Sumerian Records Founder Lashes Out At Online Pirates

Sumerian Records founder Ash Avildsen had few kind words for would be pirates of the new Born Of Osiris album “The Discovery” (due out March 22nd.) Speaking via the labels Facebook, he posted the following rant:

“hey all you jobbers who like to steal our albums – word out on the ocean (pirates don’t use streets) is that the BOO album has leaked.. perhaps the pirate ship will leak too and sink in to the sea. in any case, enjoy pirating the record and hopefully you guys choke on a cannonball. happy torrenting you cowards! -ash”

COMMENTS

• adamonfire     March 9, 2011 at 11:14 am

hey all you jobbers i really hope you like purchasing entire albums without listening to them first! stop downloading music and discovering new artists that you would have never known about and thus would have never seen in concert you cowards! -ash

• I haven’t even heard the record and I already know I wouldn’t want to pirate it, let along buy it. Their debut made a decent guilty pleasure for 2 spins max, and that’s about it with this band.

• Have some balls and go to the store and buy the son of a bitch. There’s a concept… everybody’s too high tech nowadays to get the physical copy. Pitiful. This way you can actually have the artwork in your hands. Another concept…People seem to be all out of concepts.

• veganbassist     March 9, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Natemare beat me to the punch.

I wouldn’t illegally or legally download, or buy, or go see, any band on Sumerian if I could help it.

• when will people learn ranting and raving about it on facebook/your sites website/whatever will never work. it happens get over it you should be happy your band was even lucky enough to get leaked early. Next time watch who you drop your promo cds to stupidass. and FYI rapidshare, mediafire, hotfile, megaupload is a super “gay” way to download. Nothing like leaving your IP address for the cops to follow, why not leave your home address next time. Get a seedbox, less problems, faster speeds, and no lame wait times. P.S. this band sucks horribly as stated multiple times before hand.

• true statement above about Sumerian. well… except Stick to your Guns. they are a guilty pleasure I have. they’re not reinventing the wheel, but not a bad spin IMO. but as a whole, the sum of Sumerian’s output is lame.

• Didn’t Periphery release their album on Sumerian in the US? Also Upon a Burning =Body are a guilty pleasure of mine, saw them live and hung out for a bit, was one of the only people at the show old enough to drink, hilarious!

• veganbassist     March 9, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I didn’t realize that T.R.A.M. is signing with Sumerian….so I retract my statement. I’m going to illegally download their album and listen the fuck out of it.

I stand by my statement for every other Sumerian bro band though.

• Kent Brockman     March 10, 2011 at 12:30 am

There’s a lot of talent on Sumerian, no need to bash an entire label. Having said that, this news post made me go out and try and find the leaked album, (which hasn’t yet btw). I’ll keep on pirating and supporting my favourite bands through more ‘direct’ means. As for artwork, I make my own, Jackson Pollock style, with condiments and bodily fluids.

• Sumerians a badass label, unfortunately they jumped on the whole signing of the djent wave bands. Like Relentless said, Stray from the path is the shit, and come on the Faceless are the shit too.

• 2StepSally     March 10, 2011 at 7:27 am

the new Veil of Maya album was nasty too. I did notice Sumerian has Bizzy Bone on their roster… like Bone Thugs in Harmony. WTF is that all about?

• 2StepSally     March 10, 2011 at 7:41 am

Also, If you need to sample an album prior to deciding to purchase it go to Amazon.com and they give you more than enough to base a decision on. Stop with the torrents and illegal downloads already. Anyone who is stealing music from bands they claim to enjoy is a fuckin toolbag.

1. Pingback:    Sumerian Records head honcho lets the world know that the new BORN OF OSIRIS leaked | It's Just Business | Metal Injection

• 2stepsally welcome to 2011 grow some balls people download music its not breaking news on CNN just like people pirate videos they did it 20 years ago and they still do it today

• buttcrackguy     March 10, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Who is really at fault? The guy that downloads it, or the guy that ripped it off from the studio and put it out there for us? You gotta watch who you let touch your music. When it leaked I didn’t find it on the popular torrent sites though, just like Human Abstract and Protest The Hero I had to work for it.

• 2stepsally…who says I’m enjoying what I’m hearing when I’m downloading BOO or any other band like that’s music? It usually ends up in the recycle bin where it belongs.

• SteveTango     March 10, 2011 at 7:08 pm

@FP I dont really see dowloading being such a problem. The big stink gets made about people sharing (i.e. uploading) the files with other people. I’ve been using rapidshare and megaupload for years and I dont have any authories knocking my door down.

• adamonfire     March 10, 2011 at 7:17 pm

That’s because I’m guessing most of the music you listen to (as with the majority of the board) isn’t on a RIAA-affiliated label. Torrents are most certainly the way to go.

• @Stevetango – My issue with megaupload/rapidshare/etc is that they keep your ip in a log and can be required by the courts to give up those ips. where as if you have a seedbox (used with torrents) your ip is pretty well hidden and going to be quite a pita to grab anything. Also its really about where download your stuff. Try getting into private sites you’ll find things better/easier/faster/safer don’t have to worry about the riaa or any of that jazz. Finally I personally get better speeds on torrents then megaupload/rapidshare..megaupload I get around 100kb..rapidshare I get around 30kb (if that) torrents I get anywhere from 1mb to 5 mbs..then when I ftp to my box and bring it down to my home pc it goes at 2.4 mbs (the fastest I can go) ok enough of that tech talk and fyi the album is leaked..its been leaked your just not looking in the right spot hence private sites > non private sites > linkzz

• ProtestedGyro     March 11, 2011 at 12:03 pm

After the Burial and The Faceless are pretty bad ass bands on the Sumerian roster. But without downloading, Sumerian wouldn’t be what it is today. This guy needs to chill.

• tentonwolf     March 11, 2011 at 5:22 pm

@2stepsally-Most of what I consider awesome music comes from a shitload of bands that I never would have discovered w/o the assistance of file sharing. If its worth my buck the band gets it….I mean the record company(Loan-shark/rapists) does so I guess quit yer bitchin pal. Maybe if all these record labels quit investing in bands that suck decent ones might not to work as hard to get noticed and fans wouldn’t have to sift through the trash that seems to be dominating every genre of music

2. Pingback:    Sumerian Records head honcho lets the world know that the new BORN OF OSIRIS leaked - cFox.net

• sclifford     March 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Geez, so critical! Faceless, Veil of Maya, Periphery? Even if you don’t like them you gotta admit they’re talented… some of my favorites in metal nowadays anyhow…