The Word Alive

The Word Alive Claim Their Tour Manager Was Jumped By A Local Band At Florida Show (Updated)


Update – March 17th 1:55pm:

Rainey’s Revenge have now issued the below new statement on the matter:

“Ok, clearly the time has come to comment on this situation that took place with us last night with The Word Alive‘s tour manager. FIRST, we would like to extend our gratitude to all our friends that have had our back and stuck up for us through out all this. As I’m sure you all can imagine, it’s been a very interesting day to be in this band.

So we shall start with the removal of our previous two posts made on the subject. We were asked to by some of the venues employees in light of how the situation was playing out at the time. We did so out of respect for them because the biggest shame in all of this is how sadly Vinyl’s name is getting dragged through all this

So moving to the fight that took place. Lets get one thing straight The Word Alives tour manager was not jumped by any of us in the band. That was what some of the bands that performed last night just decided to say. I’m pretty certain if we straight up jumped a person especially in his line of work we would have been arrested, which did not happen. In fact ZERO legal actions were taken.

We have played numerous shows over the last 5 years and have NEVER had anything close to something like this happen. With that being said I’ll post a statement from our drummer seeing as I personally wasn’t around for this “fight.”

” Before the member of the band could tell us what he said, he threatened to shut the PA off. We played one more song and quickly got off stage. We were all very irritated about the situation but I for one understand that that’s how these things go. However, I don’t think he needed to be so condescending and unpleasant with his delivery. While we were getting our stuff off the stage as quickly as possible, I heard the tour manager say these exact words: “just shut up and get the Fuck off the stage.” By that time, I knew about the time issue. Even after he said that, I still looked at him and got his attention and said, “I am sorry.”

We took our equipment outside and put it away. Some of the members were in the audience watching the next band. Myself and another member of RR went out the side door where the tour buses are and had a cigarette and talked about what happened. We were both fairly irritated. We were outside so we could be alone for no one to hear us as well as being able to hear each other. Our conversation was heated. At that moment, the tour manager stuck his head out of the door because it was slightly ajar and said, “are you still talking shit?! Get the Fuck out of here!”

Now, I have never been in a fight in my life. I usually talk my way out of violence or arguments. I’m not a violent person. I use logic and reason every day.

After the tour manager said that, we all started getting loud with one another. At one point, we all said let’s stop and speak like adults and handle it maturely. And we did just that. Briefly. He grew more and more condescending and got louder and stated that we were nobodies and asked if we’ve ever been on tour. He also said that we have no idea what it’s like to be on tour.

His attitude had us all yelling at each other again and he was nose-to-nose with the other member of RR that I was with. When it looked like things were about to escalate, I put my arms between them and pushed to try to separate them. He then began to yell, “he hit me!! he hit me!!” WHICH I DID NOT. Then I saw him pull his arm back and throw a punch. He punched me in the face. He then started to come at me with more punches. The other member of RR with me stopped him by grabbing him and pulling away from me.

We all went to the ground. I found myself sitting on top of him with my hand on his chest. The other member of RR was also holding him down. The security guard told us to stop and let him up. The other member of RR got up. Then I started to get up and the tour manager punched me again in the face. THAT’S TWICE HE HIT ME. I started hitting him back so he would stop hitting me.

He was covering his head and not hitting me so I got off of him. He then tried to kick me in the groin. He quickly got up and tried to punch me again. That’s when the security guard stopped him and told us that we had to go. We complied. Shortly after the other members of RR were asked to leave.”

SO, that would be our side of the story. We are all fully aware of how the internet works and are sure we will continue to receive more hate mail and what not. Trust me, we’ve seen plenty of it today. Hell we had someone send us a message saying and I quote “I hope everyone in your band gets cancer”. Real nice right?

One thing we want to make VERY CLEAR to everyone reading this. We are not breaking up and we are not changing our name. We will carry on. It will take a lot more than having our name dragged through the mud by people whom haven’t the slightest idea of what really went down to stop us.

Lastly we just want to sincerely apologize to Vinyl Music Hall for all of this. Your staff has been nothing short of amazing to us since the first time we played there opening for Hatebreed in 2011. We cant thank y’all enough for all the amazing shows we have been fortunate enough to play there.

In the end, you have not heard the last from us.”

Original Story:

The Word Alive‘s tour manager was apparently jumped and beaten by a local Pensacola, FL band called Rainey’s Revenge during the bands show together tonight (March 16th) at the Vinyl Music Hall in Pensacola, FL. The Word Alive singer Telle Smith shared their side of the story via Twitter:

“The band RAINEYS REVENGE jumped out tour manager before we played tonight for citing their set due to them going over their time. Bullshit.”

“They are lucky that they are cowards and waited until he was alone. Have fun being blacklisted from ANY beneficial show for life. Ignorant.”

“All in all though we had an amazing show tonight Pensacola. We appreciate you singing your hearts out to songs new and old. We’ll be back ❤️”

“It will never pay to act unappreciative and unprofessional. Topping that off with unnecessary violence will end your career, good job ✌🏼️”

“we have a venue staffer who has already filed a report backing up what happened, he was jumped and defended himself.”

Rainey’s Revenge themselves have also shared their side of the story via their Facebook, via two statements:

“First and for most we want to thank everyone who came and supported us tonight at Vinyl. Y’all were amazing!
NOW for the elephant in the room for those who saw us. Our set was cut short after our first song by The Word Alives tour manage. Long story short we given a chance to play one more song after we discovered this…so in other words we played 2 songs. Naturally we were far from ‘OK’ about this. Sadly the situation got out of hand and to make a long story short we had to leave.

We would like to keep this situation as private as we but however we want to deeply apologize first and for most to Vinyl Music Hall and secondly to all our fans in attendance tonight. It was out of our control being cut short. We would like to offer to all our fans in attendance that if you come to our show this Saturday at Sluggos and bring your ticket stub from tonight we will personally let you in half off. You have our word.

Once again thank you all!
We love you

-Rainey’s Fuckin Revenge”

The Word Alive show at Vinyl.
What really happened.

RR set was cut short due to time issues. We set up fairly quickly but due to some sound issues unbeknownst to us apparently we went 10 min over. After our first song the TM told our vocalist that we had 5 minutes left, and before our guy could even get the word to the rest of the members he said dont try me I will cut the pa off! Needless to say we werent happy about it, but we played one more song and rushed off.

Afterwards two members were OUTSIDE of the venue smoking a cigarette and admittedly they were venting over what had happened. By THEMSELVES. The TM approached our band members getting loud and rowdy with our guys because he overheard the venting they were doing. The RR guys had went to where they were COMPLETELY alone and away from everyone to discuss the show. The TM approached them because he didnt like what he overheard.

After much yelling and finger pointing from both sides the TM punched our member in the face. They then proceeded to grapple with each other. Our other member grabbed the TM and everyone went to the ground. The security asked our member to let him up now that things had calmed. Our member did and the minute he was back up again the TM punched the other member in the face AGAIN and went after him.

The member who grabbed the TM breaking up the two fighting never even threw a punch and the member who was punched was merely defending himself. He was never JUMPED. Other people can claim they saw what happened but there were only 4 people there. Security, 2 RR guys, and the TM.

The TM came from inside the venue, the security was at the door and the RR guys were outside. We sincerely hope the venue has tape on it, because that will show the truth of what really happened.”

- Advertisement - Purchase Merch