years. I’m not saying he isn’t a douche, but give credit where credit is due. The dude was an innovator.

This Keene retard rips off other metal bands and stamps his name on it. You can listen to any one of the Faceless’ new songs and it isn’t hard to mark which ones he rips off. He is a crazy talented guitarist, but there are one’s better than him. When he is still making music in the year 2035 then he can run his mouth. Till then, he should go practice.

• Fred Fred Burger (Darkdevout)     February 2, 2013 at 7:13 pm

He isn’t running his mouth because he thinks he’s hot shit, Barnes is a douche, like you said give credit where credit is due. He may be a very unique death metal vocalist but nothing he does is relevant anymore.

• Chris Barnes can be whatever the fuck he wants to be. This is rock and roll, where did all these rules come from? A majority of the musicians in rock and roll are/were degenerate scumbags at some point in their career. That is what happens in this style of music, people get fucked up and punch each other in the face. This is unacceptable to Michael Keene? Fuck him. That dude needs to get out from behind his pro-tools and go to a bar like the rest of the rock musicians in history.

Rock and roll isn’t an internet activity. (ironic statement.)

• Fred Fred Burger (Darkdevout)     February 2, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Fuck yeah! I’ll just go to school and beat up that scene shit!, make an innocent kid bleed for having a taste in music that differs from my own, I play guitar and played in Hardcore bands before but it’s alright cuz it’s just rock n roll! Teachers and peers have a problem? fuck them.

• GordonLightfootLoverXEX     February 3, 2013 at 7:03 am

Rock and roll isn’t an internet activity. (ironic statement.)

This a moronic statement. “Rock and roll” is not an excuse to act like a twat. Barnes is playing dive bars and vfw posts at this point so he is a legend sadly fading into a much deserved obscurity ala Eddie Money just with about 1/100 the money.

I don’t think Barnes has been in a fight in 20 years where he didn’t either a. sucker punch or b. piss himself and have his roadies jump the other guy.

• Rock and roll isn’t an excuse to act like an asshole, but it is stupid to me that Barnes is getting the third degree for punching some guy in the face. And from a new jack on the scene no less. What, is he supposed to get suspended from school for hitting another student? Come on now.

• MyDarkPassenger     February 3, 2013 at 5:48 pm

No I agree, you may lose your job using overt violence, but assholes thrive in every industry.

Besides, you have to look at each band like a different company. If a coworker hits a stranger at a bar he doesnt get fired. If he hits a coworker he probably will, especially if it occurs in the workplace.

• SpinSwimScream     February 3, 2013 at 11:07 am

Akeldama was easily my favorite album from Mr. Keene. Planetary Duality was fairly decent, but it wasn’t a step forward for them. It was a step in a completely different direction all together. Some bands can pull it off, but I feel they failed big time. I feel like I need to be JP, from Grandma’s Boy, with robot ears, to fully appreciate it. Also, I’ve never been impressed by musicians, who flaunt their playing abilities. Just play good music.

And for Chris Barnes… He’s complete trash. Akeldama alone makes Keene much more relevant. It’s people like Barnes that makes liking this style of music trashy. You smart people know exactly what I’m talking about.

• imavampireimavampireimavampire     February 2, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Chris Barnes is a top tier cocksucker with an ego bigger than a horse’s dick who needs to do metal, and the world, a favor and run into a kitchen knife.

• Afghanistam     February 2, 2013 at 11:26 pm

I met keene after a faceless set in spokane a few years ago when they were still touring in a van. He was a really cool, mellow dude. He personally handed me and my two buddys, who drove all the way from seattle, a 20case of budweiser that keene said inflames (who faceless were opening for), handed to them. But keene gifted it to us because they had to drive to boise. Keene is one of the most talented young metal shredders in the business with an incredibly unique style. I’ve never met barnes obviously, but he sounds like a fucking shit head, not a person I want to meet or ever have a beer with.

• HoodooOperator     February 3, 2013 at 3:01 am

Listen, if you really wanted to give credit where credit is due than you need to recognize that Barnes has been ripping off death metal’s truest vocal pioneer, Cookie Monster, for decades. Meanwhile, does Cookie get any credit? No! And does he care? Fuck no! He does it for the love.

• People seem so passive aggressive these days, OMG I THINK THIS IS DUM LET MEH GO ON TWITTER AND TWAT OFF. That’s what I imagine people are thinking when they tweet, don’t have twitter so personally I have no idea.

1. Pingback:    THE FACELESS' Michael Keene Calls Out SIX FEET UNDER's Chris Barnes - Metal Injection | Drama | Metal Injection