Bring Me The Horizon Singer On Ex-Lostprophets Members: “We Should Support Them 110% And Not Let One Nonces Life Ruin 5 Good Peoples Lives”

Bring Me The Horizon frontman Oliver Sykes has spoken up to share his support for Ian Watkins‘ former Lostprophets bandmates. His words follow Watkinssentencing yesterday, December 18th, for numerous child sex related crimes.

Here’s what he had to say:

“So Watkins was sentenced & justice was served, wether you think it was too short a stretch or not. My heart goes out to all the victims effected, but I would like you all to consider the impact and destruction watkins has inflicted on his band, and see how them themselves are in some ways the biggest victims of this nightmare.

He destroyed the legacy of Lost Prophets (which were my favourite band ever back in the day) -when your band ends you want to be able to look back at all the good times, listen to the songs you made, reminisce, but that is no longer an option. He has made it extremely difficult for them to continue their love of music and art without people treating them differently because of one mans actions. What ever they choose to do in the future we should support them 110% and not let one nonces life ruin 5 good peoples lives.

Which brings me to [ex-Lostprophets keyboardist/vocalist] Richard J Oliver‘s Incredible art. He recently asked to paint a picture influenced by me, which is awesome, and he is a truly gifted artist. go add him on twitter- @RJOliverfineart and check out his work…”

The Lostprophets were of course disbanded this past October.

Meanwhile, fellow Welsh musician, Bullet For My Valentine frontman/guitarist Matt Tuck also weighed in, though focused on Watkins in particular. You can see his thoughts on the now convicted pedophile below:

COMMENTS

• This surprises me coming from Oli. However, he’s right. They just need to bury the Lostprophets name and start new. We also don’t know if any of the other band members had any influence in these acts.

• I saw that, but I could see them saying that in order to not jeopardize their careers or what people thought of them. I don’t know. Also I agree with very_random_man. The kids are the real victims.

• I call bs, there are so many interview where Watkins says all kind of shit like he is straight edge, doesn’t even drink coffee etc…You’re telling me you are in a band with someone for 15+ years and you don’t know they are some kind of compulsive liar/drug addict/sex addict? I’m sure all these dudes were tag teaming 16 year old fans while doing lines together.

• EyeOfEveryScorn     December 20, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I totally feel your rage on this. I mean, I totally believe that they knew something was way off about him, but would never suspect THIS. They mentioned that Ian became very separate from the rest of the band and it was more of a business atmosphere later on (as can be true in many bands).

What kills me is these guys don’t acknowledge the victims and just defend themselves.

• TheMediaProphet     December 19, 2013 at 10:58 am

I know what you mean, but I doubt he meant that the way you’re taking it. I guess he’s saying that there is a chance the kids can grow up and still have happy, successful lives. These guys are going to be remembered forever as the bandmates of the toddler fucker.

• Rev.J_Blumpkin     December 19, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I’m pretty sure if you read that pdf file of the magistrates ruling, you’ll understand how none of those kids will ever live happy successful lives. They had to endure some truly jaw dropping shit. The judge even says that the one little boy is going to grow up, find out and freak the fuck out. Although I pray they somehow never find out the truth and DO live happy lives like you stated.

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     December 19, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Bring Me The Horizon and Bullet For My Valentine commenting on Lostprophets? Can we get other shitty acts commenting on other equally shitty acts?

For example, you could have an article like this: “Godsmack Frontman and Evanescence Bassist Share Thoughts on Maria Brink’s Coin-Slot.”

• “…and see how [the band] themselves are in some ways the biggest victims of this nightmare.”

Sorry buddy, but I have to call bullshit on that one. The affected children are first and foremost the biggest victims. If the remaining members of the band are actual musicians they can go on to do other things and leave the guy in the past instead of complaining (even if by proxy) about how much this guy ruined their careers.

• MyDarkPassenger     December 19, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Nothing this Oliver guy does is worth two shits. He spouts nonsense and offensive anti-truths and plagiarizes shitty catch phrases for his candyass clothing company. I really do have nothing but contempt for this douche.

• Considering I’ve never paid the guy or his band any attention, and based on the idea of trust in the metal community. I will take your word, good sir.

• SevenIsMyName     December 20, 2013 at 2:14 am

This guy is such a twat. The band mates definitely got a bad blow from this, but to say they are the biggest victims in it? Those innocent children are the victims, and the only thing anyone should be concerned about. The band mates will bounce back, and nobody is going to close a door on them because of something their former band member did. Those children have to live with what they went through in one way or another for the rest of their lives. I wish this kid would stop opening his mouth, and save it for the stage.

• SevenIsMyName     December 20, 2013 at 3:01 am

I had a little back and forth with him on Twitter, and he clarified he feels the kids are the ultimate victim, and more clearly what he meant. I feel bad for leaving the previous comment. I misjudged him.

• SpinSwimScream     December 20, 2013 at 9:12 am

I’m not some huge Bring Me The Horizon fan, but I do want to know how someone can be taken so far out of context. Basic reading comprehension, anyone??? The article is right there, so just read it again. This Oli guy never says the band members of Lostprohets are the only victims or even the biggest victims. Surprisingly, he eases into it with respect, and goes on to say they are “IN SOME WAYS the biggest victims.” Some very basic reading comprehension would clearly show you his real point: to not punish the rest of the band for the actions of Ian Watkins. It’s so obvious he had no malicious intent towards the children affected by these horrific events.

• I think the problem some of us face is that we can’t seem to justify in any sense that the band members could in -any- way be the biggest victims. Please don’t belittle yourself by relegating someone else’s opinion to merely being the product of poor reading comprehension skills.

• SpinSwimScream     December 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Lol you’re funny, dude. Good choice of words. I had a real asshole manager, who used to use the word ‘belittle’ quite a bit. Thanks for the flashback.

As for people having a hard time seeing eye to eye with this guy saying the band is in some ways the ‘biggest victims’… I never said I agreed with that, but the man was clearly taken out of context. Yes, very simple reading comprehension shows he was making a positive statement, not something to be completely bashed for. It’s that simple, it really is. Today’s society does this like it’s their job. People can find something to complain about, even within the most positive things. Professional crybabies are a dime a dozen, and it really does get sick. As if you haven’t noticed how posts with the most comments contain some of the most negative ones. People swarm to what they hate, rather than avoiding it and seeking out what they like. You can hit me with the whole ‘everyone’s entitled to their opinion’ bullshit, but you can’t hide the low quality of people, who truly feel better about theirselves by trash talking on the Internet. Meanwhile, their ‘real life’ is at a stand still. Shit’s sad.

• Pedophilia is the single most degrading, depraved, and detrimental crime one can commit against another human being. The band doesn’t matter in this case. sorry.