All That Remains’ Phil Labonte On Using Homophobic Slurs: “I Don’t Worry What People Think About Me”

Some of you may recall the controversy that All That Remains vocalist Phil Labonte faced late last year when he called Black Veil Brides frontman Andy Biersack a “faggot” (his subsequent follow-up responses at the time can be found at this location).

Revolver recently asked him about the incident in their latest issue (Nov./Dec. 2012) via the following exchange:

How about when you called Andy Biersack a faggot? After that, you had a lot of people call you homophobic

I don’t worry about what people think about me. I’ll call everyone in my band a faggot and some people who read that get really butt-hurt. I just don’t know why. What happened to, “Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”? I don’t advocate hurting someone’s feelings because of their sexual orientation, but at the same time, if it really offends you when someone says “faggot” you need to man up. It’s just a word.

Do you think gay marriage is wrong?

Absolutely not. Passing laws against gay marriage is the most ridiculous thing in the world. The idea that gay people shouldn’t enjoy the same rights that straight people do, that’s offensive to me, because they’re just people, and it certainly isn’t my right to go ahead and tell people how they can live or cannot live.”

COMMENTS

• To my mind, the issue is more that since violence and political oppression can easily be associated with misgivings over sexual orientation, that using derogatory slurs toward members of that community creates a feeling of inspired collusion on the side of people that perpetuate that perspective. There was a scene in “Louis” where it was explained that the term faggot, originally meaning a parcel of wood, is used toward people of homosexual orientation because they were used as kindling during the burning of…oh man, was it witches? The idea was that they were only worthy of their humanity as kindling.
      I essentially agree with the larger point Phil is making about Freedom of Speech and the value of words, but think he’s missing the mark on the appropriacy of that particular word and the greater historical context of what it means.

• RxInfection     December 7, 2012 at 11:03 am

All I read was:

“The idea that faggots shouldn’t enjoy the same rights that straight people do, that’s offensive to me, because they’re just faggots, and it certainly isn’t my right to go ahead and tell faggots how they can live or cannot live.”

Phil Labonte, you are a hypocritical douche.

• It’s painfully obvious that he doesn’t care what people think about him, since every time he opens his mouth he shows the world what a dumbass, douche-nozzle shithead he is. If I was this big of a waste of skin, I’d try to hide it at all times.

• Am I the only one who doesn’t hate this guy? He made a comment probably without thinking and paid the price, got a bit of a backlash. Then he made a comment WITH THOUGHT and supported gay marriage, which is a much bigger message to put across than innocently (if a little ignorantly) using faggot as an insult.

• “Passing laws against gay marriage is the most ridiculous thing in the world. The idea that gay people shouldn’t enjoy the same rights that straight people do, that’s offensive to me, because they’re just people, and it certainly isn’t my right to go ahead and tell people how they can live or cannot live.”

How many republican politicians did Phil vote for and how many ended up voting in favor of the Defense of Marriage Act? If I had to guess, I’d say all of them. If you support gay marriage then you don’t vote for people who are actively trying to pass legislation to prevent it. It’s that simple. He’s either uneducated or a hypocrite, likely both.

As far as “I don’t worry about what people think of me.” No shit. If he cared what people thought, his latest album wouldn’t have ever seen the light of day.

• Fred Fred Burger (Darkdevout)     December 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm

So if I voted for Romney it’s clearly because I hate gays? not because I want him to balance the budget and or fix the economy?

• I never claimed he “hated” gays because he’s a right-winger, just that the idea of passing laws that deny homosexuals civil rights can’t be as offensive to him as he claims if he’s willing to vote for people who clearly have an anti-LGBT agenda.

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     December 7, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Yes. Also, since you are barely of legal voting age, we have to assume that you voted based on “Dad Politics.” Get off my lawn and such.

• Fred Fred Burger (Darkdevout)     December 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I’m actually a Hardcore Liberal and so are my parents, it was just an example.

• Fred Fred Burger (Darkdevout)     December 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm

and since it was election year my Gov teacher made me do this long ass project, I know the candidates, all their policies and the policies of 3rd party candidates, then I made an informed decision from that, I’m the only one in my household to watch political talk-shows and I’m the one who’s trying to influence my parents.

• adamonfire     December 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I support gay marriage, but it certainly wouldn’t be a tipping point for whom I vote – it just so happens that the majority of the individuals I have voted for in the past 5 years have similar views to my own from a social perspective.

• I wouldn’t vote for anyone who advocates denying a certain group of people equal rights, anyone who denies evolution and climate change while advocating the teaching of creationism in public schools, anyone who votes against equal pay for women, anyone who feels the biggest problems with our country are abortions and those evil unionized school teachers, anyone who feels they have the right to come between a woman and her doctor, anyone who feels that billionaires should pay a lower tax rate than working class people, anyone who wants to privatize our public lands or allow the oil companies to extract resources from wherever they please regardless of what they destroy or who they fuck over, anyone who thinks more guns is the solution to our gun problems, or anyone who thinks we would all be better off if we would just get rid of the public sector while deregulating the private sector.

They’re all tipping points for me. Luckily, all these nutjobs stay on their side of the spectrum, making things really easy on me. Honest question: If a candidate wants to deny homosexuals equal rights because some ancient text says it’s a sin, what about him or her could you possibly take seriously enough to offset that?

• adamonfire     December 7, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I am on your side on all of those issues, but if a candidate fell in line with all but 1 of those I wouldn’t vote against them because of that. I wonder how many are pro a certain stance to get votes? The sad thing is that they run on platforms to get elected, I don’t necessarily believe that so many people can be so white and black on these issues. One tipping point would be the idiots that say how women can’t get pregnant from “real” rape and that they should be forced to keep those children – such an individual obviously has major mental problems.

• Thankfully, Akin was voted out for that legitimate rape shit. The guy who claimed that rape babies were a gift from god was voted out too.

You’re probably right about the whole running on a platform thing, but as long as their voting record aligns with the principles they ran for office on then it’s not a problem for me.

• Wook is a Faggot     December 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I officially approve of Phil Labonté’s position here. The man makes total sense.

Everyone knows that “faggot” is just a term of endearment, and those who try to pretend it’s some homophobic slur to demean and put down gay people are just being whiny little fags that can’t take some rough and tumble now and then. Man up and stop being such a bunch of fucking faggots you faggots.

• adamonfire     December 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I think faggot is an awesome word, and it has evolved beyond the gay-bashing term (just as the word gay has changed meaning numerous times.) Phil and Louis C.K. are absolutely correct.

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     December 7, 2012 at 8:39 pm

You don’t have to worry about what people think about you because you are barely a fucking footnote in the history of music. There are posters on this site who mean more in the scheme of things than you do, you brown-toothed over-compensating midget mothefucker.

• Lifeseclipse     December 7, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Did anyone see the Roast of Zak Wylde where he called everyone faggot? I don’t think he knows any other words. Why is he not put up as an example?

1. Pingback:    All That Remains’ Phil Labonte Says Homophobic Slur Is ‘Just a Word’