KEN mode Issue Warning To Those Who Text In The Front Row

While it wasn’t clear if they were entirely serious; KEN mode issued the following warning to those in the front row who spend more time on their phone than watching them perform:

“An open warning to people attending our shows: if you stand in front of us and text while we are performing expect to either be bathed in quite directed mucous or have your phone kicked from your hands by a man with a guitar or bass in his hands. Expect it. No more being polite. Ever. If you want your phone ruined, do it.”

The band posted the warning via their Facebook, where it has been met with a decidedly mixed reaction.

COMMENTS

• invisiblebastard     December 13, 2013 at 10:20 am

I support this. I stand at the back of shows, and I’m so goddamn tired of people recording shows on their phones. Use your eyes and make it a memory. If you wanted to see a show through a screen, go to youtube.

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     December 13, 2013 at 10:43 am

I agree with you, but I feel obligated to point out the irony in your last sentence. If everybody put their phone down during the show, there would be nothing on YouTube for you to watch.

• But if there’s nothing on YouTube to watch, you have even more reason to go see the band live. You get to see them in really high resolution too.

• I tend to agree with you, but it doesn’t sound like they are condemning being filmed while they perform.

“if you stand in front of us and text while we are performing expect to either be…”

I reckon they feel it’s rude to have your face buried in your phone while they’re up on stage giving 100% to their fans, and you couldn’t fucking care less. Ever had a conversation 1 on 1 with someone who was texting while you speak? Makes me want to bathe them in quite directed mucous too!

• Stereotypical Evil Archer     December 13, 2013 at 10:28 am

Kill Everyone Mode

Or buy Google Glass, it’s less annoying than a fucking cellphone and you can still fucking take pictures and record and what have you.

• Lifeseclipse     December 13, 2013 at 10:31 am

Having a concert you attended on your phone to me equates to celebrities sitting where cameras can see them at Lakers games. It really matters to them that there is proof they were there.

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     December 13, 2013 at 10:46 am

I fully support this. It’s sad that so many folks out there can’t disconnect from their toys long enough to enjoy life as it happens. Never mind the fact that you paid good money to be there.

• MyDarkPassenger     December 13, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Could be that they were waiting for Norma Jean and don’t give two fucks about KEN mode. This would be a more worthwhile complaint if they were headlining. I agree with the point about putting your damn phone down but I know I’ve been bored with opening acts plenty of times, and if you’re in the front row you’ve been standing there since the doors opened (unless you’re a dick) and are REALLY into seeing Norma Jean.

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     December 13, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I don’t think it’s too much to ask at any show that if you are in the front row that you at least pay attention to the opening act. Like them or not, they deserve respect for putting themselves out there and it’s gotta be disheartening to look out and see a sea of dingleberries updating their Facebook pages while you perform.

Again. You’re at a show. Put your phone away and live a little.

• adaptedtorment     December 13, 2013 at 11:03 am

Hmm… tonight is last night of a big tour with Norma Jean, this would have been good to announce at beginning of tour. Seems kinda silly to make a threat on phones before the last show…

• With the amount of social media posts that KEN Mode makes on a daily basis, I’d say they should practice what they preach. I for one could care less what KEN Mode eats for dinner every night.

• No, they aren’t. But just like a fan wants to post shit about a show they’re attending, Ken Mode needs to give us the play by play on their inane activities as well. Same concept. Nice try though.

• MyDarkPassenger     December 13, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I can never tell the difference between you two what with your avatars looking so similar while scanning the page. Just wanted to point that out.

• Although I take their post as tongue and cheek, which I’m sure was intended, they come off as whiners in the aftermath comments. They keep bitching about being “disrespected”, please. As much as I do hate those people constantly recording/documenting everything in their lives, deal with it. If your fans are married to their phones, fuck it and stop bitching. You are getting paid to be up on stage and doing what you love. Be happy. Or not. Get a time machine.

• nymets71087     December 14, 2013 at 8:38 pm

If you’re going to call out a particular phrase used in the above comment, you should have went after the obvious gaffe in the first sentence. *Tongue-in-cheek.

• TheMediaProphet     December 13, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Meh. If I’m on my phone during a show, it’s telling other people they need to get to the show. I go to many concerts and have never been bothered by someone texting or recording with their phone. And yes, I usually record at least one song.

I’m confused at to people complaint about this and saying you should be in the moment. Do you never take photos at birthday parties, weddings, or any other time? I’ve recorded some pretty awesome videos at concerts and am capable of enjoying the shown at the same time. I go back and watch them and show them too my son and friends.

I’m way more distracted by drunk people and mores the kickboxing morons that ruin the good mosh pits.

• MyDarkPassenger     December 13, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I feel like if you’re watching through your phone the whole time then you can’t REALLY get into the show that well. That’s been my experience, anyways. I like to record one or two songs just to look at later but then I put that shit down and get down. Oh yeah.

• It’s really not that difficult to record while not even looking at the phone – as long as you aren’t a dickhead that records it vertically. Usually I’ll only hold my phone up high if I’m in front of a pole or all the way to the side, otherwise I try to keep it at a level respectable to the views of others. I used to bring a digital camera to record a song or two, and then I started doing it on my phone, and now I rarely record an entire song – although I’ll grab a :15 Instagram video of bands I like.

• TheMediaProphet     December 14, 2013 at 12:42 pm

What MDP said. I will record one or two shows and then put it up.

Related note – I saw 30STM the other night and at one point during the show, Leto told everyone to pull their phones out. It illuminated the entire venue and made for a cool moment while he was playing an acoustic song.

People are going to use cellphones. Either accept and embrace technology and have fun with it, or be a dick.

• While I agree with this, if someone from the band ruined my phone, I’d probably end up getting dragged out of the venue, because I’d jump that barrier and try to beat the shit out of someone. I’d fail most likely but if my phone got messed up you can bet it’d try. I already paid money to get in the fuckin’ venue, KM is getting their money, so what the hell does it matter? Especially if I don’t care for them. The ones who are interested are gonna obviously listen. Why don’t they focus on putting on a show that’ll make me wanna look up from my phone instead of being little kids about it and trying to smack it out of my head to get my attention. I’m not moving and giving up my spot up front. I’ll wait it out for the band I wanna see and chill on my phone in the mean time. It’s not their business to do something like that if they actually even did, or planed on it. It’s a little attention whore sounding, even though I understand why they said it. That being said, I probably wouldn’t be on my phone in the first place lol because I’m in it to see new bands and hangout. But it’s the principal of the matter.

• BloodyBoneKummer     December 14, 2013 at 2:47 am

If it’s a show that I’m super into, I won’t
        If it’s a show that’s going to be super rowdy, I won’t
        But most bands I see,I’ve seen multiples of times and don’t mind not jumping around or yelling lyrics or whatever the fuck you do for 5 minutes. (It’s usually joint smoking time anyway)