Norma Jean Vocalist Cory Brandan Vents On Illegal Downloading

Norma Jean frontman Cory Brandan is the latest in a growing line of musicians to vent via social networking on illegal downloading and its effects on the music industry. A series of tweets from him on the subject can be found below:

“Anyone that has ever downloaded a NJ record. You owe me money. I hope you had enough money today to buy your family groceries.

“I mean “for free” of course. Ya know… illegally. Stolen. Theft. Don’t get your feeling hurt.”

“It’s ok if you steal from me. Anything else I can do for free for you? Spoiled brats! It’s about time someone got pissed about this!”

“I hope you guys know what it feels like to have thousands of dollars stolen from you only to be told you have a an attitude about it.”

“BTW! I appreciate and LOVE all of you that have supported us over the years. I hope you are all blessed!

COMMENTS

• Cry to the record label, oh and the likely majority of their fanbase that is comprised mostly of those who would not even know this piss-ant band if not for “illegal downloading”. Suck my balls good.

• I live in Thailand (no good music stores) so I have no choice but to steal. On the odd occasion, I order Vinyl and get it shipped home to Aus. I need to steal new albums if I am every going to go to a show.

Here’s an example. I downloaded (not so new) Chariot – Wars and Rumors of War a while back and long behold, The Chariot come to Thailand. As a direct result of my downloading habits, I trekked out to the show and spent around 70 or 80 clams of shit from said show (one of the items being a Vinyl WITH a download card! Ahhh, the irony!)

The moral of the story is Cory is a fucktard for generalizing and assuming that everybody who downloads is a brat. A brat?? I’m 20 fuckin 8 years old!

Seriously, bring back Josh and kick this pansy fat bastard out.

• We do have iTunes (i think?) However I do have a reason for this.

Firstly, I run Linux. And whilst I could probably load up iTunes on a Windows PC to download tunes, I won’t pay for it unless iTunes start offering FLAC downloads. Yep, I’m one of those guys! Especially when you see labels like Deep Elm, Sound Study etc who allow you to download whatever format you please.

What’s even weirder is since I moved to Thailand, I’ve probably spent more money on Music than what I did when I was in Australia, which isn’t surprising as there really isn’t much to do here.

• MARIACHI EL willX     December 23, 2011 at 10:48 am

thailand, sounds exciting. no shit! really though, was it Brad Norris who sung with no shoes all the time? really skinny cat? he never made an album with them, just did the touring after Josh left. I liked him. (we can’t bring Josh back after all, it would kill the Chariot).

• it’s really funny how I haven’t seen a single good band complain about this (people like Devin Townsend even acknowledge that it it has provided them with a large part of their fanbase and therefore encourage it) but lots of shitty ones whine about it all the time.

• TheMediaProphet     December 22, 2011 at 11:12 am

I read a lot on this subject and there are a lot of bands on both sides. Randy Blythe from Lamb of God had a big ordeal about it a short while ago and Greg Puciato from Dillinger spoke out against it.

• TheMediaProphet     December 22, 2011 at 12:47 pm

It really was their best. I bought the two follow up albums, but never listened to them more than 2-3 times a piece. This is one case where the elitists are right, NJ will never be what they once were with Joshua Scogin.

• Weird_White_Dude     December 22, 2011 at 10:07 am

Blah. Blah. Blah. Been said a million motherfuckin’ times by a million motherfuckers. I don’t play for the God Squad, Wear my sisters jeans, or have a floppy Justin Bieber haircut, Hence, I don’t like this band, But I’m going to ILLEGALLY download ever Norma Jean record right this instant just to spite this dude for clogging up my precious PRP with his generic bullshit rant.

• Weird_White_Dude     December 22, 2011 at 10:14 am

Also, They need to stop blaming the fans, Blame the industry…Shit, Blame yourselves for signing the deals YOU signed. NOBODY put any of these dudes in this position but THEMSELVES. I didn’t tell the dude to fuckin’ sing for Norma Jean. Haha. Fuckin’ baby.

• wearesorta138     December 22, 2011 at 10:32 am

Is this a new feature of The PRP? Weekly Randy Rants & Core Complaints. Last week was Zao (really digging them)defending this week is Norma Jean attacking. What episode is SLAYER going to appear in and tell everyone to shut the fuck up and play some metal?

• another so-called “artist” bitching about downloading his music (noise), this shit is getting really old. someone needs to tell this dude to put together at least one complete album worth of good listening and then maybe people wont download his worthless noise.

also, nobody has ever made this point before so i’m gonna throw it out there. how does he know how many people, if any at all, are downloading his silly noise? there isnt a ticker or a notification sent to him or his shitty label telling them another NJ album was “stolen”. i’m assuming he’s blaming his shitty album sales on the piracy of his music instead of facing the truth – your band sucks, this isn’t 2004 and you are no longer relevant, not to mention you are part of an enormous community of signed bands that pretty much make little money to “live the dream” as a touring band. get used to it asshole, stop blaming the fact you’re broke on people downloading your shit.

• Lifeseclipse     December 22, 2011 at 11:38 am

All those songs you guys stole, you better put em back. You’re just gonna hafta borrow a friends CD and copy them so you don’t get in trouble. I know who’s doing it, because I back traced it.

• Relentless_Beating     December 22, 2011 at 12:04 pm

This site is so full of mouth breathing dummies who have zero idea about how this shit works for bands. Like his music or not, he’s right. This isn’t the industries fault either you fucking morons. This is people who are to cheap to buy things so they found a way to scam this shit onto the internet for all the little kids to get their hands on. This is something that is killing bands, and labels. Especially smaller bands that aren’t signed yet to a better label, or signed at all.

• Is purchasing a CD the only way to support a band? What about seeing them in concert? What about buying their t-shirts or other non-CD merchandise? I’m no accountant, but I’m pretty sure more of my monies go to bands that I steal music from and then see in concert and buy their shirts. Guess how many tour shirts I’m buying if I have to spend $15 for an album that either has a number of tracks I don’t want or an outdated piece of plastic that will just sit on a shelf in my room? Not many at all.

• I have to admit that Relentless_beating is right.. And I am not saying this because I am some nazi who wants to control what people do over the internet…because god knows I am totally guilty of stealing music. Merchandise is part of a bands income, but I think music sales also plays a HUGE part in not only their income, but how successful they are with their label. The record label looks at record sales when keeping a band on board, so to speak… If bands don’t sell enough records, they are dropped. Now I really don’t care whether you like Norma Jean or not..so don’t give me the “well good they need to be dropped because they suck”..because frankly I don’t give a damn.. This goes for all bands out there. I could agree that downloading a few songs from an album just to get a “taste” of the band would be ok, but let’s be frank here.. VERY FEW people just download a few songs or just one album. If you can get it for free, why the hell not? Also, I am still trying to comprehend how it’s the industries fault?? I mean, I know I am no expert at the music industry, but I just don’t get that correlation… I agree with adamonfire that cd’s are outdated and that sometimes people just don’t like a certain song, so why buy the whole album…..Well….. That’s why you can buy each song individually on itunes. Again, I am no saint..I am just giving the truth in the matter..and agree that it could be a strain on a band..especially a band who is new or hasn’t had very much exposure.

• You do make some good points, but in the past few years there have been a number of metrics to gauge success/interest – years ago it was on MySpace, now it’s a bands reach on Facebook and YouTube – the latter of which can generate income VIA ads. Plus if you have an “underground hit” that has a lot of followers but not a ton of sales, their popularity could be used to link/help market fellow labelmates on such a service as Facebook. I’m seeing bands link other bands all the time – predominately ones they are touring with, or some even give shout-outs when new music is released. X amount of sales is a strong metric, no doubt, but that can’t be all there is. This is especially true across genres – many pop artists will sell a lot of CDs, but their demographic can’t be arsed to leave the house and see them live.

• TheMediaProphet     December 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm

The band isn’t the one pice of the puzzle that needs to get paid. What about the producer and mixer? What about the guy that designed the artwork, or the record label that funded the recording of the music. We’re not talking about some multi-million dollar corporation like Sony or BMG, in this case we are talking an indie label where the owner who supports these bands may not make more than the average blue collar American. But what the fuck do I know? Maybe he does. Yes, buying a t-shirt may help the band, but depending on what kind of contract they signed it may not help the label recoup the cost of buying all that recording gear, renting the studio time and paying Adam D to produce it. I’ve stolen my share of music, so I’m not trying to be holier than thou, but after doing a lot of research on the subject for a research paper last semester, I decided that a real fan will buy the music. There is more at stake than what we like to talk about to justify the fact that we are simply and plainly stealing a product. And the musicians that people like us prp’ers listen to are not making millions to begin with. A lot of these guys have day jobs when they come home from touring. /rant :)

• MyBowelTrigger     December 22, 2011 at 1:59 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Relentless_Beating nailed it on the head.

This has nothing to do with preference, if you dont like Norma Jean, you dont like Norma Jean. This has to do with making a living. Whether these bands are veterans, or just starting out, record sales are a big part of it. On tour, the money sees minimal from actual ticket sales, and make a designated amount of money per show, pre-determined by the people who book the show and venue. The manager takes a cut of that, tour crew (if applicable), and so forth. By the end of it, there is little to nothing let for the individuals in the band. Next, merch sales. This is usually a touring bands bread and butter. However, that $15 shirt is not a guaranteed $15 bux in the pocket of the band. Money goes back to the printers, and so forth. The days of bands making $100,000 a show or whatever is close to long gone. If you see your shows in large arenas, there is a small chance some of those bands are making a decent chunk, but it still filters down. Most of the bands covered on this site are playing small to medium venues, and honestly are getting paid jackshit in the scope of things. It costs money to keep fuel in the vehicle, it costs money to keep the van/bus/camper in good maintenance, and last I checked, driving 1000s of miles on a vehicle can beat it iup. The label doesnt pay for the gas, doesnt pay for the vehicle maintenance, they usually help in renting a trailer if needed, and MAYBE with instruments. The life of the “rockstar” with the limos and all that bullshit is long gone for most.
        I am just as guilty as the next guy of downloading. But if we want the bands we love to keep playing shows, and bring all of those shirts and merch to us to buy to help, we need to buy music (cd, itunes, whatever the fuck). To think any other way is selfish, like it or not. And just because you dont like a band, you download all their stuff just to cut some more out of their pocket? Grow up, maybe your internet buddies think you’re hilarious for being a troll, and you can laugh about it to yourself, but honestly, go fuck yourself. If you dont like it, leave it alone. Smug prick

• “And just because you dont like a band, you download all their stuff just to cut some more out of their pocket?”

This makes absolutely no sense. If someone who wouldn’t’ve bought a band’s album under any circumstances goes and downloads it, then that doesn’t take anything from anyone. In fact, the only loss is the time and bandwidth of the dumb ass who downloaded it for no reason.

Piracy = Lost Revenue only due to loss of potential sales. If there was never a potential sale, then there’s no lost revenue.

Side note: Obviously bands don’t take home 100% of touring and merch revenues, but they do still make significantly more profit of those than off cd sales.

Not that any of this is an excuse for pirating all your music.

• Love it MyBoweltrigger! You are 100% correct about everything you said. Unfortunately, I think some people on here like to use these kinds of threads just to take a stab at a band because they don’t like the genre of music. Instead of just moving on to the next story, they have to give their two cents, which honestly is worthless. That is extremely immature and those people need to grow the fuck up. Plus, those people give a bad rep to us individuals who listen to metal..Because I have heard my fair share of “metal heads are so fuckin closed minded”..Unfortunately, this seems to hold true with some of the fuck tards on this site. It’s not about your personal taste here people, it’s about a man/woman trying to make a living, just like you and I.

• a wise man once told me, do NOT get in the music or movie industry if you’re looking for money. They’re under the same system regular people are. They’re owned just like we are. Only their government is the Record Execs, and only their rules apply. They end up getting pulled into a lifestyle where substance is thrown out the window, and they create manufactured bubble gum pop. Even metal bands have done this. Even Metallica did it. So people started seeing into it, and an outlet for us to get the few songs we need, or movie we missed at the theater, or episode of our favorite show, and we took it. Record labels are over charging records, re-releasing shit 200 times (to the point where some artists are actually telling people NOT to buy their product), everything sounds the same, and whenever somebody TRIES to be different, they’re ignored by the industry. Back in the olden days, music and entertainment was so different. Now everything is the same, and these artists roam around town wearing fur coats, and driving sweet cars, and having at the very least, a decent living wage. FUCK, MOST of us don’t have that, and when WE complain, the police fucking beat us down, and treat us like shit. Without us you’d be nothing. With us you are something. So SHUT THE FUCK UP, AND LIVE WITH THE CHOICES YOU MADE, BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT WE HAVE TO DO, AND WE’RE NOT CODDLED LIKE YOU INDUSTRY FUCKING METAL BANDS ARE! You have helped KILL art with your money grubbing bullshit. so NO we owe you nothing. This discussion needs to end. Unless they fix this themselves (and there are plenty of artists who have done it already) it will never end. Even if you end online piracy, people will still burn their cd’s with programs, and hack their iphones, and even if we have to we’ll record it off our cd’s and cassettes. We’re smart. That’s why we’re not buying your candy-ass horseshit.

• Typically I disagree with mad_hiddy but you nailed it here dude, I will say that there are pleanty of “starving artists” out there but I’d bet my left nut that most of ‘em are grossing more annually than I am, all sob stories from bands asided I’d easily trade lifestyles if I had the talent. Don’t get me wrong I know we need to do more to support the bands we love but the idea that illegal downloading is “hurting” bands… Throw whatever bullshit scimantics you want in your argument, it doesn’t matter because you will always come across as stupid.

• Boo fucking hoo.

Get over it. It’s just the way shit is, and will not change. The economy sucks, people don’t have money to spend on music. They will get it however they can…..

• RxInfection     December 22, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch. You play music for a living, you don’t have some shitty job in some factory, you don’t have a house payment, shit, I doubt you even have to pay your cell phone bill. You travel all across the globe, get to play shows for money and get to share the stage with the likes most bands would give anything to open up for. Not to mention in this case, you came into an already successful band, you didn’t have to even grind your way to the top, Norma Jean was well established before you got there. Save this charity case bullshit for some other jaded manchild who can sympathize. This whiny band money-grab bullshit is the EXACT reason I do illegally download. If you’re not in it for the art of it, and if money is your main focus, and if you can’t appreciate that you have an opportunity most of those same “brats” fucking dream of every night, then I will happily steal from you and enjoy your music for free. Spoiled over-rated brat of a man.

• HonoluluBlueBalls     December 25, 2011 at 10:04 am

Yes Cory, it is you. Now I want you to admit that you’re sensationalizing in a weak attempt to make a point that’s been made over and over again since the dawn of filesharing. Realize that your sensationalizing is not remotely productive. The only way your family could possibly be starving is if you ate all the beef jerky out of the cupboard before they had the chance to have any. You have enough stored energy between your chin and your neck to make it through the harshest of winters.

• Really dude? Do you know him on a personal level? It sure seems like you have a lot to say for shit you probably know NOTHING about. You are the perfect example of someone who should stay off these kinds of threads..Because you obviously have zero knowledge of being in a touring band. There is nothing worse than a person trying to put up an argument when they have not done their homework. Norma Jean is successful? Before Meridional came out, they had sold a total of 360,000 cd’s spanned across four albums.. You call that successful????? That is definitely not enough sales that would support a lifestyle like you have described in your ridiculous post.

• RxInfection     December 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Let me make sure I’m doing my “homework” and getting my facts straight… So they DON’T travel across the globe, play shows for money or share the stage with other awesome bands? And 360,000 albums sold ISN’T enough to be considered successful? And they definitely DON’T live lives most musicians dream of where they write music and play concerts for a living instead of working shitty REAL jobs 40+ hours a week? Okay, I think I got it know, thanks for your informative and researched opinion of my lack of knowledge. I’m a changed man.

• @RxInfection- There are bands out there who sell that many records off ONE album genius! Now that’s successful! 360,000 TOTAL sold amongst 4 albums might get you a higher standing on a low budget record label, but that sure as hell will not make you a rich man. Simply sharing the stage with other awesome bands will not put food on your table. And reality check.. When they are on their off time, do you really think they have enough money to not work a “real” job? And your welcome for my informative opinion.. Hopefully it helps you to take your head out of your ass. = )

• RxInfection     December 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm

The fact of the matter is: playing music for a living is LUXURY and a PRIVILEGE, and if you can’t get past that things are the way they are because of both advancing technology and a bleeding economy then I have no sympathy for your ignorance. As hard as it may be for a touring band to survive, it’s still a luxury to play fucking music as a career choice when the same people your bitching at for stealing your music are struggling to pay their bills changing oil 10 hours a day or sweating their ass off in a factory for minimum wage. No Cory Brandon, I don’t owe you shit. Welcome to reality.

• this debate can go back n forth, on n on, and you’ll continue having bands/artists as well as fans that are a consistent mix of both for and against today’s current issue regarding illegal downloading.

now, oh boy from NJ is 100%, irrevocably fuckin in the right but is not choosing the most optimal of platforms for speaking out against it.

stealing music is no fuckin different than stealing anything else in this world. stealing is stealing, irregardless of what you’re stealing.

how would any of you pro illegal downloading boners feel if you owned a company that sold a tangible item or service and ppl used your services but didn’t pay you. you’d be pissed as fuck too. like i’ve already said, stealing is stealing. no if, and’s, or but’s. period.

• Guys a dick, check his twitter. just had an argument with the guy. Im wjveryzer. I told him number 1 times have changed and bands need to adapt, and number 2, if ur product aint shit and have loyal fans, they will buy it.

• and I actually think hes right in ways to!! When i told him bands need to adapt he was lookin at it like, ADAPT!? U mean just take it up the ass?? that was his exact quote. I mean adapt as in,no more labels,maybe digital only and no physical cds,donations etc etc. Illegally dl is wrong. But the ranting and raving is not goin to help. It just angers fans because they feel targeted.

• EngineeringTheEnemy     December 22, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Times have changed? How? Someone spent tens of thousands of dollars putting out a product and people are not paying for downloading it. That’s a stupid argument! What’s changed is how bands sell music!! Digital vs CD… Not giving it away. We still pay for gas… Food…. Products from stores.. So how have times changed???????? What’s changed is people found a way to get music for free! But that doesn’t mean it’s RIGHT! Let someone take money out of your paycheck and you’ll be pissed just like he is. Everyone of you who slams him for bitching would be pissed to if a bunch of people took money from you. So sorry, your “times have changed” theory is garbage! We still pay for everything else we did years ago…… So why is music different????? Do they owe us?? In that case drive to a gas station and demand free gas… You’ve been buying it for years!!!! They owe you! Times have changed!!! Everything is
          Free now!!!!!

• @EngineeringTheEnemy

The idea of paying for music is an incredibly new (and, at this point, apparently short lived) one. So, your implication that things don’t change is completely asinine.

• BloodyBoneKummer     December 22, 2011 at 2:22 pm

This yells “I’m broke as fuck and too untalented to do something that makes money”
      Probably the reason you don’t sell records is because the kids that buy them only make 6.50/hr working at Hot Topic.

Maybe you should just make a dub-step record

• HoodooOperator     December 22, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Record shopping is my 3rd favorite thing to do in this life. On my 31st birthday I spent 7 hours of uninterrupted bliss in Berkeley shopping @ Amoeba, Rasputins and whatever indie shops I could find along the way. It was glorious. I have over 700 CD’s , 80 vinyl and an almost full 160gb iPod…
      Now, with that being said, I have harsh opinions about how serious anyone is about actually stopping the illegal ways in which people obtain music. For example. One day I went to the local library, took out 25 CD’s, took all of them home and uploaded them into my iPod. Why? Because I could. It’s legal and, for some reason, no one seems to give a shit. Should we remove all digital media from libraries, too? Anyone here old enough to remember high speed dubbing with cassettes will attest to having more then a dozen copied tapes in their collection. Lord knows as soon as my friends and I obtained a copy of Slave To The Grind from Skid Row on tape we all got a dubbed copy of it. Yet no one made a peep about how every single stereo came equipped, standard, with dual cassette doors and high speed dubbing…..want more? I’ve stopped downloading illegally because now if I want to preview an album I can go to YouTube and do it. Guess what? Still there….
      My point is if you’re going to be against something, be against the whole thing or shut your fucking mouth. Don’t pick and choose which bullet points fit into your agenda and run with it.
      Norma Jean is a shitty band with an even shittier name. If your band is good I’ll buy your CD’s, Vinyl, Stickers, come to your shows, T-Shirts, hoodies, whatever I can get my hands on or afford and so will everyone else.

• MyBowelTrigger     December 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm

AHHHH! CASSETTES!!!! My little brother plays in a hip desert rock band and believe it or not, the “underground” is trying to bring cassettes back. Very valid point in regards to cassettes and dubbing though!

• HoodooOperator     December 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm

How about indie stores re-selling used CDs? Does anyone in the industry see those profits? No. How is it that Sony can have both a record label yet makes products such as CD-R’s, computers and burning software? Can you say “conflict of interest?” I can go on and on but I have to go to work. You know, real life with real problems.

• MyBowelTrigger     December 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Aint real life a bitch? The same here.

Gotta love capitalism, not only can you make a product, but then you can profit from making another product that is in turn destroying your other product. I believe they refer to it as adapting to the market. Either way, very good point, three cheers for being a consumer!

• EngineeringTheEnemy     December 22, 2011 at 2:56 pm

He’s absolutely right!!!!! I love the first response. “Blame the industry!” Really? So it costs between $35,000 to $75,000 (for smaller labeled bands to make an album) and they need to recoup that cost and it’s the “industries” fault you don’t want to pay for a product? NONE of you would say it’s “ok, no big deal” if you paid $50,000 to make a product and more than half of people who have it DIDN’T pay for it. Your all liars if you would pay that kind of money and then be ok giving it away! I know you all think a guy in a rock band has plenty of money and what’s it matter to him??? WRONG! very few bands are well off enough like that. Like 95% or higher. All of you who are giving him shit for being upset are just rationalizing your acts of theft. So if a band spends a month or two writing an album on their time off, spend about $55k(small estimate) to record(producer, studio time, engineer, equipment, ect)… WHY… WHY is it ok for them not to sell a product they created? WHY is it ok for you to download it for free? Your sterling $ from artists..producers…engineers…studios who are NOT RICH!! Just because you sit behind a computer and click a button, it’s the same as walking into a record store(which are almost all gone because of stealing music) and ripping off a CD! How is it different?? What because there is no case it’s ok? The music costs more than the case to make! You can argue that music should be free all you want! But it costs money to record music!! Could and should
      A CD cost $17-$20? No! But $7-$10 is not too much and if you download it for free and not buying CD’s… Your killing the bands you love! 1 download at a time. Think about the engineers and people behind the scenes as well as the artist who took the tim to make that album or song. So… Bash away.. But your reasoning free downloading is weak as hell

• So let me get this straight – we should be under the assumption that no matter what we spend on work we should automatically recoup the profits? That’s not how it works. IE, my favorite vacation bar-none is to go on a cruise. I’ll be going on my fourth one in February. The cruise lines book the rooms and provide services at a loss and then hope that through their service and entertainment they will recoup this cost VIA alcohol, gambling, and shopping. You know how they don’t get that money? By making the rooms so expensive that no one wants to go (IE, or make the price of a CD so high that no one would buy it.) If CDs were an industry standard of $5, do you think more people would be willing to support the artist through music sales?

Or let’s look at another industry – video games. Do you think Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo set the breakeven point on their hardware and then sell it at that price? No. They sell their hardware at a loss and aim to make a profit through software. While software has gone up from the previous generation, it is still below the $90 N64 cartridges. You scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours. Norma Jean ain’t scratchin nobody’s back.

• HonoluluBlueBalls     December 23, 2011 at 10:34 am

There are some valid points made here by both the pro-piracy and the anti-piracy people. We all know what these points are because they come up every single fucking time some musician or record executive takes to twitter to whine about the state of the industry.

It doesn’t matter what side you’re on because none of these opinions or talking points make a shit of difference. This is where the industry currently is. It’s time for the artists and labels to adapt or die. Brainstorm. Be creative. Find new and exciting ways to gain the financial support of your fans. (see some of adam’s earlier posts for examples of how this has been accomplished).

You want to know what won’t fix the problem of piracy and the dying music industry? Logging into twitter and directly insulting the few fans your mediocre band has.

• he’s still a whiny ass little bitch, whining over maybe 10,000 people downloading his shitty band’s album. after the record company rapes and gouges them, the band makes roughly $0.07 per copy sold. so, that means if we purchased those 10,000 albums like he wanted us to, the band would be owed $700. so, hypothetically, this dipshit is bitching about $175 he is personally owed. if you dont like it, go fuck yourself and get a real job if you can’t accept what playing in a mid-level band has become.

• EngineeringTheEnemy     December 22, 2011 at 3:37 pm

.07???? your way way off on your figures!!! A #1 record 10 years ago sold hundreds of thousands of CDs the first week. Now 50k will be close to #1. that’s a massive drop off due to illegal downloading! Your not even remotely close!!! Regardless of how much… Let me take $700 from you right now and see
        If it’s “no big deal”. As long as it’s not your $ right??? And those who say his band sucks… The bands you love are getting ripped off too!!! And the idiot who said buying a shirt orgoing to show is the same. NO!! if the band doesn’t sell CD’s.. They get dropped from label and not touring anymore. Plus, all the people who helped record the album are losing. Studio’s, engineers, producers… All the people inside are hurt by stealing. Let someone steal from you all and see how “ok” it is! I paid $25,000 for my bands album. All I wanted was to break even or make enough to record another album. But the album is on countless free sites and that really has hurt the chances of that. I dont have a label!! So exposure is tough… Every dollar really counts. But again, it’s not your $ right?

• Shit..I don’t know about you mr. wurst, but $175 is a lot of money to me. I work my ass off for that $175. So if someone went into my wallet and stole that $175 from me, I would want to kick them in the fuckin dick.. Are you saying you wouldn’t? And if his band is so shitty, as you have mentioned in every one of your posts and is starting to sound like a broken record, wouldn’t that mean he is not making much with this band at all? So there is a good chance he lives paycheck to paycheck, just like a lot of us do. I think you are just being biased because you don’t like his band. Who fuckin cares what you like. The point is he is losing money that could get him his next meal. So stop being a fuckin prick and get over yourself.

• I’d like to see you kick thousands of people in the ass over pennies stolen over the duration of a few years, sure. You remind me of the scene from The Jerk where Navin has to write all of those tiny-ass checks to everyone.

• You idiot. Your rant made absolutely zero sense. If you never had the money you can’t get money stolen from you. And yes you idiots, artists dont make shit on albums sales, we’re talking no more than a fuckin dime per unit sold. Do some research before you act like you know. Like I’ve stated before, how the hell does he know how many people, if any, have downloaded his shitty music? There is NO way to find that number. So, to me, it sounds like he’s bitching with no facts to back his rant. Tell him to do what any businessman would do when his industry changes, adapt and find new ways to make money and get the band out to the masses. Besides, illegal downloading has been going on since before he had pubes, so he knew this was gonna be a problem before he started in the music biz. Cry me a river, holmes.

• Whatever helps you sleep at night fuck tard.. If anyone needs to check their facts it’s definitely you! You’re right about one thing, and that’s that he doesn’t know how many people are actually downloading his music for free.. The rest of your bullshit is just that, BULLSHIT. My post made no sense?? The money figures I used in my post were directly from your post, MORON. You mentioned a figure of $175 and I made it a point that I’m sure you wouldn’t like someone stealing even that much money from you. Does that make sense to you now, asshole???

• They Ate Their Macaroons in Silence     December 22, 2011 at 3:10 pm

That extra $1 could be the difference between a band flourishing or becoming extinct. I cannot purchase all I’d like, but after I buy my little human being diapers and food, I do my best to add a disc or vinyl to my library..
      I haven’t liked a Norma Jean song since “The End of All Things Will Be Televised” on “Redeemer” but shoot, I was pissed when I made a kickass painting for my gf’s parents and didn’t even receive a thank you card.

• If one dollar is the difference between a band becoming something or calling it a day, then that’s pretty fucking sad. Fact is, they don’t know how many, if any at all, are downloading their crappy albums. They just the see their weak ass album sales check rolling in and think it’s everyone eles’ fault they cant sell albums because “we” are downloading it instead of buying it. Maybe they aren’t as liked anymore? Maybe it’s the label taking a massive chunk of the profits? Reality check to NJ, it’s both. Quit blaming the public for your band’s shortcomings.

• EngineeringTheEnemy     December 22, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Look at first week sales figures for #1 albums 10 years ago and today!!!! The percentage drop off is HUGE! your not in the industry! If it was barely anything… People wouldn’t complain. Your numbers are way way off!!!! Small label musicians are loosing tens of thousands of dollars! Not hundreds! Labels don’t give signing bonuses anymore…. Don’t have artist development anymore… Go ahead and throw up figures that are horribly wrong to make it ok to take anyone’s music… Still makes the person a thief!

• How much online revenue was that #1 album 10 years ago generating again, I can’t seem to remember.

PS, didn’t realize NJ had a #1 album.

• BloodyBoneKummer     December 22, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Thank you for pointing out the #1 album part, I kept thinking that was the poorest of arguments to make.

• CoryBrandan Cory Brandan
      @ @wjveryzer I don’t care who I offend. I can take it. Real men stand up for themselves against thieves and liars. There are enough honest
      CoryBrandan Cory Brandan
      @ @wjveryzer people in the world to buy our records.
      That was after I told him that if u put out a good product,your loyal fans will buy it. The first time i said it he said this…. CoryBrandan Cory Brandan
      @ @wjveryzer Wrong again. They won’t.
      So he contradicted himself there. First he says they wont, then they will. But i know 0 percent about the industry so who am i? lol
      wjveryzer william veryzer
      @CoryBrandan We do have to adapt. Its the only way u will survive. Or u can just complain and bitch and turn fans off all together.
      than he says…@wjveryzer Thats up to your band individually. You can also offer it for free and give permission. What if I don’t give permission? Too bad.
      CoryBrandan Cory Brandan
      @ @wjveryzer It isn’t the way it used to be BECAUSE of illegal downloading.
      CoryBrandan Cory Brandan
      @ @wjveryzer YOU are the one that needs to adapt to what I’M saying
      than i say..wjveryzer william veryzer
      @ @CoryBrandan I need to adapt?? I BUY my music. So u think it makes sense that while the world changes around u, u stay the same??
      wjveryzer william veryzer
      @ @CoryBrandan adapt to change, doesnt mean take it up the ass, it means changing the way things are done to go with the times.
      wjveryzer william veryzer
      @ @CoryBrandan when i see a band IVe supported just goin off like that. U honestly think thats goin to help fans want to buy ur stuff?
      CoryBrandan Cory Brandan
      @ @wjveryzer it’s the same as saying “I want to steal from your paycheck, I want 70%, adapt to it!”
      Man he is really not gettin me at all lol

• this band sucks now. i wouldn’t even download this pathetic generic music. For the people who did download this illegally just send this douche a bible with a dick hole in it and call it even.

• HERE WE GO, FINAL STATEMENT ON THIS TOPIC: Let’s say all illegal downloading ceases completely of this or any shitty band’s albums. Will they make more or less money off album sales?

ANSWER: EXACTLY the same. Think about it for a minute.

PROPOSITION: shut the fuck up and make quality tunes.

• philippeletigre     December 24, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I love Louis C.K. Dude is rarely wrong about anything and got them right between the eyes with that special.

A great special, by the way.

I hope Stanhope and some of the other greats of today who’ve made a name of themselves follow suit.

• how would this douchbag feel if jesus ( or the pope) charged him money everytime he used the bible to sell his records! i like this band…….disconnectie is a humdinger of a song! Redeemer is great imo. i have bought all their albums. i have seen em live twice( cory sounded like dogshit both nights, maybe i should tell him he owes me money!) the new album really sucked as far as im concerned and because i went to the store and bought it on day one of its release, i was clueless as to its garbageness!! where’s my fucking money back on that one MR Brandon.
      the reason i am posting though, is that he is creating an art. in order for art to be loved, it has to be hated. NJ is a band that does not appeal to everyone, they are despised by some and embraced by others. they are damn lucky they even have a record deal.
      money kills art.
      i bought OGTA, Redeemer, Anti-mother (sorta-poop) and meridional ( shit) because a friend of mine gave me a burnt ( read:stolen ) copy of Bless the Martyr…
      look at all the bands that pursued the almighty dollar and their art suffered.
      it sounds to me like what little ching they made went to their heads already.
      im in a tiny local band that plays just about every shitty venue we can get our hands on just to get our “art” out there. sometimes we get paid. like 50$ to split between four grown men, sometimes we don’t. you have to suffer for your art. thats what seperates it from the bubblegum pop machine.
      i have a shitty day job.
      everyone does.
      times are tough for everyone, everywhere.
      create art to give to the world, we will all be better for it.
      work at job that creates something good, we will be better for it.
      do not claim to be a christian band and rant on social sites about how people owe you anything, it kinda goes against your “theme”.
      is this guy really asking us to decide between feeding our families/paying our bills and buying his brand of screeching bible thumping bullshit. does he think that he will never have to have a day job cuz he’s in the “almighty” Norma Jean. get a job at a sewage plant you fucking hypocrite. then maybe i can connect with your emotional lyrics better.
      Thats what jesus would do
      actually jesus would probably create a prog-metal masterpiece and give it to the world for free!
      ps i will NEVER buy another Norma Jean record again.
      pss find your self a decent vocal coach dude cuz by week two of your tours your voice is shot…..
      psss im am now headed to twitter to rant about how i never got any money from my wife last night for doing the dishes….. ingrates.

• MARIACHI EL willX     December 23, 2011 at 11:46 am

I was reading all this until some of you got all long winded. As someone who does NOT download (illegally) I can say that music costs too much. cds and downloads should never cost more than $5. and oldies should be $3 or less. I believe this would prevent so much stealing.

• Cory,

First of all, cry me a river. I’ve been a fan for a long time and when I finally paid good money and traveled several hours to finally see you the first time — you guys totally mailed it in just because the venue was half empty.

Second of all, if you want to be a money-conscious band then read the fine print in your record labels. If after doing that, you still sign them, then you forfeit any right to complain about being broke. Record labels and record companies in general exist to support the business aspects of “running” a band that can’t (or won’t) figure it out for themselves — a.k.a. bands that complain of being “robbed” by people who download their music. You were robbed the day you signed the rights (and subsequently the majority of your profits) to your music away, in whole or in large part, to a record label.

Producing music used to be an incredibly expensive process that bands needed advances and financial backing for — manufacturing and distributing records, tapes, CDs, etc., wasn’t and still isn’t cheap… but guess what, there’s this new thing called THE INTERNET and DIGITAL MUSIC. You can upload your music to a site like mediafire and distribute it all over the world FOR FUCKING FREE. Also, the process of recording an album used to be incredibly expensive — studios, tape, session musicians, sound techs, producers, mixing, mastering. Now you can do all of that shit on a used $500 macbook pro with little to no skill (or talent for that matter).

You want to make money by making music?

#0 Really, that’s why you’re making music?

#1 Record your own albums (they don’t have to sound perfect — it is Rock n’ Roll after all) give low quality versions away for free and sell high quality versions to more dedicated fans (a la BandCamp). ORR If BandCamp is even too greedy for you, fucking buy a $5/month hosting account on GoDaddy and put your music in PayPal, you’ll end up keeping about 90-95% of the gross revenue, instead of the other way around.

#2 Make and sell your own merch. If 2 million hippies and stay-at-home moms on etsy can do it, you can too. Can’t afford to make merch up front? Open a SpreadShirt store (or any other of a number of made-to-order t-shirt stores) and build up some cash that way.

#3 You’re artists right? Then get creative. Sell limited edition vinyl, signed posters, original artwork, VIP concert experiences, etc. for a premium. (e.g. Jordan Buckley/ETID, I Like Trains, Radiohead, Deftones, Crosses, etc. etc. etc.)

#4 Tour, tour, tour.. and do your own booking. Make a calendar on your computer and pick up the phone. Read the fine print and refuse to do shows with shitty merch and/or door revenue sharing terms. Can’t find a venue, fuck it and play in someones basement until the cops show up. Get loyal and hardcore fans and the money will follow.

Don’t believe it can be done? http://news.yahoo.com/rapper-mac-miller-straight-no-1-indie-victory-221202969.html

The state of “hardcore” and “metal” music is getting more and more sad every fucking day, I can’t stand it.

• this is exactly what i said in a previous post, however, your’s was in greater detail. this little bitch is just a lazy fuck who doesnt want to work for his money. he thinks that because his shitty band tours with other known bands that he is entitled to the riches of a mainstream artist. know your place in the scheme of the industry. you will never live comfortably off this band so stop bitching at the supposed downloaders.

and yeah, mac miller is some wack ass shit but the dude gets it. he understands the hussle and knows what it takes to make the bucks on an indie label. dont rely on the label to make you rich, that’s not their job.

• Lifeseclipse     December 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Bottom line is this guys statement. Times are changing, labels are not. They are still motherfuckers. Would you like to do a job where the boss says, “Hey guys, write some songs, and go play them for 5 straight months and I’ll give you 12% of what you make.”

• I buy the cds or vinyl of every band I’m a fan of, spend money on merch, etc. (1200 cds, just got into collecting vinyl, too many band shirts) When it comes to new bands, or bands I don’t know, I’ll jack the mp3s from the net, if I like it, I’ll buy cds, vinyl, and merch, if I don’t the band’s beat. When I was a kid there was nothing worse then spending the little money I had on a $20, shitty cd, and being stuck with it, or getting a couple dollars from a used cd store for it. I think I’ll go steal a Norma Jean album now, see if I like it.

• TheMediaProphet     December 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I see nothing wrong with this, when Napster came out, my music catalogue exploded. I found bands likte Poison the Well, Opeth, Dillinger – bands I would have never heard of otherwise. I downloaded some stuff, dug it and have spent hundreds on those bands over the years. Those 3 t be exact, I own their entire collections, save PTW’s first album. I’ve seen them all live and own their merch. Problem is, that’s not the norm. I’m sure MR. Cory here wouldn’t have a problem with what you do, or people like you. But that’d not the norm. Based on your $20 statement, I assume you’re my age and grew up buying music. Kids these days have never had to, so it’s offensive to them to pay for it. They’ll download everything and only a small percentage will ever actually contribute finances to the band.

• Guess what, asshole…today I made another $1,200 doing absolutely nothing. That’s the job I have because I prepared myself and didn’t rely on anyone else, like you do by relying on your shitty label to make you money. I actually wasted an hour of my time downloading your catalog, deleting it, then downloading it again, only to not listen to a single second of that noise. Instead, I blasted some quality shit like Skid Row. I hope you go hungry this weekend and allow your body to feed off that fat gut.

• I trying to be a musician, but DAMN, I wouldn’t Care about that DOLLAR I get from an album, I would care about the guy who comes up to me during a show telling me how awesome my bands album was and how it inspired him, my goal in life is for a kid to tell me I inspired him to play guitar. I would only care if my music got out there, I have never listened to Norma Jean and probably never will.

• BranchDavidianStyle     December 26, 2011 at 5:31 pm

You can’t honestly tell me that these bands did not know the current state of the music industry when they signed their contracts. I mean, it’s not exactly a novel idea to pirate music. It has been happening since…what?…like late 90′s? Did you somehow think that all of your fans are god-fearing optimists like yourself and would be so good-hearted as to not steal your music? Did you somehow believe that someone with piqued curiosity due to hearing one of your songs on MTV would just go out and buy your whole album on a whim without downloading other songs first? How very trusting of you. In relationships, you must be the type to become a doormat and never get laid but are constantly cheated on. Congratulations.

It really seems as though people are joining bands and signing labels just so they can bitch about music piracy and forget all about creating good music.

So, here’s a revolutionary idea: If you understand the current state of the music industry and understand that people are inevitably going to steal your music with little to no repercussions and you’re just going to bitch and moan about it when it happens to you, don’t join a fucking band and certainly don’t sign a fucking contract! Go to school for something useful, buy a suit, brush your hair, take off your mascara, make your money elsewhere, and become a useful member of society, you whiny little bitch.

• What I find the most ironic about all of this is the underlying “Christian” morality issues.. So, presumably a Christian band has Christian fans — and so its these fans who are presumably STEALING this music. Then, rather than turning the other cheek, these guys take the unfortunate route of complaining and condemning the thieves. Hahah, what a fucking mess. I was raised Christian and I generally don’t have anything against people who practice their own belief systems in a way that respects other peoples’ belief systems, but I can’t help but relish in the irony of the hypocrisy that goes on among these people who may not be as interested in practicing what they preach as they lead on.

Perfect example — I had two tickets to a The Devil Wears Prada show a few months back that I couldn’t make. The show wasn’t sold out, so I was offering them for sale on the TDWP Facebook page for $5 under face value to just try and cut my losses. This kid who had a “777″ in his email address and about 200 videos of himself on YouTube singing church hymns swore he would PayPal me the money for the tickets after he picked them up from the willcall window. He never did and basically told me to go fuck myself.. Let’s just say I know what this kid looks like and would love to speak with him about this in person at the next concert we both go to..

Just goes to show an interesting dichotomy that exists in this particular corner of the music industry — Christian bands in the game to make lots of money even after signing their profits away to a record label, and Christian fans stealing their music without remorse. Wave your flags and crosses all you want, bands. The bottom line is that you can’t trust anyone, ever. Especially your record labels.

• I have spent thousands of dollars on albums my whole life and have downloaded some albums to discover new music and spend money on those artists to support them. I suppose at their merch booth they have a tip jar begging for tips like other bands do to say how piss poor they are. I wonder if they actually tripped over a hungry homeless man on the way to their tour bus if they would actually reach in there pocket to give them a buck or two. Thats what a God loving human being would do. I am dissappointed that he raged on about this. I lost much respect in this band.

• dropdeaddalton     December 27, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I am an artist as well, i know what it is like to create something beautiful and artistic i know what it is like for someone to steal it and give it away or take credit for it, but you know what, i dont cause i big shitstain over it, if you really love what you do, then it isn’t about how much money you make. If you love music and you love art then whats the problem? most of the artists that complain about this is the artists that already have enough money to quit and be set for life, and even help you children most of theirs.. so why be so damn greedy and want more money when you dont even know what your going to do with the money you already have, theres people in this world that dont even have a pile of hay to sleep on and are happy as can be with their live, yet the people who have everything they ever wanted are sitting here complaining and whining about the life they have because a couple dollars got taken from them, or they want more money.

• rageofthemage     December 28, 2011 at 1:10 am

I won’t try to touch the torrenting thing without first saying yeah sure, I’ve torrented an album or five, so be it. Most everyone has. But have I also spent money on music legitimately? Oh you betcha. Buuuuuuut.

It’s all about a compelling product. I’ve spent money on loads of music online but the best example is Crosses. Crosses put out a very nice digital EP with the download in the format of your choosing and I was more than happy to download my 320k mp3s, and FLAC versions for 5 bones, and loads of artwork, handwritten lyrics, and then later they released the master tracks for every song. Fo free son. THAT’s how you do it folks, that’s how to make money, and make people want to spend money on music again. But to simply stick with the traditional CD/Itunes/Amazon format in the ever evolving landscape of digital goods, is pretty silly. It’s time for these bands/labels to smart up, and start creating compelling competitive systems that will make people want to spend money directly with the artist or the label, and cut out things like cd’s itunes, etc… and for fuck’s sake if they do it that way, they’ll make more money, be able to charge less because they won’t have as much overhead, and they’ll have less room to bitch.

Someone give me a job goddammit.

• As much as i love reading all these golden comments, Cory is sort of right.
      All these bands are now signing with labels like Victory Records just to release ANOTHER generic album followed by piles of generic eye-candy T-shirts at $20 a piece.
      If i like a band. ill buy their physical CD (way better than digital), catch them on tour, and read about em’ on The PRP.

Scogin and the Chariot boys will always have my cash.