Deftones Bassist Chi Cheng Passes Away

Deftones bassist Chi Cheng has passed away at the age of 42. The ailing bassist had been left in a semi-concious coma since being involved in a November 04th, 2008 car accident. His family and friends posted the following message regarding his passing via  Oneloveforchi.com today, April 13th.

“Our dearest Family,

This is the hardest thing to write to you. Your love and heart and devotion to Chi was unconditional and amazing. I know that you will always remember him as a giant of a man on stage with a heart for every one of you. He was taken to the emegency room and at 3 am today his heart just suddenly stopped. He left this world with me singing songs he liked in his ear.

He fought the good fight.You stood by him sending love daily. He knew that he was very loved and never alone. I will write more later. I will be going through the oneloveforchi and any other information may not be reliable. If you have any stories or messages to share please send them to the onelove site. Please hold Mae and Ming and the siblings and especially Chi’s son, Gabriel in your prayers. It is so hard to let go.

With great love and “Much Respect!” Mom J (and Chi)”

COMMENTS

• TheMediaProphet     April 13, 2013 at 7:43 pm

God damnit. I haven’t been this bummed since Dimebag. You’ll always be remembered, Chi. There is a huge community that will always love you.

• MarsupialRebellion     April 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Very sorry to hear that bro, I feel your pain as I’ve had a surprising number of deaths in my family as of late as well, including my great uncle. He and my great grandmother passed away on the same day on April 1st. And my grandmother died in January, after many long health problems. My ex guitarist lost his sister three weeks ago as well, who was 17. It’s been a long fucked up year so far. RIP Cheng, love you buddy.

• I remember the few times I saw him live, just something about the way he played. All of them just had such an energy about what they were doing, but you could always really see it with him and his dreads whipping around. Definitely a sad day for music.

• Dudebrodie     April 13, 2013 at 8:51 pm

So sad and such a bummer he wasn’t able to recover from his accident. I was also lucky enough to see him live and will always remember those times. I’m grateful for what he brought to the world and will remember him for the rest of my days and every time i listen to the deftones. One Love For Chi!

1. Pingback:    Chi Cheng, Deftones Bassist Passes Away | Under the Gun Review

• Stereotypical Evil Archer     April 13, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Bamboo Parachute forever.

I once had a long conversation with Chi in downtown Minneapolis; that has always been one of my favorite memories.

• BlueBalls     April 13, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Fuck. This is heartbreaking news.

RIP Chi. I feel incredibly grateful to have had the opportunity to see him play live so many times. The man’s onstage intensity was a sight to be seen. Chi and his maelstrom of dreadlocks will forever be ingrained in my mind. I never met the man but I can confidently say that I’m a better person for having experienced the music and energy he brought to the world.

I hope his family can soon find peace.

• Fuck, man. Just laying low tonight at the crib having a few rum ‘n cokes and I read this. Words can’t express my feelings right now, just saddening.

• I forget who first said that the Deftones are the official band of theprp. Couldn’t be more true. This one hurts, first thing I thought to do was come here. I’ll never forget his onstage intensity, those dreadlocks flying, fuck dude FUCK

• BlueMoonRising     April 14, 2013 at 12:30 am

Wow. I was literally just talking about Chi with one of my best friends earlier today with positive vibes. This is crushing. I never really expected him to play bass again, but I always held out the hope that he would join the guys on stage again in whatever capacity he and his family could endure. RIP Chi! My thoughts are with his family and the Deftones guys. I can not even begin to understand what they are going through with all of this.

• It’s terrible news. The guy was amazing musician and it’s even worse news that he left this place after battling the outcome of that accident. Condolences to his friends and his family.

• FarBeyondDriven     April 14, 2013 at 3:46 am

First time I saw them was before Adrenaline came out, like 1990 or so at this club… couldn’t find footage of that show, but this place is so small. Seeing them blew my fucking mind. Chi was definitely a driving force for the harder stuff they did, you could see how much he loved playing it. I love everything the tones do, but those early days will always be etched deeply into me. One of my favorite concert experiences for sure… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvZ0AUVI8Yo

• chtimixeur     April 14, 2013 at 4:23 am

I’m sad today. Reading that one member of your all time favourite bands has died feels weird, especially when he’s only 42. Listening to the Deftones feels weird today. Hearing his one of a kind bass licks and knowing we’ll never him hear scream his lungs out on backing vocals again also feels very weird.
      But at the same time, I’m also kinda relieved for him. The last 4 and a half years must have been a nightmare for him, his family and also his bandmates. Seeing him on that hospital bed was tough for his fans, so I can’t imagine how that was for his family and friends.
      Chi Cheng was a good man. I don’t think I ever read aything negative about him EVER.
      As a fan, I know I’ll keep on enjoying the albums he played on probably for the rest of my life.
      May he rest in peace.

• Daniels0719     April 14, 2013 at 7:05 am

Not much I can say that hasn’t been said or thought about this man. R.I.P. brother! Sad day in rock n roll. To the Cheng family, my condolences.

• Saw a pic of him in a friend’s instagram account, and I just imagined what had happened… And confirmed it here. Really sad news, RIP Chi :(
      … and yeah, I guess Deftones will be my soundtrack for the day.

• RUREADY2JIGGLE?     April 14, 2013 at 6:16 pm

You could say “Obviously.” about every single statement in this thread. Don’t be a fag.

• No, just this one. It goes without saying that everyone was hoping he’d recover. Therefore, obviously. Still can’t believe he passed. It’s weird.

• UhMilhouse     April 15, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Didn’t mean to break your condolence protocol. I was merely stating how unfortunate it is, granted not in the most insightful way.

• Still remember putting my friends headphones on, in my biology class, Sophomore year of high school, and hearing “Bored” for the very first first time. It was simply amazing.. It was the start of my love for heavy music. Chi’s bass riffs and intense scream solidified their powerful, and emotionally charged sound. I will never forget that moment. I am honored that I was able to see Chi perform live several times, and can honestly say that he was like no other. Those huge dreads whipping around helped to make their show more intense, and you could see his love for the music every time they performed. He was truly inspirational. RIP, Chi Cheng.. You will be missed.

• Afghanistam     April 14, 2013 at 11:34 am

Saw deftones and incubus white pony/make yourself tour in 2000 at mercer arena in seattle when I was like 16. Still, to this day, remains the best fucking show I’ve ever been to. Favorite deftones bass riff; 7 words.

• He held out so long. On one hand, it’s so sad to think of all that time spent only to die now. On the other, I know he was a tougher motherfucker than me or anyone I’ve ever met. His music changed my life when I was a kid, changed my life as an adult, and continues to influence me to this day. Rest in peace, condolences to the family and to Deftones.

• llyod christmas     April 14, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Terrible news. Chi was always the warmest and chillest member of Deftones in my experiences. Really miss his stage presence and banter Chino and him use to have. I credit him for keeping these guys together through Chino’s dark days.

I hope Eros gets released in the near future as some sort of tribute to Chi’s and his final work as a musician.

• I hope they release it and there’s a fucking hundred-dollar limited edition I can buy so that money can go towards paying his bills. For real.

• SpinSwimScream     April 14, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Wow, this band started the year I was born. They have been one of my favorites and biggest influences since I was old enough to appreciate it. Chi’s playing taught me how to be a much better bass player. Nowadays, most bassists just follow the root notes of the guitar, but Chi definitely knew what he was doing. Hearing this news really upsets me. In his honor, I’ve been listening to Deftones all day. This might go all week. Rest in peace, Chi. You’ll never be forgotten.

• HonkeyKong     April 14, 2013 at 3:12 pm

The just lost the most peaceful, open minded, down to earth people i have ever had the honor of talking to!! Nothing but Deftones in my ears for the rest of the week! Via con Dios brother.

• It’s very comforting to read all these nice and loving comments in regards to such sad news. I feel the same way, sad that he’s gone but happy that he is no more in pain. Chi, you and Deftones changed my life and I thank you for that! R.I.P.!!!

• BloodyBoneKummer     April 14, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Just going to leave a simple Deftones quote for this
      “We’re alive somewhere else
      Still asleep someplace new
      We’re ahead of our time
      Floating through… ”

R.I.P. brotha.

• It’s great to see so many respectful tributes being paid by various online music news sources. As we all know, he played a massive part in defining ‘music that moves’ so many fans, musicians and his peers. I had the chance to chat with him a few times over the years and he was always a gentleman and a scholar.

• There will be no more pain now. At least he has found peace, and hopefully his family can as well. Guy was a legend, he’ll be remembered fondly in the years to come.

• I was pretty bummed when I heard this yesterday. I don’t play bass and really have no musical talent, but Chi was still an inspiration to me. Seeing him on stage, you could tell that he was doing what he loved and putting his heart and soul into it. I want to thank Chi and his family for allowing him to spend time away from them so that he could inspire so many of us. He will not be forgotten.

• massdeath     April 15, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I know I’m late to the party here but let me just say “oneloveforchi”. RIP brother. Thanks for all the memories. You will be missed. It’s also nice to see this getting national attention it was up among the top headlines at CNN (up until the marathon bombings). Deftones por vida!

• pigtails and jagerbombs     April 15, 2013 at 5:25 pm

They should release Eros as his swan song …..a last tribute to the warrior he was …..and give all proceeds to the family…rip brother