Queens Of The Stone Age’s Josh Homme Handles Grabby Fan Onstage, Says: “I’m Here To Play For You, Not Jerk You Off”

Queens Of The Stone Age frontman/guitarist Josh Homme forcibly ejected a fan who managed to get onstage and apparently tried to hug him during their set in St. Petersburg, FL this past Tuesday, February 04th.

Following the scuffle that emerged, Homme took to the mic and the offending concertgoer:

“Don’t do that, because I’ll fucking… I don’t care if you love me. You can stay right there dude. I don’t know what you’re trying to do. You’re lucky I didn’t fuck you up bro. I’m here to play for you, not jerk you off, you fucking douchebag.”

He then addressed the crowd:

“Cause we’re going to be together right? That motherfucker doesn’t know what we’re talking about. We’re talking about being together, I want to play it for, I want to show you something, I want to be together, you know? I wanna… I want to do something together, but I don’t want this asshole to be up on the stage… Fuck that guy. Long live us, but fuck this guy.”

COMMENTS

• MyDarkPassenger     February 7, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Homme has a long history of calling out concertgoers, but I feel for this guy. He could be a super fan that just had his idol tell him to fuck off. That’s soul crushing.

Hopefully he was just a drunk asshole that got dragged their by a friend.

• Alkeyhalikk     February 7, 2014 at 2:05 pm

If he was a super fan then he should know that a slow song is the worst time to jump on stage, I mean have we learned nothing from the old Tool videos?

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     February 7, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I don’t feel for him one bit. If you disrupt the show for your own selfish shenanigans, you deserve whatever comes your way. In the post-Dimebag age, every artist who hits the stage should be weary of ANYONE who forces their way past security.

Bottom line: People went to the show to see QOTSA perform, not to see your stupid ass act a fool.

• Exactly. Ain’t no stage divers at a QOTSA show. Stay off the fucking stage. This is the same thing as heckling a comedian, and this fool should be treated the same way.

I got tangled in the mic at a Converge show one time trying to stage dive. The mic died and Jake couldn’t finish the song. Everyone in the whole damn place chanted, “Assholeeeee, assssshooollllleeee, etc…” at me. It comes with the territory if you disrupt the show.

• NoSalvation     February 7, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I agree with no getting on the stage while a comedian is performing.. I agree QotSA is probably not the best band to crowd surf to.. but I disagree about the not getting on the stage part. When the music is in your blood, you’ll fuckin do anything that feels right, and it you need to jump on the stage and act like a fuckin monkey on crack, go ahead, more power to ya. And fuck security guards unless you’re actually about to hurt someone.

• carlosfranco     February 8, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Post Dimebag. Really? Just because one person was crazy and killed Dimebag doesn’t mean that that is going cause more people to do it. That was a freak incident and doesn’t apply to anything beyond it. I fucking hate when people think this way. Something did not happen for the entirety of people playing music on stages, hundreds maybe thousands of years and one time a guy gets shot by a nut and now musicians live in post Dimebag era where they are all in danger now. It’s fucking stupid.

• He probably is just a huge fan that wanted to meet his idol, but that’s not how you do it. Homme is in the middle of playing a song, if that’s the time you choose to “meet” him you are interrupting the show and ruining it for every other HUGE fan in the crowd. If you want to meet him so bad wait until the show is over and hangout by the venue’s back door or sneak backstage.

• NoSalvation     February 7, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Damn, the guy was just tryin to give you a fuckin’ hug. I remember when my mom died, everyone at work was giving me hugs, what if I had been like Josh and started screaming “Get away you Fucks!! Stop trying to jerk my dick off!! Wait, you with the big tits, you can jerk me off” Hugaphobic Josh, I bet Nick Oliveri would have hugged that dude and even let him jerk him off on stage.. even if that wasn’t the dudes plan, Nick would have made him do it, and then it woulda kicked into Quick and To The Pointless or maybe You Think I Aint Worth A Dollar… Love those songs. I remember seein QotSA back in the late 90s maybe early 00s and I swear I had never seen so many homosexuals, crossdressers, cocaine, and generally crazy people at a show.. pretty fuckin’ awesome.

• ocillotist     February 7, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Totally agree with you bro, why do people performing feel they need to do comedy at every turn? Josh isn’t a comic and I know that Nick would have embraced the audience member for sure. Haven’t really enjoyed Queens since they parted ways… I do like Mondo Generator though.

• Saw a sevendust show at the same venue in 2005. Some “skin head” type dude managed to get up there and was bum rushing Lajon.. I mean full onn power run. Luckily Vinnie’s body guard picked him up just in time and slammed him down on the stage. I was like “fuck!’ they took a break, then came out with a fired up a doob and finished enemy :)

• Dixon Cider     February 7, 2014 at 5:37 pm

dude didn’t have to berate him, its obvious josh wanted to make sure he acted like a tough guy during a slow song in order to avoid any gayness…lol

• sickboy_xl     February 7, 2014 at 7:10 pm

You pay a General Admission fee to attend a show. Get the fuck off the stage and watch the fucking show. (Unless you’re at a Terror show. That shit is just fun…and encouraged by the band.)

• All of you idiots defending this fan are a bunch of fucking morons. Homme should have laid him out. Things are different today, post Dimebag Darrell incident. For all Homme knows this guy could have gotten on stage to assault or kill him.

Bottom line, unless the band tells you to get on stage keep your ass in the crowd.

• SpinSwimScream     February 8, 2014 at 12:18 am

You’re completely right, man. When there are that many people surrounding you, who you don’t know at all, there’s no knowing what anyone’s given intentions are whatsoever.

And it’s not about the fucking idiots, with huge egos at shows, who are starved for attention. It’s about the music being played, by the artists everyone paid to see. The fans pay to see the artists, not you and your shitty run across the stage.

• carlosfranco     February 8, 2014 at 8:22 pm

• carlosfranco     February 8, 2014 at 8:23 pm

That’s right I just copied and pasted my earlier comment. This post Dimebag shit needs to stop.

• adamonfire     February 8, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Just because you think people should be comfortable with it, doesn’t mean everybody is comfortable with it. Some actors will stop and take photos, others don’t. Some shake hands, some don’t. Everybody wants different types of personal space and they deserve it, and if I’m in a band like QOTSA and someone comes up to me I am most certainly being cautious. If I’m in letlive., I’m telling people to come up – very different attitudes and you should know which one you’re walking into by the first song.

• Well carlos, the day that your job description includes performing onstage in front of thousands of strangers is the day that we will all take your opinion on the matter seriously. I sincerely doubt you can relate to how a (non-hardcore) band feels when a random fan jumps onstage uninvited.

That’s not to say that Homme was at all fearful in this situation. Who knows? He may have just been really pissed that some dildo fucked up his song. As far as his ranting, I’ll give him a pass. When the adrenaline is flowing, sometimes your words don’t come out as intended. It’s not like he tweeted the shit.

• carlosfranco     February 9, 2014 at 10:42 am

Even though I am not a fan, I never criticized Josh Homme or as I call him Modern Elvis. I only criticized the people that use terms like post Dimebag era. Dimebag getting killed by a lunatic did not make that event happening again to another singer any more likely. This is simple common fucking sense. One tragic event does not begat another.

• I never said that you criticized Homme. The part I wrote about Homme was in addition to my response to you, thus the separation of paragraphs.

“One tragic event does not begat another” is an oversimplification of reality. What you’re really saying is that because it hasn’t happened since, that no one should be concerned with the possibility of it happening in the future. Whether it’s more likely or equally likely is irrelevant. You’re doing common sense wrong.

P.S.: Dimebag wasn’t a singer.

• carlosfranco     February 10, 2014 at 1:11 am

The guy above yours comment seemed more about pointing out Homme’s action and justifying them against what my point was and you also brought his actions up so my comment was in relation to both of those points. Since this next paragraph so solely about you and about a different point I will now use a separate paragraph.

The fact that it only happened once is extremely relevant. That if anything means its rare. Its rareness should mean that when someone gets on stage one should assume that the likelihood of that person being there to kill someone is extremely low. Therefore Dimebag being killed should never even enter anyones minds because it was nothing more than a freak incident. Yes that would be common sense because its what should be expected without much thought of the context. Not doing common sense wrong.

Also not once did I call Dimebag a singer. And I’m not sure of the relevance of even pointing that out.

• “Dimebag getting killed by a lunatic did not make that event happening again to another singer any more likely.”

“Another singer” implies that Dimebag was a singer. It’s cool though. English is hard.

• MyDarkPassenger     February 10, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Order! Order I say! First, I agree prominent musicians should be cautious because the world is full of lunatics. However, the term post-Dimebag is a fear-mongering term like post-9/11. Pointless and insulting. The media invented that term for idiots that can’t keep up.

Finally, Dimebag can not be called a singer despite the fact that a YouTube video exists of him doing so. The same can be said of me, but I don’t identify as a singer. I’m more of a sex god super-genius.

• Sweet video shitgun! Your youtube evidence is air tight, as always!

I’m aware that Dimebag has in fact sung before. I sang my ass off on my ride home tonight. Yer pa serenaded his sis back behind the horses stables and nine months later, your silly ass was born. That doesn’t make any of us singers.

And MDP, I can see how terms like post-9/11 or post-Dimebag or whatever could be used as fear-mongering. I think the term was used in this thread to describe a change in artists’ perceptions following the tragedy. Whether or not the threat is any more likely, you can’t deny how shit like that can entirely change a culture.

• Semantics; the core point is someone was killed on stage and can be quite vulnerable to such an attack. I don’t know about where you guys live, but here you either go through something akin to airport security to get into a venue or they just scan your ticket and you walk right in – if I were an artist I would ask for a full pat down and still would not want any individuals on the stage, but that’s my preference and other artist’s preferences should be respected. This is a QOTSA show – not a Terror show. Act accordingly.

• SHOTGUNFACELIFT     February 8, 2014 at 4:17 am

Josh Homme is a faggot , I’m not defending the faggot fan either just saying Josh would of loved to jerk him off off stage. Just like he sucked elton off to get him on his gay fucking album.

I wish someone would pull a dimebag and show Queers of the Stoneage whats up.

• I saw QOTSA a few years ago and it was an awesome show, albeit a little odd. Band came on, didn’t say a word, played for like an hour and a half straight without talking or interacting with the crowd and just left. Awesome set though

• Exactly, I have seen them a couple of times, not exactly fan-friendly but the music was always exceptional. Concerts are not a Democratic process and If everybody had their say at a concert it would be fucking unbearable.

• Yeah a lot of bands hype up crowds to compensate for shitness. Aka every metalcore band out there today

• MyDarkPassenger     February 10, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I’ve seen them 3 times and never experienced this. They do talk LESS than other groups but it’s not Tool-level introversion. Their live album has plenty of talking on it.

• Calm down…let the dude hug ya…..no big deal. No need to talk shit to him in front of the crowd to boost ur ego. Everyone is all pussy now with people on stage. Rock and metal should be wild…fun…dangerous…etc. So what if everyone paid for a show….even after he hugged him….josh could keep on playing the song. The song doesnt have to be note for note cd quality. Its live anything goes time. Every band now is all rock star boo boo hoo boo dont touch me im famous bullshit. Whiny rock star wiimps

• tenwestchaser     February 9, 2014 at 9:19 am

Can’t believe how many people are choosing sides on this. Both parties involved acted like dickheads. That guy clearly chose an inappropriate time and manner of showing his appreciation. Josh also was a fucking dick head about it. I wouldn’t have been happy either but his homophobic tirade was not warranted. Nor was his aggressive man handling. The dude wanted a hug and Josh blew the whole thing out of proportion and somehow turned into a bashing on being jerked off? Wasn’t funny and was a completely tactless way of addressing someone who clearly loves your band. The dude already emberassed himself by climbing up there. Both look like idiots.

• imavampireimavampireimavampire     February 10, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Fuck Josh Homme up his stupid ginger ass. It was completely unnecessary to go off on the guy like that, especially after it was evident that he wasn’t a threat… and anyone that uses Dimebag’s death as justification for this ghost-white dickhound calling a fan a “fucking douchebag” and berating him in that manner is most likely packing an extra chromosome.