Deftones’ Stephen Carpenter Speaks On New Material Progress, Hopes To Put Out Even More Music

Deftones guitarist Stephen Carpenter was interviewed recently by Cypress Hill rapper (and former Kush bandmate) B-Real as part of his smoke box series of interviews—which are hosted over at breal.tv. During the course of the smoked out chat Carpenter had the following to say of the bands progress with new material so far:

“We’re just literally starting to work on new stuff for a new record. We’ve got the makings for one song right now—not an entire one yet. But we’ll be writing over the next few months.We got some shows coming up still, it’s just nice to be home.”

Following a bout of lung collapsing coughs that also touched upon his early influences; he revealed that he one day hopes to break the recording/touring cycle up a bit more substantially:

“The one thing I talk about too with the guys,  and I said, you know, periodically; Is that I would love for us to stay home and sit in the studio for awhile. I mean still go do shows… like for me I feel like I’ve been in this endless cycle of make a record go on tour, tour, tour, tour.

‘Oh we gotta go make another record so we can go on tour again,’ cause somebody told us we gotta make a record. Cause we’re gonna wear ourselves out from touring.

I don’t get it, cause there’s so many places we’ve never been. Every time we go somewhere they’re like ‘you guys take too long to come back.’ I’m like I hear ya but we can only do what we can do, ya know?

So I feel like we could always be doing touring if we want. But my thing is like I want to… I’ve always done records to tour all the time. I want to just sit around and make sick ass music, like crazy songs, and just put out songs, like sit around around for a couple years and just put out music, just constantly, just let it go out. Ya know, do a show here, do a show there…”

COMMENTS

• Check it out – I was talking to him in March if last year and he kept doing those “lung collapsing coughs” where he’d double over and all. It was insane because here we are thinking – woah, is this guy going to make it? – and he’s acting like nothing is even happening. He must have ESP because he read our minds that were thinking about lung cancer and he just started going off unsolicited about how it’s total BS that smoking contributes to cancer. That begged the question – then what causes cancer? He said it’s definitely not smoking – rather it’s the PH in your body being off. The two friends I was with are physicians and one said – we’re just going to have to agree to disagree on that one there.

He was super cool and said a ton if crazy stuff. It made for an great cap to the night! Oh, and that’s the night I learned about Cloudkicker. He was going on about how much he admired Ben Sharp for putting out tons of quality music and not touring.

• You’d think Breal would be cracking up during these coughing bouts. I know I was. I hope he has a good life insurance policy for his family, because he might be playing old Deftones songs with Chi.

• MyDarkPassenger     March 21, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Nice delayed community service. I feel like you actually had a hand in this one.

• Lifeseclipse     March 21, 2014 at 9:45 pm

The thumbs down made it better. I imagine this guy knocking on their window at a red light and telling them that pot is illegal. Prompting B-Real to immediately throw it all away and claim he had no idea. If there was a stop sign on the moon, this fucker would hit his brakes, I’m telling you.

• Lifeseclipse     March 22, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Ah yes. You never forget your first “community service.” I remember mine fondly. I pissed on the floor and told my boss to fuck off. I went directly to the bar and bought everyone drinks for the rest of the night. After a few weeks, and no check in the mail, I returned to my job for less pay, and still owe $2650 on that bar tab. Worth it.

• MyDarkPassenger     March 22, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I don’t remember mine specifically, but I do remember being pretty tickled over it. I usually know when I’ve said something so god damn clever that it’ll make the cut, but I’ve also been wrong too many times to count.

• BlueBalls     March 22, 2014 at 7:06 am

I like it. I’m not one to wear shit that advertises my extra-curricular activities, but the term ‘dabs’ is abstract enough that most people wouldn’t have a clue what it was.

• I just so happened to notice a family friend of mine wearing that exact same shirt in a Facebook post last week. I’m sure they can’t be hard to find.

Same guy also just recently started up his own company centered around dabs merch (on top of his with his already successful marijuana-focused web design company). Check out http://dabbadoclothing.com/ if you’re up for it.

• Porpoise Orifice     March 22, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Stoners are so irritating. Speaking of chiefed, I dare anyone to listen to new Animals As Leaders and not smile during “Ka$cade” and “Physical Education.”

• Porpoise Orifice     March 22, 2014 at 6:41 pm

“Para Mexer,” “The Woven Web,” they’re probably all good. Even if it’s not reviewed, don’t pass up on this treat.

• SpinSwimScream     March 23, 2014 at 2:39 am

You’re right, they’re all good. I am actually excited to buy it tuesday. ‘Physical Education’ is badass. I’ve probably listened to it 30 times now. Even tracks like ‘Another Year,’ ‘Mind = Spun’ and ‘Nephele’ are great too, and all the tracks you named. The whole album!