Otep Says “Hydra” Will Be Her “Last Album”, Calls Theprp.com Commenters “Cowards” And “Colostomy Bags”

Otep‘s upcoming sixth studio album “Hydra” will reportedly be her last. A sell sheet prepared by her label Victory Records to help market the January 22nd release date of that record states that:

“Hydra will be the sixth and final full length studio recording of OTEP’s expansive and long-running career.”

The same sheet also includes a quote from band frontwoman Otep Shamaya which states “this will be my last album.” Despite the seeming finality of her studio output, the same sheet does mention that she plans to tour in support of the album throughout 2013 and beyond. You can find a screen cap of the sell sheet itself below.

Meanwhile, you can watch her call Theprp.com a “haven” for “hate speech” and label the sites commenters “cowards” and “colostomy bags” via this Twitter conversation. As previously stated, Theprp.com does not believe in censoring the opinions of its readers unless presented with extreme circumstances. The world can be both an ugly and beautiful place and so can the internet. That said, thanks to Norma Jean for their support in the same conversation.

Update – December 03rd 5:58pm:

She has since clarified her stance via her Twitter that her comments were directed towards Theprp.com for allowing negative commentary to be posted. She replied to this story as such:

“I think u really like me. But I didn’t say it. I wrote it. & I didn’t call out commenters, I called u colostomy bags 4 allowing it.”

Otep's Hydra Sell Sheet
Otep's Hydra Sell Sheet

COMMENTS

• Relentless_Beating     December 3, 2012 at 3:19 pm

There is alot of keyboard warriors here, but her band still sucks, and that bothers me more then the mouthbreathers that visit this site.

And a few years back at Ozzfest I was very vocal about the fact her band sucked, and she saw me numerous times yell it. Didn’t say much.

But I guess enough people on this site don’t get the fact she is probably just using this a method of publicity for the new record. Like come on, this site has been around for years, and she is just NOW saying something? Anyways, maybe she should visit Lambgoat a bit more to full understand about what she is babbling about is much more apparent and bother some over there then it is here.

But then again, I think Lambgoat is smart enough not to give this shit band any publicity period.

• I mostly don’t care for female metal or rock chicks and I just listened to 44 sec. of a random video… No sir don’t like it. Although thePRP does promote quite a few garbage bands and I guess OTEP is no exception. I rarely come to the PRP anymore for music news because of that. Oh well, plenty of other sites to go to.

• The good guys in Norma Jean: for the most part aren’t viewed favorably from theprp but still are willing to stand up for this site.

Norma Jean > Otep anyday

• I’m a pretty big NJ fan when they’re not being too Jesus-y. Wasn’t impressed with some of their earlier stuff, saw them on tour with alexisonfire and Saosin and wasn’t terribly impressed, but I’m glad I kept giving it a shot because they did impress me the next time I heard their music and saw them live.

• veganbassist     December 3, 2012 at 4:16 pm

This woman is deluded and has zero grasp on reality. That being said, I’m rather thankful this will be her last album, since now we wont all have to see her whine anymore.

Also, coming from the viewpoint of someone who doesn’t tolerate homophobia, racism, sexism, or any other hate speech, I can honestly say I see very, very little of it on ThePRP. Especially compared to some of the other music sites forums.

• FarBeyondDriven     December 3, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Speaking of hate speech, I’m sure that all the people that have to use colostomy bags are appreciative of her using that as a derogatory remark towards other people.

• I find it ironic that she calls theprp readership a bunch of cry babies, but as a result of hearing the truth about her artistic output, she decides to throw in the towel. Theprp readers have spoken, and she decides to quit making music? I guess a few bloggers really can make the world a better place. Whatever happened to musicians having courage of their convictions? Is the news that Otep will no longer be making music supposed be a disappointment, or an early Christmas present? (Sorry if I offended anyone by neglecting to include Hanukkah in the equation).

• So just to recap, Otep is pro censorship, anti free speech, anti persons with disabilities (those unfortunate enough to need colostomy bags), anti opinions differing from her own, and her image of embracing “misfits” is simply a for-profit venture. Also, after being told in reviews and site comments that her schtick is tired and boring, instead of hiking up her britches and making good music, she’s calling it quits.

So now that that’s established, who else is looking forward to the next Dillinger album?

• Stereotypical Evil Archer     December 3, 2012 at 6:46 pm

If Victory advertises Otep’s new album on the PRP then we know Otep Shamalamadingdong is a fake.

Miss Otep, the gauntlet has been thrown; if we see a single shred of marketing for your album on this website; obvious, viral, or otherwise; then we know all of your statements and vitriol make you a witless shill.

Not that you know how to shred.

Not that you have the ovaries to go through with this.

Not that your presence in our PALACE makes us laugh like kings.

If you’e metal, pick up the guantlet. If you’re a shill, we’ll be seeing more of you.

• mister_bucket     December 3, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I come to thePRP to just read the stories on the genre of music that I prefer, which anyone can do from the main page. No comments are seen on that page, and only by clicking on the headline to open the article can the comments be seen, alongside the exact same article available on the main page.

Any viewing of comments is by one’s own decision, and therefore is something that can actually be avoided, with less effort than it takes to read the comments. There are things on the internet that will piss anyone off, if you choose to search them out, that’s not the fault of the poster, its the fault of the user.

I never enjoyed OTEP, however I do hope they continue to make music, because clearly if they’ve been doing so this long, then there has to be a group of people who enjoy it, and thats all that matters. If you don’t like something that is largely a voluntary experience, then just don’t do it. I’ll continue not to listen to OTEP, and hopefully Otep Shamaya will stop choosing to read the forums on thePRP and other similar websites, and both of us will be happier people for each respective decision.

• WorsnopLoverXEX     December 3, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I enjoyed the lifelike cover for her live album of her playing to 60 people at a dive bar and clearly being strung out on heroin or meth.

Fuck you, you hypocritical extremest. Practice what you preach.

• TheDevilsAdvocate     December 3, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Long time fan of theprp.com since the early days, and I have to say this whole debauchery made me come out and show some support for the site and Wook. If it wasn’t for this site, I probably wouldn’t have heard of most the groups that I dig. Wook created this community and has kept it growing to the glory it is now, and it’s some bastard shit to see Otep bashing a communtiy who gave her a chance like any other. Just the fact that Wook still reports news of this shit show of a group in a totally professional manner shows how awesome the guy really is. Are there fans on here that say some crazy shit from time to time? Yes, but I think the majority of these people are awesome people showing support for good music. All the negativity that comes from some of the posters is usually taken in stride and shrugged off. I think more people need to come out and show some love for this site, this community, and most of all- it’s creator. You can be a blabbermouthing bitch all you want Otep- you just wish you could build a palace like this.

• Lifeseclipse     December 5, 2012 at 6:45 am

Back around 2000 or 2001 there was another metal news site. They reported every stupid little thing that wasn’t even really news. I remember them taking a picture of a promo flyer when Slipknot’s Iowa was being recorded and the article attached to the photo was, “Possible Iowa album cover leaked?” This site was stupid, and for some reason I remember them ripping off the like linus cover for their header. Does anyone remember the site?

• i’ve been coming here forever, but this otep debacle is a work of art and i finally decided to make my anonymous thumbs up and thumbs down become official. thank you guys, from the bottom of my heart. you did a good thing here.

• “Haven for hate speech” = 99% butthurt over reading negative comments about her shitty band + 1% offended by a lesbian joke or two.

This is not a haven for hate speech. I am liberal as fuck (shocker, I know) and I would not come here if that were the case. A couple of dipshits are not representative of this site. Get married to a same sex partner. Raise children together. I don’t give a fuck. I just think Otep sucks and I think I’d prefer to hang out with David Draiman and Ronnie Radke over her.

• I want to stop commenting on this, but I can’t. There’s so much to contest.

She says that Facebook and Twitter are more efficient ways to get information nowadays. My God.

I shudder at the thought of using either of those sites to try to get the coverage a site like this gives.

• Lifeseclipse     December 4, 2012 at 6:16 am

I hear you ethos. I come home from work and skip facebook and hotmail, right to the prp to see what everyone is saying on all this. These are some of the greatest laughs I’ve had in awhile.

• Really? She quit writing music?
      I feel bad now.

Bwahahahahahaha. Ahem.
      It’s kinda funny that with every comment she makes she just sounds more and more like puberty just hit. It’s easy to imagine her losing respect from some fans during the last few days. Shooting herself in the foot with a Tommy Gun.

I’ve only been coming on here for about a year or so, I’m fresh meat, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to tell that this is a pretty massive site with an active community, and that this “Wook” fellow, wherever he may be, is doing a good job on his end of keeping it down to earth.
      Otep’s little cries for attention only made this all the more clear to me, so this is my little “shout out” of appreciation towards the effort that goes into keeping this machine ticking, more so to the owner, but also to the community, for whatever it may be worth.
      *burp*

• I find it odd that she’s going after PRP instead of blabbermouth. I have never seen anything by PRP commentators that is even close to how bad BM commentators can be. Way more trolls over there. I think she won’t say anything about BM because she knows the backlash will be 100 times worse. She is the “Coward”.

• She does realize that we are a nation that promotes free speech, right? With that said, maybe the U.S. just isn’t the place for her…Try China, I hear they are great at censoring what others say.

• MyDarkPassenger     December 4, 2012 at 9:11 am

You know how when somebody bad mouths a band like Papa Roach or Disturbed around here a hundred fan boys descend to argue their case for “Led Zeppelin” of our generation?

I cant recall any Otep fans coming to the defense on any of these posts. Guess she won’t be terribly missed.

• adamonfire     December 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I think you’ve got it backwards – if The PRP has sacred cows, it’s certainly Deftones, Every Time I Die, and somewhat Parkway Drive and letlive. I’m certainly one of the small minority that actually enjoy Papa Roach and Disturbed, but I sure as hell won’t compare them to Led Zeppelin.

• “I think you’ve got it backwards – if The PRP has sacred cows, it’s certainly Deftones, Every Time I Die, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon, The Chariot, Pig Destroyer, and pretty much every single thing Mike Patton even farts on, for good reason. I’m certainly one of the small minority that actually enjoy Papa Roach and Disturbed, but I sure as hell won’t compare them to The Rolling Stones.”

FIX’d XD

• WorsnopLoverXEX     December 5, 2012 at 8:31 pm

What was the prp reaction to that AIC/Deftones?Mastodon tour a few years ago? Besides furious masturbating.

• damn (your mom's balls)     December 4, 2012 at 12:34 pm

You know what? Fuck you, Otep. You’re the colostomy bag. In fact, your music makes me wish I had a colostomy bag so I could just keep pissing and shitting all over myself till I was dead, just do I wouldn’t have to hear anything from you again.

• jakeunknown     December 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Never heard a lick of her (just found out its a HER!) music (although a friend did by me an Otep album thinking it was Opeth – I got 50 cents for it at the record store) but anyone who releases a terrible ‘Sales and Marketing’ strategy for an album needs to be ended immediately.

• They Ate Their Macaroons in Silence     December 6, 2012 at 3:47 am

Well now that’s low brow as fuck.
        I’d just tell any “artist” to never look themselves up on the net if they feel dissed easily.

• I’ll go even further (and not exaggerating, just being honest): they should just keep the music to themselves, and they won’t risk being critizised by onlookers/bypassers, or by fans of other bands if they’re opening for them, or whatever. It’s times like these that you appreciate guys like Tool, Mike Patton & co, who make music for themselves and for whoever likes it, and if some/many/most people don’t like it, they don’t give a crap cause it’s not them who they make music for, nor they take it personally as if they’re 10 year old spoiled princesses.

• Justanotherpassenger     December 6, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Kinda just a little off point, but is your Name a reference to The Long Walk by Richard Bachman, or to some band I just neither know nor care about?

• They Ate Their Macaroons in Silence     December 7, 2012 at 4:39 am

Yes, and yes. Mine, but not enough material to be taken seriously, yet.
          Have you read that book recently? That part is so intense.

• Justanotherpassenger     December 7, 2012 at 11:04 am

Halfway through it. When I came across that line, I definetely had an “ah ha” moment in terms of the user name. Quite a damn good read so far. Wouldn’t think a story about kids walking could be so good, but i’m a King-freak, so my bias is probably shining through.

• They Ate Their Macaroons in Silence     December 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Yeah man, that book is gold.
          Good ol’ Stebbins and his PB&Js.
          What are your other King favs?

• Justanotherpassenger     December 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Dark Tower in general. I have the eye of the Crimson King tattoo on my me. All hail. My first love was Dead Zone because it was my first. I think pound for pound my favorite is “Night Shift,” even though it’s short stories. It Came From a Buick 8 was incredible too. Can’t remember one I didn’t like…

• I found this excerpt from an Otep interview with All Access Magazine in 2006…

AAM: Remembering the excesses and untimely demise of Jim Morrison, for instance, or how about Rozz from Christian Death a few years ago – when do you know when to step back from the “edge,” maybe of madness or self-destruction, and how?

Otep: You know, self-destruction is counter-productive, and at the same time, who are you satisfying with doing that? I mean really, who are you going to end up hurting? And are you just really surrendering? I would prefer to go down in a fight, rather than just fold my hands and say, “I quit.”

Self destruction is counter-productive. What do you call attacking a website that has done all they can to support your band for the last 10 years? Sounds self destructive to me.

I’d rather go down in a fight, than just fold my hands and say “I quit”…I could swear that quitting is exactly what you just decided to do.

Oh, the hypocrisy, It never ends!

• coolguy2424     December 5, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I googled this bitch just to see what she look like. She ugly as hell but I would still snort coke off her ass right before I hit it. She need two thick paper bags over her stupid head.

• adamonfire     December 7, 2012 at 8:44 am

Keep checking back, I’m sure wook is getting ready to announce their announcement of the new record title followed by the announcement of the announcement of the release date then the announcement of the announcement of the track listing.

1. Pingback:    Otep - Hydra (Victory Records) Review - Earbuddy