Chino Moreno Opens Up On New Deftones Album, Chi Cheng Once Again Battling Pneumonia

@deftonesband Deftones vocalist/guitarist Chino Moreno has spoken with “Revolver” about the bands forthcoming as-yet untitled new album. He was quick to point out how smooth the writing and recording process went this time around with little inter-band tension arising. On that he stated:

“It’s not like on some of our previous records where you can hear that Stephen wrote all the heavy stuff and I wrote all the pussy songs. We wrote organically as two guitar players with no ego battles. I play guitar on 10 of 13 songs, which is more guitar than I’ve played.”

According to Moreno, the heaviest song on the album carries the working title of “Roller Derby“, which he likens to “Rocket Skates“. He further described it as: “maximum riffage with a strong melody.”

He also spoke of a new atmospheric track titled “Flashback“, saying it reminded him of something from the bands 2000 offering, “White Pony“. The group once again enlisted producer Nick Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters, Evanescence) for the album, which they plan to release on October 09th.

Covers of Elvis Presley and Earth, Wind & Fire are tentatively expected to serve as b-sides for the release. The full feature can be read in the current issue of “Revolver Magazine” (July/August 2012), which is in stores now.

On a less positive note, a new update on Oneloveforchi.com reveals that band bassist Chi Cheng is once again suffering from pneumonia. The sad news follows a recent bout with blood infections.

COMMENTS

• stantheclam     July 21, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Great to hear about the recording coming along well. Diamond Eyes was a fast turn around from a band I had been losing interest with over the years. I’m very excited to see what they offer on this CD.

• stantheclam     July 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm

If you dont listen to much Whitechapel and want to hear a small tidbit from Chino screaming his guts out – check out Reprogrammed to Hate by Whitechapel the end is chino.

• To be honest, Steph never said it was any worse (or better!) but then again, he and Chino seem like a stubborn mother fuckers who’d NEVER admit they’re wrong (probably like me!)

Either way, you’re spot on, Mein is a fuckin’ tuuuune! And I’m one of the few who are on the SNW is underrated bandwagon.

• Poor Chi can’t catch a fuckin’ break. Jesus, man. High hopes for the dude’s continuing health battles. Granted I’ve never known anyone who was in a coma or lost their faculties the way Chi has, but it seems to me that this motherfucker has one of the most hard-fighting spirits of anybody on earth. Hoping it pays off. Stoked for the new record, as always. Lifetime Deftones fan. Ready for October.

• If they made Diamond Eyes through band tension, I’m anxious to see what all they can do without it. Something tells me that this isn’t exactly a band that thrives on tensions, and if the writing process has been smooth, than perhaps they can surpass even themselves.

• Seems kinda odd. I thought I remembered a lot of stuff in the press about Diamond Eyes with them saying how smooth everything went, especially compared to Saturday Night Wrist, which they say nearly broke them up. Awesome album though. I’m ready for this shit, man.

• Lern2Swim     July 22, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I don’t think he was saying there was tension during Diamond Eyes. In fact, everything I’ve seen stated points to the opposite, as that being them coming back together as a unit. I think he means this is more of a continuation of that. Also, it sounds like he’s specifically talking about him and Carpenter as it relates to guitar playing. He didn’t have a huge part in the guitars, as far as I can tell, with DE.

1. Pingback:    Deftones Guitarists Finding Middle Ground for New Record

• shesoutbackcountingstars     July 22, 2012 at 11:59 am

The whole unfortunate, sad situation with Chi has always made me wonder why the Deftones don’t sift through their archive and release a 4 cd or lp box set of live material from various time periods in their career and give all the money made to Chi. I mean how hard would that be? Who wouldn’t buy that? I sure would. There was a hot sec. in the last 10 years where they were giving away live shows on their website until WB put a speedy end to that. I was lucky enough to get a couple and they sound great! Maybe they’ve already privately given a ton to him and his family, we’ll never know, but it just seems like that something like this couldn’t hurt in the least. I know they set up shows, but come on guys, do more for Chi and for the fans too. Just my 2 cents!

• Hell, I’d settle for a proper b-sides release. That B-Sides and Rarities album was cool and all, but it could’ve been so much more. “Teething”, “Can’t Hardly Breathe”, “Lovers” and a handful of other actual original Deftones songs that were either not on major releases, only on special ones (“The Boys Republic”), or are just harder to come by (a short edit of “Damone”), would DEFINITELY be something I’d spring for regardless of where the money went. But knowing it would go to benefit Chi would make me feel even better about it.

• BlueBalls     July 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Release Eros. Give Chi’s cut to his family for medical expenses. Make a package deal and jack up the price. I’ll pay extra for a t shirt, a koozie, a keychain, some rolling papers, maybe a little bottle of deftones lube or some deftones brand bath salts. Whatever. I’m not too picky.

• BlueBalls     July 23, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Yes, motherfucking N. What the fuck. Not exactly sure how that happened.

“Digital Bath Salts” Good work Jay. I suppose the lube doesn’t need a clever name because I’m just going to blow through it the day I get my hands on the album anyways.

• philippeletigre     July 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm

So, 12 of the 13 are pussy songs. Fine by me. I’m sure a ton of dipshit haters will bitch about how it’s not Adrenaline 2 – it’s like they don’t know there’s heavier stuff out there.

I believe when they say this is their best yet. Bring it. In fact, give us a rough mp3 of a track while you’re at it guys!!!!!!

• This is a band that’s grown with me. I was a kid when Adrenaline came out, and I fucking loved it. I literally wore out the CD. I’ve loved every record they’ve released and it’s clicked with me part of my life I’m in at the time. The bad part about that is that I get further away from those albums as I get older. I’ll be 29 when the new album comes out, and really I can’t even listen to Adrenaline anymore. Just doesn’t do anything for me, and that sucks, but I had my time with it. That just makes me more stoked for new shit.

• TheAmalgamut     July 24, 2012 at 2:34 am

Word! people should try listening to the latter tracks of self title, “Bloody Cape” has an immense ending! Also “beware” has such a chonking breakdown, SNW was great record! The reason why i love Deftones is because i love metal and soft music too, you get a perfect balance between the two! I watched an interview with branon boyd recently saying fans didn’t like the fact a SCIENCE 2 never happened for Incubus, but the point of a band is to progress and if you try to recreate something its never as good as the original so why bother disappointing people? its not asif Tones don’t riff hard anymore…its just far better production these days. best band everrrr :) (Rant over)

• ocillotist     July 23, 2012 at 5:57 am

I really dislike it when artists put down their past work, pussy songs? Really Chino? So I take it he is meaning “Pink Cell Phone” and such… sounds like he is tired of doing interviews (like a pussy! I kid…)

• Daniels0719     July 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I dont think Chino meant to come off as putting past work down. I think he was simply poking fun at himself as though he was amongst friends. I think the man loves what he does and the music he makes.

• Daniels0719     July 23, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I’ve enjoyed the Tones Ride thus far. Every album is its own and has different feels to them. People hate change for better or worse.Diamond eyes is a step into where they are going musically, I think SNW was a nice record and had that summetime BBQ feel to it. The self titled album was their darkest and had that fuck what the public thinks we just want to write what we want this time time around, white pony is their masterpiece, ATF is their heaviest/lush record, and adrenaline s their weakiest however I LOVE it just my least fav.

2. Pingback:    Here’s Another Deftones Song – “Roller Derby” | Metal Insider