Slipknot’s Corey Taylor: “There’s A Lot Of Things Going On Behind The Scenes That People Don’t Know About”

Slipknot/Stone Sour frontman Corey Taylor was interviewed this morning (December 13th) by Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN radio station, 93x. The interview marked Taylor‘s first interview since last night’s announcement that Slipknot and drummer Joey Jordison have parted ways.

Speaking of the split, Taylor told the station:

“Honestly, I can’t really talk about it right now. It’s still so fresh, and there’s a lot of things going on behind the scenes that people don’t know about. So, legally and respectfully, I can’t say a lot about it. I can confirm that—um, obviously we put something up on the web site—but I can confirm that we have parted ways with Joey, and as soon as we can say something, we will.

But, I mean, we’re trying to protect him, trying to protect us, just making sure that we do everything right, because that’s what we would expect from ourselves and that’s what we would expect from the fans. And I know the fans are chomping at the bit; it’s just we can’t really say anything right now. It sucks for them and it sucks for us, because, I mean, we have always really prided ourselves on being able to come out and be honest with everybody.

But there’s really nothing we can say right now. And until we can, it’s just kind of… It’s difficult, but if people can bear with us, we’ll cross that bridge when we can.”

On the progress on a new Slipknot album:

“We’re working on new material right now and getting some stuff together. I’ve been writing some stuff, Jim‘s got a ton of stuff. You know, the guys are actually together right now jamming and putting stuff together. It’s sounding really, really good. In light of yesterday’s news, I know it’s weird, but if anything positive can come out of this, it’s that I hope the fans know that we’re really working towards putting out an album next year. So we’re deep in it right now.”

On Joey‘s contributions to the album:

“No, no. He’s been doing Scar The Martyr. So this is all fresh material that just a handful of us have been putting together.”

The full interview can be heard below and also tackles more of Taylor‘s plans for Slipknot, Stone Sour‘s coming tour with Pop Evil and Stolen Babies and more. You can hear it below:

COMMENTS

• MyDarkPassenger     December 13, 2013 at 4:53 pm

History will probably show that you are incorrect on that notion. Anyone who can be replaced without anyone being the wiser can not be the best person in a successful band. If no one told that Joey wasn’t on the new album when it dropped, do you think people would notice? I don’t. Drummers are the most replaceable piece of the puzzle, unless maybe you have a crazy All-Universe drummer. Joey was and is not in that conversation.

• nickmongonijr     December 13, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Can’t vouch for the guy’s personality but you can’t deny that he was a monster of a drummer, or musician for that matter. His songwriting and rhythms were integral to the ‘knot.

Sure, he wasn’t the most technical of heavy drummers (or guitar players) but the guy is a beast behind the kit and his style was the backbone. Of course you gotta take into account the other members blah blah blah but he was 1/4 of the core of the songwriters in the band, the others being Paul, Clown and Corey.

Sheesh, trying times for these dudes. It’ll be interesting to see how this pans out.

• I dunno man. I mean the guy covered for Metallica which is a pretty big deal considering he also did it with Dave Lombardo, and Dave DOES NOT fuck around behind a set of drums. He has to have some recognized skill. And I live/work in a music store, and I’ve got drummers in my family, so if the drummer changed from album to album, I feel like I’d notice. Will someone else? Nah, probably not. But there are people who pay attention to that stuff. I remember reading their entire career story from Revolver Magazine from their first album to “All Hope Is Gone.” It was a huge story. Took up the whole magazine and by the time I got done reading it, I sort of understood the band better. Joey leaving is like loosing a member of your family…..well a member of their family. It was like when Rob Halford left Judas Priest, although that was a bigger deal for me. This made me a little sad, and then I got over it, since I’m curious who they’ll get next. Could take the band to new heights. Who knows? But I’ll still miss him. If they get better with this next album though, then it won’t matter lol.

• Drummers are absolutely not always easily replaceable! Although I will agree that most non musicians may not directly key into a drummer and what is specifically going on drums/percussion wise, a drummer dictates the feel more than any other member. Like someone else said – he had a lot to do with the sound and feel of the first two albums. Unfortunately that got washed out a little with successive releases. Look – I will also agree that he has always been a sloppy drummer, especially live. But that is part of what contributed to the sound of the Robinson albums (the protools sounding releases choked that out). Hell, I saw them twice live in 2012 and the dude couldn’t even blast – it was really bad. But I disagree that drummers are universally easy to replace. Especially Jordison as he certainly had a big imprint on the feel of Slipknot.

• I didn’t mean to be so brief with my comment, but I was short on time. I understand what you’re saying MDP, but like a lot of other people have said, Joey was a major driving force for many years. I really can’t talk too much on Slipknot because I dropped off after Iowa. I definitely appreciate everybody’s input and thoughts because I haven’t listened to them in so long. I just remember him being somewhat of a pioneer with his style of playing and songwriting. Also, I feel like I have noticed quite a few times when a drummer has left and went somewhere else. @Afghanistam already named some awesome drummers, but I noticed when Andrew Tkaczyk left For the Fallen Dreams and went to The Ghost Inside without knowing that change happened. I could hear it.

• Afghanistam     December 13, 2013 at 5:53 pm

No he wasn’t. He’s a great drummer, but to be honest he’s not as technically sound as the elite metal drummers like raymond hererra, gene hoglan, martin axenrot, kevin lane, chris adler just to name a few. I went to a slipknot show that was ultimately cancled too due to joey. The members said it was something medical but rumors are he was abusing yayo or something. Can’t confirm that but I was pissed when they cancled.

• Afghanistam     December 13, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I mean I can make a list in what my opinion are way more technically sharp metal drummers than joey jordinson. Thomas haak, george kolias. Shit I can go on…but I’m most certainly not for the sake of brevity. I’m not trying to bash the dude. His style was perfect for slipknot. I just don’t feel like he was the best member of slipknot.

• SpinSwimScream     December 13, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Judging by writing and playing displayed on the albums, I feel like Joey was easily the best member of the band for the first two albums, but I also don’t feel like that’s saying too much. The other two wannabe drummers, the DJ, and both guitarists don’t display any kind of groundbreaking playing abilities whatsoever. After Iowa, I feel like everything started to drag. They tried so hard to be theirselves, that it all felt forced. And there’s seriously a ton of drummers, who could replace Joey. Easily. Let’s not take away from the unique style Joey had on their first two albums though, because that’s what Slipknot was and what we want them to be today.

• MyDarkPassenger     December 13, 2013 at 4:52 pm

That’s a rather glib interpretation. It seems more likely that Joey was the drug addict and perhaps they kicked him out. Or they just kicked him out for being a dickwad. Have you seen him lately? Dude looks beat.

• TheNewPlague     December 14, 2013 at 9:02 am

“then I can make that dream come true, too, a.k.a. for you. The point is: you talk the talk, you do not walk the walk — vis-a-vis, you have not yet passed your forklift driver’s test.”

• maybe they’re not saying anything now until joey has the opportunity to give his side first, admit to his addiction publically, and tell everyone he’s checking into rehab. i hope that’s the case, and if so, it’s a classy move by the slipknot camp to not just paint joey as a junky dickhead.

• I called bullshit on Slayer sayingt they were “shocked” by Jeff Hanneman’s death (because liver failure isn’t a fast death)…and I was 100% right about it.

I’m calling bullshit on this too.

It’s hardly a secret that Joey liked / likes his drugs. Hell, even Al Jourgensen wrote about it in his book…and that’s telling you all you need to know when that guy comments about someone else’s drug use.

So, big shock, surprise, surprise, Joey’s still using.

Let’s be honest, Slipknot is a business…and like any business, they have a reputation to uphold…and presently, that image is one that doesn’t have them being portrayed as raging drug addicts. It’s bad enough that they had to contend with one member’s death already…they definitely don’t need or want a second member to die while being a part of the Slipknot banner.

Don’t get me wrong, they all had / have their own demons to contend with, but in the present state, Joey is a liability…a big liability…and the decision was made to cut that liability, cut your losses and hope like hell that the guy doesn’t follow in the footsteps of his late bandmate into oblivion.

So, there’s what’s happening “behind the scenes”…you’ll know more about it when the rest of the band manages to remember the carefully crafted words written by their lawyers/management/handlers behind the other scenes.

• Somehow I don’t think he was fired. More like;

Rest of Band – “Dude, you need to quit that shit. You’re overweight and depressed and your music is suffering because of it. Lets not forget what happen to Paul.”

Joey – “You guys are assholes! You don’t understand me and what I’m going through! I quit!”

• What my point is, is that if Joey has issues or has become a “liability”, I’m sure they would’ve delayed the new album for him to get his shit together.

• MyDarkPassenger     December 14, 2013 at 11:32 am

Let’s not just assume that’s what’s going on behind the scenes. Every once in a while a guy just finds Jesus or something. I bet he was behind the couch.

• Like pretty much everybody else my age who’ll admit to it, I was a big Slipknot fan when I was in high school and their first record came out, but my interest has dwindled more with each new album to the point that they’re a nostalgia act for me. Having said that, I do check out new stuff by their other projects, and I’ll of course check out the new Slipknot record when it comes out. As far as people bitching about missing Joey, I think it makes sense in that he was a big part of the songwriting. Is he the best drummer in metal? No. But he was a big part of how this band’s songs came together, and I’m sure the lack of that presence will be noticed. But if you heard Scar The Martyr, then you know where his songwriting is right now… that record fucking sucks fat penis. Plus if you look at the dude, something’s clearly off. All pot-shots about his weight aside, he just looks miserable and unhealthy, and I hate that for him. If it is a dope issue like most people seem to think, I hope this does what it needs to do as far as him getting help. Like Slipknot or Scar The Martyr or not, all callous vanflip jokes aside, it is sad when people die over something preventable.

• To be fair to Joey, Corey keeps going off and doing the Stone Sour thing, leaving years inbetween Slipknot every time. What else are you going to do if not drugs?

• Certain drugs will cause rapid weight gain in people. Fentanyl and Morphine are two…the same two that killed Paul Gray.

Oxycodone and Percocet are two others.

I’m not saying that Joey is using ANY of those drugs, but don’t mistake drug use leading to weight loss – That’s typically cocaine…and once you quit that shit, you balloon up like the Michelin Man (see: Jon Davis).