Refused Issue Statement Regarding “Coachella Festival” Reunion Shows

Refused have issued a statement outlining their decision to reunite for this years “Coachella Valley Music And Arts Festival“. Speaking via their official website, they stated:

“We had a band once, in Umeå. We would pile in a van, like every other punkband, and thunder off in pursuit of friends and glory in some basement in front of 20 people, 50 people, in towns 4-5 hours away. Sometimes there would be more than a hundred people and we would later in the week refer to that as a “big show”. We were ambitious, but we didn’t think of it as a career.

We never made any fiscal sense whatsoever during 7 years of touring. Like most punkbands, it never occured to us to even try. We had a scene, we had some politics and we had just a hint of artistic ambition. True to our swedish roots we got very serious very fast. And then suddenly we got good. It’s a delicate path to tread for precocious twentysomethings anywhere on the planet, but this particular bunch didn’t make it. And that was fine. Most enterprises in life are unrelated to incredibly violent rock music.

It’s been a motley 14 years since our band came apart. We’ve all kept busy in our respective endeavors but we’ve all remained friends and kept in touch. There have been offers, and lots of jokes about these offers. We’ve sort of looked down from our high horses and made fun of people who’ve just wanted to share the psychopathic intensity that we would deliver on a nightly basis in our post-pubescent prime. A reunion has just seemed irrelevant to us. Too much other shit to do.

But then Kristofer got his degree from the Swedish opera academy, Jons medical studies began drawing to a close and Dennis and David started a new hardcore band together. Finally, after a decade and a half hiatus, Kristofer picked up the guitar again. Which made David want to play the drums again. Which in turn led to all four of us suddenly making new music in assorted constellations.

As all this was brewing, Coachella got in touch. There were a couple of phone-calls, lots of skepticism, some hesitant enthusiasm before one of us basically said: “– This is ridiculous. There are friends of ours who would murder close relatives just to go see bands there. Let’s just do it, one last time.” And with that, socialist fag-loving pc scumbags were on the road again.

We never did “The shape of punk to come” justice back when it came out, too tangled up in petty internal bickering to really focus on the job. And suddenly there’s this possibility to do it like it was intended. We wanna do it over, do it right. For the people who’ve kept the music alive through the years, but also for our own sakes.
We feel that you deserve it and we hope the feeling is mutual.

See you in the pit.

//Refused

As previously reported, this years edition of the event will take place at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, CA on two separate weekends with the same billing. The first weekend will kick off on April 13th through to the 15th. While the second event will take place from April 20th through to the 22nd.

COMMENTS

• wearesorta138     January 9, 2012 at 6:38 pm

FNM, refused, At the Drive in are doing shows. Read somewhere guns were debating a one off. I do believe Hell really is freezing over. Is a Pantera show with Zakk Wylde and Kerry King next? If so I kinda made a “I’d give my left nut to see that” sorta offer. Better that than marriage.

• tenwestchaser     January 9, 2012 at 9:06 pm

This is more likely the work of Satan. Refused, the legendary hardcore band who’s primary mission was to vehemently oppose capitalism and the establishment, reunited only so they could play a one off show to a massive festival crowd full of hipster/new age hippies? Definitely Satan.

• Aries Veil     January 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I don’t give a fuck who or what is responsible for them reuniting. The fact is, At The Drive In, and Refused are back together and playing music again. Coachella is looking mighty appealing.

• Seriously, people. Neither band is worth a squirt of piss. Aside from you fake fucks that throw out their name to make yourself look cool, Refused is worthless. Just another one of those bands that you fake fucks will name drop to make you look like you know about off-the-radar bands. Nothing good will come from these reunions, just like nothing good will come from Roth and Van Halen reuniting.

• Just because you weren’t lucky enough or old enough to have heard The Shape of Punk to Come before the countless post-hardcore bands that the record influenced in the next decade doesn’t make the record any less pivotal. You don’t have to like it, but you should respect what they did for music. A lot of good shit came to be because of those guys.

• Aggroculture     January 10, 2012 at 9:11 am

Wurst is correct. Both are overrated bands for posers. “Post-hardcore” is one of the shittiest genres around.

• Weird_White_Dude     January 11, 2012 at 9:30 am

Post-Hardcore is a shitty genre? I have one word for you: Quicksand.

Or what about Helmet? Or “The Elephant Riders” by Clutch. That’s a Post-Hardcore record.

If you thing those bands are “shitty”, Here’s 3 more words for you: Get Real, Asshole.

• Weird_White_Dude     January 11, 2012 at 8:01 pm

@HonoluluBlueBalls GOTTA love Quicksand. Shit, I personally think they’re better and more influential than ATDI or Refused. More GOOD bands anyways.

Quicksand influenced bands like Deftones, Glassjaw, Far, Shit, Even ATDI and Sparta were influenced by them, Where as ATDI and Refused influenced a bunch of shitty Mall-Core, Girl Screamo and Warped Tour bands I don’t listen to.

• adaptedtorment     January 10, 2012 at 9:33 am

I bet this Wurst guy can’t wait for the new Emmure album. He is probably jacking it into his flat brimmed hat just thinking about it. Haha yea everyone who listens to Refused is a “fake fuck”. What a douchebag. I’m still keeping fingers crossed that ATDI and Refused play some CA shows in between the two coachella weekends.

• @adaptedtorment…Emmure sucks, and that’s putting it nicely haha. Flat brimmed hats are for faggots.

• @RCSoul and JohnnyRuthless…I’m 35 and heard when it was released. I’m sorry dude, but they’re an overrated band and that is an overrated album.

@Aggro…you nailed it. Post hardcore IS the shittiest genre ever.

• Glassjaw, The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Fall of Troy, He Is Legend. Thanks again, Refused!

• Weird_White_Dude     January 12, 2012 at 10:00 am

Yes. Well, Technically, Refused came first (Under A Different Name) but they were a ska / punk band from 1991 – 1994. They didn’t recorded their 1st “Hardcore” Demo as Refused until in 1994, Where as the 1st two Glassjaw Demo’s were released in 1993.

Side Note: Glassjaw STILL plays stuff from those 1993 Demo’s.

• D. Ron Hubbard     January 10, 2012 at 11:19 am

At my ripe old age of 25, I haven’t found myself using the term “poser” or calling other people “fake” in quite sometime. It seems irrelevant now. Which leads me to believe that Wurst and Aggroculture are either somewhere around 16 or 40+ burnouts sporting AC/DC t-shirts. (Wursts Van Halen comment pretty much gave that one away.)

• nah dude, im 32 (typo above that says 35). i love AC/DC and Van Halen, yeah, but i dont have a mullet and a sleeveless Maiden shirt on nor do i even smoke weed. you’re way off, dude. Refused is just garbage.

• Duke University’s research department has determined it is scientific fact that Van Halen and AC/DC rule.

@RCSoul…I dont consider Glassjaw and He Is Legend to be a part of any specific genre or sub-genre seeing as how they have a sound of their own…and on every album. Those two bands are actually in my top 10 all-time.

• Two bands in your top 10 all time were heavily influenced by Refused. Still think they’re worthless? Like I said before, you don’t have to like them, but I think it’s clear respect is due.

• yeah i do still think they’re worthless. Good for HIL and GJ. So you want me to respect them because said bands were fans of them? Respect is earned, I dont think they’re a good band and havent earned it. But thats my opinion. I’m not going to like a band because you tell me I should.

• Holy shit you’re dense. I never tried to convince you to like their music. If fact, I said it’s okay if you don’t. But, to refuse to acknowledge how important and influential they were just because you don’t like their music is fallacious and ignorant. If you want to continue to deny the worth of a band that is one of the main reasons you have some of the bands that are your all time favorites, go right ahead and be a fool. But, it’s not an opinion that Refused’s music was important. It’s a fact.

• D. Ron Hubbard     January 10, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Shove your weak opinions up your ass. Refused are one of the most important and influential bands of the counterculture to ever exist. Deal with it. I’m not gonna lie tho, I dig some Van Halen every now and again ; )

• Weird_White_Dude     January 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Seen both these bands when they weren’t going for a cash grab, And I intend to keep it this way. Coachella is the last environment I want to see either of these bands in.

• Wurt, you are a fucking troll. Maybe you should step outside your egocentirc bubble and realize some people might like DIFFERENT things then you do. You fail at life. Crawl back into your hole and die.

• i believe my opinion isn’t incorrect, why dont you eat shit Wyndorf. i have a nice steaming pile brewing in my internal oven as we speak. i hope you like recycled lasagna.

• I am glad to see old friends and talented associates giving it another go. And while I understand music is a matter of choice, I don’t think any band, especially the ones that get a call from Coachella, is worthless. Try writing, performing and recording original material, then we can talk.

• I’ve done it for almost 20 years, pahtnuh. Besides, have you seen the shitty filler bands at the bottom of the lineups? Hardly worth a squirt of piss.

• Wurst, I think a lot of us would love to hear some bands you have played in to give us an idea of what your opinion is based off and what experience you have. I love a strong music opinion backed by a diverse playing portfolio.

Any links to any songs? Actual physical material online? Please don’t just name bands and hope we can find out on our own. Surely with your experience there will still be material online we can access.

It’s just usually when someone anonymously bashes a band and claims to have been in the industry, I just really have to hear some music/see some credentials.

It’s like someone telling me a certain type of food I like is complete shit and they have been a chef for 20 years so they know what’s better. Lemme see what you have “cooked”.

I am actually serious…..I love discovering awesome new music and I know you got some.

• haha wow dude, where in my rants did i ever say, or anybody mention for that matter, i was in the “industry” (referring to a band signed to a label)? Goop said “try writing, performing and recording original material” and I responded by saying I had been for almost 20 years. besides, what is hearing my band or past bands going to accomplish? basically, you’re wanting to hear something that way you can fire back with something along the lines of “you guys suck compared to refused. blah blah blah”. whether you think my material is good or not is irrelevant in this conversation. last thing i need is for you to troll our facebook page or know my real name.

• It isn’t going to accomplish anything except show us what you are basing your opinions off of. If you have the confidence to say, “Refused is a shit band” than you should have the confidence to back up your opinion on the matter.

I am not going to troll you or talk shit about any of your bands. I feel like you don’t actually have anything of substance and are just venting out your aggression towards someone who is succeeding and answering the calls to their numerous fans wanting them back.

I think you see that and it makes you angry you have never achieved such a thing hence why you are so bitter.

If I am completely off the grid and barking up the wrong tree, let me know. Let’s hear some tunes!

• So you’re saying in order to have a thorough and valid opinion of Refused, one must have been in a band that is or was writing and performing at the same level as Refused? You’re a complete idiot, kid. It sounds to me like you’re the type who will have an opposing opinion with someone and will stop at nothing to change someone’s mind. Jealousy? Far from it. I realized how the ridiculous the music biz was far too long ago, so music has remained a hobby.

• I am not trying to change your opinion at all my friend and calling me “kid” or things that make you feel superior to me only makes you look like the internet troll you essentially are, bashing bands who have made an impact you could only wish to match in 3 lifetimes. I have conducted myself in a polite manner simply asking for some relevant music you have created, not even on the same level as Refused, yet you avoided the simple request and went on to guess what I would respond with to make yourself seem “witty” or “smart” to everyone, which unfortunately my friend, currently is not in your favor.

If I was the type who tried to force people to agree with me, I would have wasted too many conversations with overly religious people.

I believe you were jaded by the music industry and have convinced yourself it had nothing to do with you, just the “biz”. The only way you can vent this aggression is by frequenting sites like theprp to literally talk and act like a 13 year old boy who just discovered curse words and cool edgy catch phrases like “worth a squirt of piss”.

That was a cute one by the way ;)

So once again, let’s hear some music man! I am not looking for some crazy tech metal nonsense, just some basic stuff you recorded! Just a good solid recording. Don’t think I will get it though. Probably get another response diverting attention elsewhere.

• I figured this is how the conversation would end.

Oh well, I was looking forward to hearing something…..at least ONE record that you were on.

Guess that is too much to ask from trolls these days.

• HonoluluBlueBalls     January 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Not to get too involved in this argument or anything, but most of us that have been coming to theprp since the numetal era are approaching 30 with a quickness, myself included. Just sayin…

• BloodyBoneKummer     January 11, 2012 at 4:38 pm

True story bro..the Pimp Rock Palace molded me into the snobby 30 year old music fan I am today

• true dat. i always wondered how newcomers actually find out about this website. i just figured most of the people on here were old school PRP heads from way back in the day like myself. by the way, i miss the blue-schemed website. anyone else?

• MARIACHI EL willX     January 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I am old also, and remember a time before underoath/emmure/etc etc, when nu-metal was king. I agree, enjoy school in the morning little one. tell you mother when she is done putting you to bed that she can sleep in my pants!

• southpawchew     January 12, 2012 at 1:41 pm

i once saw ill nino and sevendust and got so drunk i passed out under the sound booth for like 20 minutes during sevendusts set yep them where the days lol btw anyone on the prp in any cool bands now that u guys brought it up?

• BloodyBoneKummer     January 11, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I don’t give a fuck about the venue or festival..all I know is i never saw them, still would really like too…regardless,at ANY show you are going to be around some people you don’t like..so fuck it.

It being Coachella and all,I’m sure I’ll be on enough drugs and shit I won’t care who the fuck is there anyway

• All the older pissed off guys are angry that their music isn’t the forerunner of news on THEPRP and consider all new bands to be “rip offs” or “hacks” that can’t compare to Van Halen, Slipknot, Pantera or whatever other mainstream rock band that was popular when they were 18-23. Guess what, the generation before you thought bands like the previously mentioned ones couldn’t live up to Led Zepplin, The Beatles, or Pink Floyd. It’s called nostalgia, growing old, and having an opinion. If you are a younger PRP user, you can deal with crotchety old bastards bashing new music and learn that they are angry because they lost their youth/didn’t accomplish all the things they wanted to.

That isn’t to say there is the other side of the spectrum, the crotchety older fucks who understand and recognize the change of times…..the progression/evolution of music. Believing that with each generation, it progresses, while recognizing that you have your own opinions and taste, though it isn’t necessarily the TRUTH.

If you want to look at mainstream and base your opinion of a generation based negative points , welcome to being a senior citizen.

Is Surly still on here? That dude always had some cool shit to say.

• Yes, please Surly, come save this dude and say something cool because he’s drowning with this asinine comment.

Who are you writing this too? I highly doubt we have any 50 year-olds coming to this site.

You can’t argue that we are currently at an all-time high on the hackometer and there are a shit ton of hacks nowadays, more than 10 or 15 years ago. If you dont agree, then you are either too young to know or too deaf to hear. But you cant beat the joy of finding a beautiful diamond in the rough after sifting through shit for hours.

• That is your opinion and I will let you have it my friend. Clearly your tone in the way you write groups you into the first category.

I am not writing this for anyone except people who find some sort of worth in it.

I can argue that we are currently NOT at an all time for hacks. I can argue that we have social networks and a massive online community which exposes us to all of it on an enormous scale. We have access to it much more. As opposed to ignoring it and letting it die, you give it attention. Shitty bands have always existed along with hacks. On the same level they do now.

I believe there are diamonds surrounded everywhere….you just need a new pair of glasses to see them.

• Aries Veil     January 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Been coming since 99, I was 18 year old when I discovered this website, and it really isn’t all that different now than it was then. I mean we still have a Sevendust news posting every day, and we still have wookubus at the helm (RIP Pedro) and of course more than anything we still have people hating on whatever the popular trend is in music. Whether it’s Screamo, Deathcore, or Dubstep, we can all agree if it’s not Slayers ‘Reign In Blood’ or Deftones ‘Around The Fur’ it’s probably garbage.

That all being said, it makes me happy to see douche bags hating on Refused and At The Drive In, because it reminds me there are still people on this website who have the balls to talk shit about artists whom have released some of the most influential albums of our generation. Believe me, it takes balls to say those bands suck, or aren’t relevant anymore. I can’t pick up a magazine and read about any new bands influences without see’ing them quote Refused’s ‘The Shape Of Punk to Come’ or ATDI’s ‘Relationship of Command’. So the more this thread spirals out of control (until Surly saves it) the more fun I’ll have ‘frucking’ with the fags who are stirring the pot. Cheers fags.

• it doesn’t take any balls to talk shit about bands online. anyone can do it and some people here pretty much do nothing but that, i.e. wurst on this thread. i’ve been coming here since at least 2000, and you and i both know he’s not the first and he won’t be the last. it doesn’t deserve credit.

that being said, i fucking hate van halen and ac/dc.

• @CanYouTransfuse…i wasnt aware one could determine tone through written text. just relax holmes, its all busting balls and disagreements over bands.

• HonoluluBlueBalls     January 12, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I think junior here is in denial. I don’t blame him though. I would be too if the “iconic” bands of my generation were Avenged Sevenfold, Bring Me the Horizon, Escape the Fate and Emmure. Us crotchety older fucks at least have Deftones, Pearl Jam, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Pantera, Smashing Pumpkins, Slayer, Soundgarden, Sepultura, Alice in Chains, Sublime, Helmet, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, NIN, etc., etc., etc., to hang our hats on. Still, I have no problem acknowledging that The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are superior in comparison to the bands I grew up with.

• HonoluluBlueBalls     January 12, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Don’t get me wrong. There are some really good bands out there these days. It’s just unfortunate that they’re so far under the radar that the current generation isn’t able to see them in an arena setting in front of 20,000 screaming fans or even hear them on the radio for that matter. I fear that the few good modern bands will continue to be lost in a sea of shit and forgotten about in time.

• adamonfire     January 13, 2012 at 7:59 am

For the life of me, I can’t understand what Pink Floyd is grouped with artists like Led Zeppelin. I just never saw the appeal or talent that would put them anywhere near LZ, Aerosmith, Sabbath, etc.

• southpawchew     January 13, 2012 at 10:11 am

dude, u dont think floyd is talented? much less u think they are less talented then lz sabboth or AREOSMITH? that is just plan bizzaar that anyone would think that, animals, wish u where here, dark side of the moon, pippers at the gates of dawn, atom heart mother, the final cut and the wall are some of the greatest recordings of all time, and their progression through different sounds or genres is just steller. they should be reconised as the greatest band in my mind.

• southpawchew     January 13, 2012 at 10:17 am

plus floyd wrote one of the first metal songs if not the first when they penned the nile song in 69 before sabbath had a cd out

• I think they’re talented, just not to the point of being put on the pedestal most people put them on. Pretty much the only thing of theirs I’ve enjoyed is Another Brick in the Wall. Money gets constant airtime and is just bad. Wish You Were Here is quite blah. I’d take the bands I listed plus others such as Deep Purple, The Doors, Blue Öyster Cult, The Who, CCR, Rush, Alice Cooper, etc. before Floyd.

• Our generation also has those bands plus many many more. You guys just nit pick all the terrible shit. If i judged your generation based on the shittiest popular artists you would look like a fool too. It’s easy to throw out Emmure and Bring Me The Horizon but i could easily throw out Orgy or Hole or any other band that was popular that was around the time. That’s easy. What’s hard is actually moving the shit around and paying attention to good bands. I am so glad to see you guys think you know what’s up though. Its humerous to watch all of you squabble over this stuff knowing that half of you have never even played an instrument or recorded a record, let alone SOLD any. It’s like listening to children discuss which is better, a Chrysler or a BMW.

It’s all in good fun, you can believe I am 18 or 19 and continue being senile. Sorry have to get back to managing my strip club, get ready to record with Kris Krummet on my birthday, and recieve an enormous merch order paid for by playing shows.

Or did you also assume I live with my mom and go to school still? Bahahahaha, I am as old as most of you, I just accept change and move with. Quit living in the past man! Would you keep talking about a shitty ex girlfriend? No, you find a new girl and search endlessly

• HonoluluBlueBalls     January 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm

First of all, you don’t have to record an album in order to understand talent or critique music. That’s illogical. Second of all, Orgy was NEVER popular and a7x and BMTH are currently headlining arena shows. Finally, the fact that you continue to take the time to create these long, drawn out posts about how important you are just REEKS of insecurity. Let’s see a link for your incredibly amazing band that is so badass that the merch is just flying off the shelves. Let us take a crack at it.

• HonoluluBlueBalls     January 13, 2012 at 4:49 pm

PS, the ex-girlfriend analogy was weak. If the first time I pull the panties off a new girl and realize that she’s blown out and covered with sores, I’d kick her to the curb and go back to my old girl, the one that’s tight, clean and delicious.

• The difference is I am not trying to critique any bands smart guy. You are completely wrong if you actually think you can critique music and not play an instrument, you just don’t have anything to show for yourself so I understand the hostility.

When you hear me bash a band anonymously on the internet, then you will hear my band to back that opinion up. Plain and simple. I want younger kids who are interested in hearing new types of music, not 30-40 year old failures who get a kick out of trolling someone accomplishing what they admire.

I’m in 3 bands, all different genres and get paid to do studio work for multiple artists. I will be having Pete from Remembering Never on our new album. Something I have dreamed of and by not being a negative shit talker, I have achieved.

Now comes the part where you call me out for not showing any bands I’m in. Unfortunately for you, due to contract obligations, I can’t say. But I will say, two of them are/have been mentioned in thePRP, something else I am proud of…..something you will never know about. I got so much free time and can’t sleep, this shit entertains me.

I’m proud to write these rants. I have nothing to do besides that, look at tits, and play music. Both of which I get paid to do.

Insecure? Quite the opposite. I’m pretty secure having 10-15 albums/EPs that sound amazing and a lifelong career.

• Cheer up guys. These First World Problems of our’s are the pits, right?

Here I am just chilling out listening to that new Anthony Green/Chino b-side and I come across this debacle…..my morning coffee doesn’t taste so good anymore. HA…that’s a lie. It tastes great.

I think it’s pretty cool Refused are back in action. Why not? It’ll make for an entertaining addition to the festival’s line-up. Denis is a hilarious dude too. Didn’t you guys read this? Have a read. His candidness is quite refreshing.

Anyway, I still love punching out some km’s on a long run and listening to ‘New Noise’.

I feel like listening to STP’s ‘Core’ for some reason now and have another cup ‘o joe.

• captian nemo     January 12, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I win. I remember when the blue pimp rock palace was new, you could AIM wook by spelling wookubus backward, everyone thought Johnathan Davis really killed his parents because of the secret track 13 minutes into the last song where some dude told his wife what for, and gas was only a quarter….I’m just saying I’m old.

• It takes guts to talk shit about Refused and At The Drive In on this website’s comments section. If you don’t agree with me, then you’re fucking stupid. Literally Wurst is the only one doing it because knows he’s in the tiny minority of people here who don’t like, or at least respect those bands contributions to the music scene today. The fact you guys all missed my point on that is disheartening. Meh, let’s all listen to ‘Significant Other’, and eat some microwave popcorn.

• southpawchew     January 13, 2012 at 10:12 pm

it takes guts to talk shit on a web site? really? look i dont think theres anything bad about going against the crowd but it doesnt take guts. its a damn website, i dont like converge that much aint my tea but i dont think it took any guts to post that.