Jonathan Davis Says Dubstep Is “Electronic Heavy Metal”, Korn To Self-Release Next Album

Korn frontman Jonathan Davis talked with Noisecreep regarding his J Devil EDM persona. Speaking on his J Devil live shows, Davis stated:

“I make people drop their jaws because I’m just up there telling them to go fuck themselves. No one’s ever done that at an EDM show and crowds are loving it. It’s not like I’m offending anyone, people are like ‘Yeah, fuck you too!’”

He further explained his attraction to the EDM scene, offering:

“North American dubstep is the new electronic heavy metal. It’s the-filthier-the-better in that world, and with heavy metal, it’s the heavier the better, so it’s kind of the same thing.”

When pressed about Korn‘s future plans, he stated:

“We don’t need labels anymore. When the machine worked in the early days of Korn with Epic, that shit was amazing. We had MTVs, we had video stations and labels that cared and put the work in, but now it’s so diluted and fucked up. We’re going underground again. Commercialized music is just commercialized bullshit. Do we really need labels anymore with the way things went with the Internet? I don’t think so.”

The full article can be read over at Noisecreep.

COMMENTS

• stantheclam     August 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Totally agree on what he is saying about the record lable industry.

As far as the EDM scene goes I dont like it and don’t follow it so I cant comment. However I find it revolutionary he would say EFF you to someone and they have never heard it before. I’ve seen dance clubs where artists finger the crowd.

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     August 8, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Sure, he thinks Korn can do without a label, but I’m betting they will change their minds come time to release another album. I’m not even being a hater here; I still like Korn after all these years and all the crap they’ve put out. Let’s be real, though. Since 2005, their visibility has slipped lower and lower with each impending album. Since these guys are whores for cash and fame (honestly, that’s the only thing that drives them these days since they are obviously no longer a “band” in the traditional sense), there’s no way they’ll go indie with an album that will top out at 30,000 copies sold and bury them even further on the totem pole of the hard rock elite.

This band needs to drop the dubstep, get Head back and stop babbling about Illuminati BS. Just take time and focus on decent songs that appeal to your fanbase and they’ll be golden again.

• Relentless_Beating     August 8, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I wouldn’t go as far as to say they will be “golden again”, but they may be able to save themselves from an embarrassing ending to a rather impressive career in their early years.

I haven’t cared much about checking out anything Korn since Untouchables, and even at that point it was kinda clear after Issues that Korn was taking a dive. Then they released the song “Yall want a single” a few years later, and that couldn’t have been more of a joke.

I knew things weren’t going great in the Korn camp when David left to run a restaurant over touring the world in one of the bigger bands of the last 20 years.

Now they have a dubstep album… even with Head back in the band, he can’t be their Jesus.

• blackchapelA7X     August 8, 2012 at 8:00 pm

i have to say i’m fine with Johnathan screwing up a jdevil album with dubstep but Satan forbid he ruins Korn’s good name. i like Korn i bought a lot of their albums and to see him just screw a fan base over because he’s found new music. If he wants to stop making Korn’s sound then at least stop calling himself Korn. and other thing i’m all for not labeling music that sounds that same but when your taking a drastic step from techno to heavy metal (rock) then yeah label it. when you say “screw label” that’s for grindcore to dethcore type shit not two different sounds all together

• hollyhoodb81     August 9, 2012 at 12:39 pm

It’s funny to me how people think jon davis is the first rock musician to incorporate dubstep. Enter shikari, anyone? Dubstep is everywhere. It’s nothing new, and isn’t going anywhere. Thats kind of like calling metal a passing craze.

• J davis says “North American dubstep is the new electronic heavy metal.” Wanker. That’s like saying North American electronic heavy metal is the new dubstep..Everybody ignores the roots. Always wantin to branch off. Dubstep was doing just fine on its on until people like him started embellishing the genre into this diluted, undignified version of metal.

Sorry J, but your dj set is lame. Stop saying shit like

“I make people drop their jaws because I’m just up there telling them to go fuck themselves.”

you used to make people’s jaws drop from being a wildly entertaining lead singer . just do that again instead please

Life is Peachy is still the shit tho am i right?

• MPLSshutdown     August 9, 2012 at 12:05 am

dubstep has already peaked and is in the decline. it’s absolutely everywhere right now and has been for a good 10 months….I will personally buy 10 copies of his record this time next year if anyone..ANYONE still gives a fuck about dubsteb.

• Thanks for sayings so, this Dubstep thing is really pissing me off. From its gut wrenching, bowel moving keyboard commando crap to all these pretty girls hacking the sides of their head up. I’m eagerly awaiting it to be ‘uncool’ and for bands to stop capitalizing on whatever reason it was ever popular in the first place.

• Lifeseclipse     August 9, 2012 at 5:56 am

Yeah, and Justin Beiber is just really radio and kid friendly hip hop. Jon Davis I hope you actually read this message board(since the prp pretty much made you guys a household name) and realize that, you are alone in the dubstep is just computer metal shit. Shut the fuck up, and stop doing anything at all.

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     August 9, 2012 at 4:02 pm

lolwhut

Theprp was created as a RESULT of the nu-metal boom, not the other way around. Korn were already a big name by the time Wook came on the scene.

• Lifeseclipse     August 9, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I dun goofed. I meant to say theprp kept korn a household name. Where else is korn talked about? They should be down the road with Relative Ash and Shuvel. Anger talking.

• am I seriously the only one here that actually thought that The Path of Totality was actually decent?! I actually thought that the dubstep sound complimented their normal low grumble sound.

Now that being said I did see a video of a live performance of “J-Devil” and thought it was utter shit.

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     August 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I thought half of it was good and the other half was shit. Kinda like See You On The Other Side and untitled. It was a huge improvement over Korn III, though.

• Korn stopped being good a long time ago. Dubstep never started being good. Now if only we could get J-Devil on the soundboard and Frankie Palmeri on vocals to do a collabertaion album it would be the perfect storm of shittiness. It’s unbelievable what some people can pass off as ‘music’ nowadays.

• EyeOfEveryScorn     August 9, 2012 at 10:32 am

Davis is so damn stupid. Being from Detroit, old school EDM/Techno was huge here obviously BUT never peaked like it did in Europe. It was it’s own underground thing and it had some cult status. I won’t lie, raves were fun and I mixed and dj’d whilst playing drums in metal bands as well. Being involved in both EDM and Metal alike I can honestly say that stuff like Dubstep is to Techno/EDM as what RapMetal was to ..well..real metal.

Real EDM fans don’t like Skrillex. Real metal fans don’t like Korn. Now we’re going to mix the 2? I wish he was honest and just said he needs to make a quick buck. I’d have more respect.

• Lern2Swim     August 9, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Real metal fans don’t fucking go around acting like there’s a such thing as “real” metal fans.

But, by all means, continue to act as though being a closed minded douche bag is some kind of elitist badge to wear.

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     August 10, 2012 at 4:42 am

Yeah, I gotta agree with this sentiment. Korn aside, if being a “real” metal fan means only listening to a selection of pre-determined and pre-approved artists, then you can count me the fuck out of that scene.

• EyeOfEveryScorn     August 10, 2012 at 6:57 am

I am far from closed minded. If I’m openly admitting that I love EDM and other types of stuff your statement doesn’t make sense.

I can be progressive in my music tastes and scoff at the likes of Korn/Scrillex and their unity. Don’t read into the “real” statement too much.

Both artists, in their respective genres, by many, would consider them garbage. I’m not trying to come off all pompous about it.