Deafheaven’s “Sunbather” Is Metacritic’s Highest Rated Album Of 2013

Deafheaven‘s latest album “Sunbather” (out now on Deathwish Inc.) received many an accolade this year; landing on the best of lists of various websites. It also managed to secure high placements on year end lists from print magazines like Decibel and Revolver.

Impressively though, Metacritic—which aggregates various reviews to assign an averaged numerical score—have now declared the effort as their best-reviewed album in all genres of music for 2013. You can read more about that and the 24 other albums it beat out for the honor at the above-mentioned link.

COMMENTS

• MetalMusicAddict     December 27, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I’ve seriously tried to get into this album and I just can’t. I don’t get it and I feel like I’m missing out. /me goes back to the latest Whores. EP.

• Porpoise Orifice     December 28, 2013 at 12:31 am

Might be completely off the mark but my scientific hypothesis is that “Sunbather” has gained most of it’s acclaim (and the nod from Revolver) due to its elegant pink cover. Furthermore, I conclude that the new Carcass has just excited fans of old (and fans pretending to be old) but they’ve really brought nothing new to the table, and the drumming is unmemorable.

I would agree with DEP and Gorguts as 2013′s metal viceroys.

• SpinSwimScream     December 28, 2013 at 10:21 am

I really like the way you’re thinking here. I too have tried to soak up this ‘Sunbather’ album multiple times, but cannot get anything to stick with me. There are a few parts that do stick out, but I find myself just waiting for those moments, which doesn’t make it a very fun listen for me.

I was also a huge fan of Carcass’ ‘Swansong’ and ‘Heartwork’ albums, and I completely feel what you say regarding them too. They certainly didn’t break any mold. In fact, a lot of it sounds like they are struggling to be their old selves. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy to have a new album from them, but it’s definitely not what I was hoping for. However, I feel the drums are much better than past releases; especially, if you compare it to ‘Heartwork,’ which they only had a few days to record, which is why it sounds so rough at times.

And DEP… Well, they never seem to do any wrong by me. I love the new album.

• tenwestchaser     December 29, 2013 at 9:05 am

Couldn’t disagree more about Carcass. If they changed, people would complain. If they stayed the course, people would say something similar to what you said. I applaud them for putting out an album that sounds exactly like it came out after Heartwork. Sounds like a band rekindling exactly what made them the band they were back in the day. They didn’t rehash the same old and yet they didn’t let modern trends sway them.

• Porpoise Orifice     December 29, 2013 at 11:38 am

I wasn’t trying to convey my lament for a “bad” record put out by Carcass. Like Mr. SpinScream, I’m very happy to have something new and solid from them.
          I was merely raising my brow to the seemingly unanimous praise it has over certain 2013 records, e.g. the bodacious debut by NK is virtually nowhere to be seen/heard.

• JimCroceLoverXEX     December 27, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Listening to it now. Dig it. Although I’d probably dig a instrumental version a lot more. Excited to catch them with Between The Buried and Me, Intronaut and The Kindred at a suburban sports bar in the Chicago burbs. This is the same suburban sports bar that booked the Every Time I Die, Chariot and .letlive tour though so I think they got some heavy music fans in their management.

• MARIACHI EL willX     December 27, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I just bought Sundbather right before x-mas and have been jamming it in pretty heavy in rotation with Dead Horses by ET. It’s good stuff. Two thumbs up!

• SpinSwimScream     December 28, 2013 at 10:13 am

I was excited for Evergreen Terrace’s new album. For a good amount of the album, I found myself thinking I was listening to A Day To Remember… I was pretty disappointed by that.

• MARIACHI EL willX     December 28, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I am an ET whore.
          Not ADTR whore.
          Perhaps I should not use the “whore” when telling you who I don’t screw.

• MyDarkPassenger     December 30, 2013 at 11:02 am

It’s probably a choice of style more than anything else, but I can’t stand ADTR. They’re like the Blink 182 of… whatever genre you would lump them in. Very poppy, I’ve never been able to stomach that stuff.

But as that one guy said here one time, whatever tickles your taint.

• SpinSwimScream     December 29, 2013 at 7:29 am

Evergreen Terrace was actually good, when ADTR were ‘shit stains.’ That’s why I said I ‘was’ excited for the new album…

• This album did come as a rather pleasant surprise. I wasn’t even aware that I had missed the element of ‘shoegaze’ in music, but to have it thrown at me in such an aggressive format was challenging in the best of ways.

• It’s not my favorite album of the year, but I’m happy anytime a good metal album receives such positive reviews.

I’ve listened to it quite a few times now and I absolutely love the musical arrangements. I don’t hate the vocals but I do think they hold the album back a bit. When I listen to Sunbather, I imagine how perfect the album could be if they had a vocalist with a decent range who could mix in some cleans with his screeches.

• Fred Fred Burger (Darkdevout)     December 28, 2013 at 3:07 pm

the whole point of the vocals was to turn them down and make them feel like an extra instrument. I absolutely love George Clarke as a vocalist, and his stage presence is unparalleled. I would definitely consider seeing them live.

• I do like how the album was mixed in that way. The vocals almost blend in with the music. I like the vocals for what they are, It’s just that the music is so dynamic and the vocals at times seem very homogeneous. I would have preferred a bit more diversity. It’s a minor complaint.

It’s still a couple of months away so it’s hard to tell, but I’m hoping to catch them on the BTBAM tour.

• The drumming and the arrangements are what kept me listening to this CD. The melodies are not that complex but production wise they still bring an “epic” feel to every song. It is a good listen.

• Metal bands do relatively well on the Meta-Critic lists. I think it speaks to the fact that metal music has become vibrant diverse genre, harsh on imitators-open to innovators. Good metal make me think of Zappa on steroids.

• pour meshuggah on me     December 29, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Just found out about this band and heard the new album and I gotta say, it’s the kitty’s titties. What an excellent blend of styles. Also, I think the vocals are as appropriate as they are necessary.

• PeAcE MiNuS 0Ne     December 30, 2013 at 9:13 am

Loving this album and am only checking it out due to this post. Remind me of Rinoa. And I love Rinoa. Check out Rinoa – An Age Among Them. It’s excellent.

• MyDarkPassenger     December 30, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I checked it out on Spotify. Not really my cup of tea but interesting nonetheless. Unfortunate they broke up already with all the buzz they’ve generated.