Ozzy Osbourne & Zakk WyldeMark Weiss Photography

Ozzy Osbourne Speaks On His Ongoing Recovery Progress And The “Agony” That Followed His Injury This Year


Ozzy Osbourne has spoken to regarding his ongoing lengthy recovery from his fall and the surgery that followed earlier this year. Osbourne had been on the mend from pneumonia at the time and tripped after getting up to go to the bathroom. The fall aggravated the steel rods inserted in him following his 2003 ATV accident, which itself fractured several bones, including some of his ribs, his collarbone and a vertebrae in his neck.

Osbourne told the publication that his current recovery process has been slow and he hopes to be able to play his rescheduled touring. Speaking of the injury/surgery and the time that has followed, he said:

“For the first, say, four months, I was absolutely in agony. I was in agony beyond anything I ever experienced before in my life. It was awful. I’m taking physical and occupational therapy classes, but the progress is very slow. They say it’s going to take at least a year. I’m hoping that I’ll be OK and ready to go by January [when the tour resumes]. I’m really keeping my fingers crossed.”

He went on to reveal that there’s been some lingering complications from the surgeries he underwent. As it turns out the 2003 accident hindered the way his spinal fluid would move. He said of that:

“I was getting a strange feeling sometimes, like nerve pain going down my arms. I used to think it was wear-and-tear from being on the road and didn’t give it a second thought.”

The condition worsened after his latest surgery:

“When they do surgery on your neck, they cut through all the nerves, and it fucked everything up. So I’m wobbling all over the place. And since they cut through the nerves, my right arm feels permanently cold. You’d get a warm feeling in your hands. I wake up with it, and I go to bed with it.”

He has since been prescribed a nerve-pain medication and has been impressed with the results. However, he’s also developed blood clots in his legs and is on blood thinners. Regarding his current level of mobility and stamina, he stated:

“I’m used to getting up, getting on my elliptical and going for an hour or so and breaking a sweat. But I can’t do it. One day, I was doing an hour or two on the elliptical; now I can do just barely half an hour. I go out with a walking stick, and I walk up the road and I’m bushed. The nurse told me, I have to be careful if I bang myself, because there’s a blood clot and all that shit. It’s scary stuff … From 40 [years old] to 70 was OK and suddenly you get to 70 and everything caved in on me.”

He also spoke of the mental toll the recovery process has been taking on him:

“The most depressing thing I’ve been thinking is, ‘Am I gonna walk properly again? Am I gonna be able to perform again? I thought, ‘Well, if I just lay there watching fucking World at War again, I’m not gonna fucking do anything. So do what you can, even if it’s a little, just so you’re doing stuff … I don’t think I can do a rock concert right now. I’ll go, ‘Hello,’ and that’s it.”

Speaking of his current mindset, he stated:

“The progress is so fucking slow. It’s like, come on. My date is January, I hope to fucking God, ’cause I’m gonna go fucking nuts. We’re just keeping our fingers crossed. It’s like making a sculpture. You chip away at it and it turns into this thing. You have to resculpture your life again.”

For more on his recovery and his progress with new music, head to

- Advertisement - Purchase Merch