Phil Anselmo Speaks On If A Pantera Reunion With Zakk Wylde Is A Possibility

Phil Anselmo of Down, Pantera, etc. fame spoke with 98KUPD.com regarding the bands legacy and more ahead of the impending May 15th 20th anniversary release of “Vulgar Display Of Power“.

Some interesting topics came up, including the possibility of the band ever performing again with Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society, etc.) in place of late guitarist Dimebag Darrell Abbott.

On that Anselmo offered:

“Wishful thinking. And I hate to say that, too. You know, really… I would… Put it this way: my door is always open. I love those guys, I love… Put it this way: I miss that Pantera feel, the feeling of walking out on that stage and performing those songs and having that massive audience just turn into this swirling whirlpool of bodies.

That is something that is missable, for sure. Believe me, man, if that were a truth, I would tell you, but man, the truth of it all is it’s pretty much wishful thinking at this point.”

When asked on whether or not the door is shut on Pantera due to Darrell‘s death, he stated:

“There has been a great distance since Darrell‘s murder. I think Vinnie is in his own place. I can’t speak for the man and I cannot speak for what is going on in his mind, but there are still wide-open wounds and I guess we have taken different paths to some form of recovery that is healthy for us, so I’m not sure where he’s at in his mind.

But, once again, I have nothing but love for Vince. I think the media has a whole lot to do with destroying our relationship. But, you know, the media does, the media does, the media does. And in this day and age, with computers and what-not, you get instantaneous quotes, lines, messages, what-not, tweets and Twitter, etc. etc. etc. Someone could blog, someone could comment, someone could just say, ‘This is rumored… Pantera are getting back together,’ what-not, it’ll go as a truth or come out as a ‘perhaps,’ maybe it’s areal rumor, this type of thing.

Either way, before any of that ever has to happen, Vince and I would have to sit down, hash out whatever problems, whatever demons may exist, and thus far, that day has not come. And, once again, I will say, my door is wide open.”

COMMENTS

• southpawchew     May 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Anyone find it odd that someone who can pen some awesome songs is shoes to fuck up the English language this much? Anyway may not feel at all the same but if they did tour I’d buy my tickets

• cma3585     May 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm

This is the same guy who wrote the lyrics “There’s so much suffrage with my pain”. Not the brightest guy in the world but never needed to be.

• kurtyc1994     August 31, 2012 at 3:13 pm

that means he has the right to exercise his pain you ignorant mofo.
          Phil’s lyrics always expressed his own atttributes, while applying them for others when listening.

• Not to mention, that’s a transcribed radio interview with him just throwing out answers off the top his head. It’s not like he sat down and typed all that out himself.

• damn (your mom's balls)     May 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Is Phil even capable of doing the Pantera tunes anymore? I feel like his voice has sounded like shit for the passed 4 years. Maybe I’m wrong, I’d love to see it happen. But I would hate to hear him butcher a whole set of music.

• damn (your mom's balls)     May 9, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I think its about time Vinny stops being such a puss about this whole thing too man. Shit happens. People die. Move the fuck on. Its not like Phil murdered Dimebag.

• TheMediaProphet     May 9, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Actually, I think that’s the problems. I think Vinnie partially accredits Dime’s death to harsh words and threats from Phil. I read that he thinks that whathisfuck took some of Phil’s interviews and statements, such as the “crush him into a vapor” statement out of context. I can’t say I’ve read that Vinnie holds Phil personally responsible, but he feels that he bears a partial burden. But, as Phil said, I read that on the fucking internt.

• This is true. Apparently, the dude that murdered Dime blamed the brothers for breaking up Pantera because of backwards ass shit he probably read through various irresponsible media outlets. Dime and Vinny never gave hate-fueled statements suggesting violence towards Phil. Along with being a little slow in the head, that piece of shit murdered put “two and two” together and decided it was the brothers that led to the demise of Pantera, which it clearly wasnt. I imagine that’s why Vinny harbors such hate for Phil.

• RxInfection     May 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm

You’re absolutely wrong. That guy didn’t kill Dimebag for breaking up Pantera, he killed Dime and had intended on killing the other members because the crazy fucker thought they ripped off his music. Police found notebooks and shit where he blamed the entire band for ripping off his music or some shit. It had nothing to do with Pantera splitting up, the media spun it that way because of the existing turmoil between the band, but it couldn’t be further from the truth.

• TheMediaProphet     May 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I think you read my post wrong. I didn’t give a reason that guy killed Phil. I gave a reason that Vinnie may harbor harsh feelings for Phil. And my whole post was built on the fact that things are misinterpreted, misread, and flat out lied about on the internet.

Oh, and here is an interview where Vinnie states, “He said it word-for-fucking-word. He was not coerced, and the kind of shit he said is the kind of shit that might incite the guy that did this [killed Dime].”

• Sorry, RXInfection but you are incorrect. “You broke up Pantera”, those were his exact words he was shouting while he had Dimebag in a headlock with a gun to his head. That has been stated in statements from several of Damageplan’s crew at the sides of the stage. He may have written that shit in a journal or whatever, but the crazy fuck never wrote a lick of music in his life. I guess we’re both correct.

• Well then I guess you’re telling me Chris Paluska, the tour manager who on the side of the stage who took a bullet to the gut, has been telling people around the city since 2004 a pack of lies? I believe I’d take his word over some third person statement from Anselmo.

• RxInfection     May 15, 2012 at 9:20 am

Regardless of who’s right or wrong, the bottom line is Phil didn’t kill Dimebag, and even though they had their spats and problems, there’s no fucking way on earth Phil EVER would have wanted Dime killed, not like that, not ever, not for any reason. This long time grudge bullshit between Vinnie and Phil has gone on FAR too long, they really need to patch shit up once and for all, regardless if there’s talks of a reunion or if they let Pantera stay shelved forever.

1. Pingback:    Philip Anselmo On Potential Pantera Reunion With Zakk Wylde: “Wishful Thinking” | Metal Insider

• coolguy2424     May 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I don’t really believe in Heaven or God, but I feel that Dime would have the biggest shit eating grin of all time plastered on his face if some sort of ‘reunion’ were to go down. Mr. Wylde would rip shit up and fully represent.

• SLAYERGUY79     May 9, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I have been saying this from the time Dime was murdered….the ONLY person that could fill Dime’s axe is Zakk Wylde, and I have been looking forward to it since this passing. There are two factors that could make or break a Pantera reunion. *Damn (your mom’s balls) already spoke on one issue…Phil doesn’t exactly have the voice he did 20 years ago. Secondly, and more important to me, I HOPE Zakk Wylde wouldn’t add his spin on the Pantera songs with his patented pinch harmonics every other fucking note like what he does with Black Label and what he started doing with Ozzy. That is why I quit buying Ozzy albums. Musically, I couldn’t tell the difference between an Ozzy song and a Black Label song. I think Zakk is a hell of a guitar player, but dammit stop the pinch harmonics! Crossing my fingers on this one.

• Donnie Narco     May 10, 2012 at 4:53 am

No Rest for the Wicked ’88, No More Tears ’91, Ozzmosis ’95, (Down to Earth doesn’t count, he didn’t write any of it) Black Rain ’07…. BLS ’98-present. ok so you stopped buying Ozzy albums because 1 album sounds just like BLS?

• wyldweasil     May 10, 2012 at 8:09 am

NO FUCK NO
        Zakk is not the ONLY person. In fact Zakk should be the LAST person to be chosen to do this.

I would think Kerry King or Jeff Loomis would be far better to play a show, HOWEVER, I also believe Pantera died with Dime and it should just stay in the past. A reunion could never be as good as what once was. Vinnie Paul has admited he’ll never give as good as a performance as he did on Far Beyond Driven, and did you see Phil on that Metal Masters show that happened recently?

Bottom line, not worth it.
        Let it die.

• cma3585     May 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm

King can’t even nail his own solos, let alone anything by Dimebag. On that Metal Hammer or Kerrang show recently that had Phil and a bunch of guys doing Pantera stuff, King was absolutely putrid.

• veil your eyes     May 10, 2012 at 7:09 pm

in response to kerry king: what solo’s? i didn’t realize that random laksjdhflaskdjhf hitting of notes constitutes one.

• dissever     May 9, 2012 at 7:15 pm

no. just no. Zakk is a good guitar player but no one has the feel that Dime did. There are thousands of people posting vids on youtube playing perfect covers of some of the most difficult guitar solos but I have not seen anyone fully capture even the most moderate Pantera solos. I feel bad for anyone who never got to see Pantera live but this would just be wrong.

• FarBeyondDriven     May 9, 2012 at 7:41 pm

A Dime-a-gram? I think that would be horribly tasteless and just unfortunate. He WAS great, but he IS dead. Let him rest in peace.

• Aggroculture     May 10, 2012 at 11:21 am

I like Limp Bizkit but not Taproot. And you think Meshuggah is garbage, so your opinion on everything is also worthless.

• Correction. I never said they were garbage. I said half of every album, with the exception of two albums, is garbage.

Still, you like LB. Nobody here takes you seriously when you comment on heavy metal.

• Aggroculture     May 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm

On the pimp rock palace? GTFOuttahere! You’re just bummed I showed you to be an ignorant loudmouth in that Korn thread. Get over yourself. I like a lot more than Limp Bizkit.

• damn (your mom's balls)     May 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I don’t think you showed anybody up on that Korn thread, Aggro. Last I checked Korn still sucks a fat dong.

• Aggroculture     May 10, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Sadly, Korn does suck now. But to deny that they’re one of the most influential bands of the past couple of decades is ignorance.

• damn (your mom's balls)     May 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Influential, yes. They’ve influenced alot of terrible bands into thinking they can write decent music.

• Aggroculture     May 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Yes, and Iron Maiden haven’t? What passes as mainstream metal these days is basically Maiden riffs with some death metal growling.

• Aggroculture     May 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I agree, you don’t need me to show you to be a moron. You do a brilliant job of that yourself.

• Darkdevout     May 15, 2012 at 2:25 pm

LOL what about Nirvana and all of Grunge? they supposedly inspired Nickleback and Creed.

• adamonfire     May 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Step 1: Restart Ozzfest, Sabbath + Pantera co-headline
      Step 2: I go on StubHub and spend an absurd amount of money for close seats due to the pros getting all the good ones
      Step 3: Create prosthetic arm to wear
      Step 4: Masturbate for 4 hours at show
      Step 5: Profit

• damn (your mom's balls)     May 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm

If Machine Head opened for Pantera and Slayer, I would rather stay in the parking lot and drink a couple warm Bud Lights than watch their set. They don’t deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as the other two.

• Darkdevout     May 11, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I bet it would be in Dimes best wishes if they were the opening act, Dime gave Robb Flynn one of his guitars hims self and said he was a big fan of MH, sorry but your alone here. I’m utterly speechless at your distaste for Machine Head.

• Relentless_Beating     May 11, 2012 at 4:02 pm

No thanks. Wlyde can kiss my ass. He’s nowhere near as good as Dime, and I bet couldn’t pull off half the shit Dime did on some of those songs. It would have to be the more straight forward Pantera songs, and he’d just add a bunch of his annoying traits.

There are hundreds and thousands of better guitarists out there then Wlyde, who would be much better to fill this role. I don’t care if they were best friends. Wlyde is not the guy for this job. Sorry, you don’t win points with me for playing with Ozzy.

Just go make another BLS album that sounds like the past 10 you have released.

• coolguy2424     May 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I understand your frustration boss! What are we supposed to do though? Dig up the decayed corpse of Jimi FUCKING Hendrix to fill Dime’s role. Or perhaps the man himself will rise up like Jesus Christ! Christ would have loved Dime. Vice Versa. Let the God’s have their say. Zakk looks like a fucking God btw and plays a mean guitar.

• Relentless_Beating     May 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Just don’t do it at all.

And I don’t mean legendary guitarists either, I’m talking about current day guitarists that are way better then Wlyde.

• damn (your mom's balls)     May 11, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I feel very strongly about subjects related to Pantera. I was their biggest fan. My opinion reigns supreme.

I don’t really give a shit about Korn, unless someone tries to argue with me that they are good. Then we got a problem.

• I like Machine Head’s last two albums. I don’t think they are the greatest band in the world, but they are definitely better than many metal acts out there.

• Go back about 10 years prior to there last 2 albums buddy. 9 times outta 10 they’re better than any metal act out there.

• Relentless_Beating     May 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Really? I would never say something that foolish. MachineHead wouldn’t even touch my top 500 of good bands out there, nor or in the past.

They don’t push boundaries, or do anything amazing. And that rap metal album is just not forgivable. Sorry.

• damn (your mom's balls)     May 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm

It looks like Relentless Beating shares my contempt for Machine Head. That is a weird sentence.

• Relentless, people have opinions that may just differ from yours, deal with it. I am sure you like some bands that many of us dislike and may even find laughable.

Damn, you take your dislike for bands (MH, Metallica) a bit too personally. If you don’t like them, that’s fine. Just don’t get your little panties in such a bunch over it.

• Relentless_Beating     May 12, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Anyone can like whatever bands they like, but just don’t make crazy statements like that about how great they are.

A band that is great, doesn’t go for 8 years being forgettable. Everything after “Things change”, to “The Blackening” is completely forgettable, and a joke. Great bands don’t have horrible slumps like this.

Machine Head is a band that some how managed to stay around, and get some respect back, that is it.

• damn (your mom's balls)     May 12, 2012 at 6:34 pm

My panties aren’t in a bunch over this trust me…. I’m sitting here naked while typing this.

But seriously though, its everyone else that takes my opinion of MH way too personally. People always seem to come out in droves to defend them, suit yourself. I don’t really give a flying fuck. I will never understand why people are always on their dick though. Just ain’t my thing.

• Darkdevout     May 13, 2012 at 10:40 am

Machine Head is the best fucking band that will ever exist, don’t take my opinion too personally tho Damn.

• G Scotty     May 15, 2012 at 2:10 am

Wow quite a machine head thread…I really liked Burn My Eyes…they had some good riffs and cool stuff over the years, but anyone hailing them as a #1 band in existence really needs to expand their musical interests a tad. You really think Machine Head is better than Pantera? But I suppose its all in opinions and popularity. I’d get shot dead in my tracks for admitting that i feel the greatest band of all time (or at least I cannot fucking stop listening) is Every Time I Die.

• Darkdevout     May 15, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I don’t really mean it I was just trying to piss off Damn, although MH is my favorite right now, Still can’t stop listening to UTL, all I said was that Machine should open a Pantera tour, and Damn got all pissy about it.

• 13RebelBAM     December 7, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Phil Anselmo is a SHARP Motherfucker……..make no mistake about it…. He does tend to branch off…he is definitely a riot, yet the man IS beyond PASSIONATE…. One incredible TALENT and an EAR for the music REALM….The guy has his hand in MULTIPLE side projects and is extremely gifted. Him and DIME were the TRUE JUICE to Pantera…Philip is a very EXPRESSIVE individual. He is REAL and down to fucking earth… Not likely to see on most Musical Legends…you can SEE the HUMILITY he has deep within….and the GRATITUDE he chooses to express everywhere he goes. If there was a tainted past, he has DEFINITELY done quite a bit to redeem himself. Out of all the people out there, he lays it down as STRAIGHT as it can go, with the OBVIOUS intent of a Humble individual. The dude is NOT a dumb ass by FAR. Very KEEN and AWARE…