Korn & Avenged Sevenfold Set For 2014 ‘Rockstar Mayhem Festival’

Korn guitarist James “Munky” Shaffer has let slip that the group will be playing the 2014 ‘Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival‘ this summer and that Avenged Sevenfold are also apparently up for the bill. Video footage of Shaffer confirming the news to TheNewAmericanMedia at a recent NAMM signing can be found below:

COMMENTS

• MyDarkPassenger     February 1, 2014 at 11:36 am

A7X should absolutely headline over Korn. They may not, but it will be another situation like when people cleared out before Manson came on. I saw a festival with both these bands and the crowd size of Korn could not compare to that of A7X. Based on the respective shows, rightfully so.

• Fred Fred Burger (Darkdevout)     February 2, 2014 at 3:29 pm

• adamonfire     February 2, 2014 at 4:29 pm

That was more of a smaller market arena tour – IE, Korn/Zombie played Grand Rapids whereas A7X played Detroit.

• regardless of it being small market, korn still played before zombie (whom headlined mayhem last year). not to mention the first week sales of the last two albums of avenged and korn respectively:

hail to the king – 159,000
          nightmare – 163,000
          paradigm shift – 46,000
          path of totality – 55,000

• JimCroceLoverXEX     February 3, 2014 at 8:13 am

“Well technically Korn did go on an Arena tour with Rob Zombie, but A7X didn’t need a co-headliner.”

If you’re gonna tell me that a lot of people didn’t go and leave after Deftones/Ghost then you’re wrong because that’s exactly what my friends did. Also, the Chicago date of the A7X/Deftones tour sold poorly because at Mayhe after tickets had been on sale for a few months they were slashing ticket prices to $20 to try and fill the Allstate.

• JimCroceLoverXEX     February 3, 2014 at 8:24 am

“regardless of it being small market, korn still played before zombie (whom headlined mayhem last year). not to mention the first week sales of the last two albums of avenged and korn respectively:
          hail to the king – 159,000
          nightmare – 163,000
          paradigm shift – 46,000
          path of totality – 55,000″

Zombie headlined Mayhem last year and his album sold 1/3 5FDP first week. Although, at this point I think Zombie and Korn are nostalgia acts whose main fan base don’t care about new music ala KISS and Motley Crue.

• obviously record sales arent as much of a deciding factor in tour billing as they once were. point is is that the notion of avenged getting billed above korn isnt exactly ridiculous, especially when zombie just did the same.

also zombie is a slightly different case. new music seems pretty irrelevant when it comes to him. wouldnt be surprised if there are still people who just go to see him simply as a result of the white zombie legacy, probably people who go simply for the show.

• JimCroceLoverXEX     February 4, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I honestly think Zombie get’s top billing because he can pull the “celebrity” card due to his directing and whatnot. Although I remember at Mayhem 2010 Korn headlined over him. Also, the last 2 amphitheater tours A7X headlined/co-headlined (first 2 Uproars) sold very poorly. Tickets were $10 for lawn and they giving out free pit upgrades at the shows.

• JimCroceLoverXEX     February 4, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I mean to say tickets were slashed to $10 a few weeks before the show to attempt to move them.

• Fred Fred Burger (Darkdevout)     February 4, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Regardless if people left after Deftones or not they didn’t have more than a 40 minute set which means they’re no co-headliner. Lets be honest Radio rock doesn’t sell as much as EDM or indie these days due to the rise of hipster culture. Record sales don’t really mean anything especially since Queens of the stone only sold 90k albums to get that number one spot, yet they probably get payed more and play more festival shows than A7X does, the venues they’ve been headlining haven’t been anything to sneeze at ether but I’m confident that A7X would sell better than Korn in this day in age.

• JimCroceLoverXEX     February 4, 2014 at 3:54 pm

There aren’t very many arena metal/hard rock bands left. Outside of Metallica, Iron Maiden, Rammstein or Slipknot (once the whole “haven’t been around in awhile so let’s make sure to see them now” phase dies. That’s also what I think is going to happen to Nine Inch Nails) Anybody can book arenas. Whether you fill them or make money is a different story.

And besides while the technicality of a “co-headliner” is stupid and pointless because if you were trying to get a tour to fill arenas and book a band with a sizable, cultlike fan devotion (Deftones) and a new band who have had everyone under the sun riding their dicks (Ghost). I saw Deftones play the same venue with SOAD in 2012. It sold out quickly without needing to discount tickets and people still left after Deftones at that one too.

• JimCroceLoverXEX     February 4, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Besides, regardless of whoever headlines they are still gonna discount tickets to try and move them for Mayhem. Just like 2013, and 2012, and 2011 and so on.

• MyDarkPassenger     February 2, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I haven’t enjoyed an A7X album since Waking the Fallen but enjoyed their live show in 2013 just as much as I did in 2002 and 2004. They really do bring a great live show. I recommend it to anyone that can at least tolerate a song or two of theirs.

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     February 1, 2014 at 4:45 pm

And Papa Roach. And Methods Of Mayhem. And Crazy Town (twice).

Also, Bowling For Soup.

• JimCroceLoverXEX     February 3, 2014 at 8:31 am

Ozzfest booked only the best like Otep, Wicked WIsdom , Kittie, Coal Chamber, Murderdolls, HellYeah, In This Moment, Disturbed, DragonForce, ILL Nino, The Used, Lost Prophets, Mushroom Head, Soulfly, Primer 55, Methods of Mayhem and Crazy Town

• Stereotypical Evil Archer     February 3, 2014 at 3:27 pm

JimCroceLoverXEX , I never saw that Ozzfest, and I’m glad I missed it.

• NoSalvation     February 3, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Sounds like a list of stuck up bitches, rip offs, crack addicts, child molesters, caps lock happy morons, and a guy who’s awesome brother died then decided to take the worst idea ever and turn into a band. I liked Primer 55 though, shit made me wanna get loose.

• Cyanidenailbomb     February 3, 2014 at 8:45 pm

A lot of the second stage acts in the later years were shit, but I was able to see Slayer, Superjoint Ritual, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Mastodon, etc etc throughout the years I went, so having to endure the crap for those bands makes up for it.

• MyDarkPassenger     February 1, 2014 at 11:32 am

As do I. I felt like Mayhem started off strong but now its gotten pretty used up and uninspired. The support will probably be Killswitch, from what I’ve seen. At least Ozzfest usually kept things fresh.

• BecomesMyVeryShackles     February 1, 2014 at 11:55 am

I think it just has to do with survival of the fittest. As great as Motorhead and Slayer were as headliners, they cannot pack a place like Avenged Sevenfold or Korn. (sad to say) Summer Slaughter has more than made up for summer festivals here in the states.

• MyDarkPassenger     February 1, 2014 at 10:06 pm

You might be surprised by how few people are still interested in Korn as a headlining act. You shouldn’t be, though, given their output over the last decade or so.

• MyDarkPassenger     February 2, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I think within the next couple years the next grunge (but not grunge) movement will pop up and make us all realize what a bunch of hacks are big in music right now. Every 20 years or so natural selection needs to clear out the musical clutter.

• NoSalvation     February 3, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I agree, I’m ready for a wave of vocalists like hit in the 90s. Kurt, Eddie, Layne, Chris, even Manson and Billy.. All very different and none whined like these emo fucks. When it comes to straight up metal, I checked out Throwdown’s new one today and can’t help but hear VoD and LoG vocals the whole time. I still dig it, but surely everything that can be done has been done.. everything that sounds good anyway. I would rather see Korn headline anyday over A7X, I’m not their biggest fan, but Korn’s show is still fun if you let it be. I still dream all day about sex and something about nursery rhymes always gets me.

• Fred Fred Burger (Darkdevout)     February 4, 2014 at 3:40 pm

It’s already happening man, hipster culture duh. All the indie fests that are popping all over the U.S. and selling like crazy? yeah it may not be heavy but it’s where rock n roll is at the moment, bands like Arcade Fire and Fleet Foxes. I’m probably rustling a lot of neck beards with this comment but I actually enjoy what the indie scene has to offer.

• MyDarkPassenger     February 5, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Indie scene is not what I’m talking about. There’s nothing extreme or exciting about indie music. That alt-rock BS was around during the 80s and 90s during hair metal and grunge. It runs parallel to the heavy music scene, not in lieu of it..

• ocillotist     February 7, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Avenged packed Mandalay Bay (Las Vegas) a few months back with Deftones and it was fan-tastic! Therefore, Korn would be perfect playing right before them, especially in 2014. Good stuff either way… Ray Luzier is an incredible time-keeper!